Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Colt CM901 on DefenseReview, 308 platform that will also shoot a 5.56 upper

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Cameron View Post
    Just thinking out loud here, if in the future I want an 18" 7.62 and a 10.5" 5.56 to run around and kill bad guys with and I have access to the CM901 system, I would have:
    2 uppers, 1 lower, 2 magazines, 2 calibers.

However if I want to carry two different caliber weapons now I would have to take:
    2 uppers, 2 lowers, 2 magazines, 2 calibers?

So the only actual advantage of the CM901 is that I wouldn't have to carry a 5.56 lower?

That's it?

Cameron
    Sounds about right. If this gun were available, it wouldn't be on my list of wants to be honest.

I would still take the LMT first.

The Colt is interesting, but not enough for me to want to pay for it.
    Kein Mitleid Für Die Mehrheit
    What Happened to the American dream? It came true. You're looking at it.

Feedback Score
    Colt Defense Executive Vice President (EVP) and Chief Operating Officer (COO) Maj. Gen. James R. Battaglini USMC (Ret.) issued the following statement on the CM901 to DefenseReview:

Our primary customer is the US military, not the commercial market.
    I don't understand companies that employ executives that want to reduce market share.

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron View Post
    So the only actual advantage of the CM901 is that I wouldn't have to carry a 5.56 lower, or 2lbs 2ozs?
    I don't think the idea is to carry multiple upper receivers at the same time. I think the lower receiver is just intended to add flexibility in how you configure a rifle beforehand. To be able to reconfigure the magwell size is pretty cool.
    Last edited by BrianS; 10-07-10 at 03:02.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MAP View Post
    I'll be at IACP and see what they have.

Mike
    Keep an eye out for me, I'll be there too. Not sure yet if I'll be rocking the yellow visor, but I'll have it in my bag just in case!

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianS View Post
    I don't understand companies that employ executives that want to reduce market share.
    I would be careful reading too much into that. Colt Defense is supposed to be focused on the military customer, that's the entire point. Getting upset that Colt Defense says that they don't focus on the commercial market is like getting upset that Ferrari won't sell you an F1 car.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I'm fairly interested in how the 5.56 uppers attach and how the magwell works - not from a "I want to buy one" perspective, but merely from a "Oooo, how's that work" perspective.

I would be interested in a decently priced fully ambi lower - and if it provided more flexibility for uppers/calibers down the road that would be cool... but I'm sure the CM901 lowers will be right up there with the KAC ambi lowers in terms of price.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

The will to win is worthless if you do not have the will to prepare. -Thane Yost

Whining in a forum that people have seen your thread, but not replied, reeks of an odd brand of desperation. - Me

Titling your thread "To XYZ or Not to XYZ" will cause me to completely ignore your thread.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianS View Post
    I don't think the idea is to carry multiple upper receivers at the same time. I think the lower receiver is just intended to add flexibility in how you configure a rifle beforehand. To be able to reconfigure the magwell size is pretty cool.
    If I have a both 7.62 and 5.56 uppers, currently I would need two lowers. The Colt would mean I just need one. So the advantage of the Colt CM901 is that I wouldn't need an extra 5.56 lower. I am finding it hard to see that much of an advantage in that. If it was that much of an advantage none of us would have more than one 5.56 lower. I know there are guys that have one lower and multiple uppers but most AR owners I know have multiple lowers also. Why?

Thinking in a military role I might be issued a short(er) 5.56 weapon and a long(er) 7.62 weapon and choose which ever made sense for a specific location or mission. The total advantage to the Colt CM 901 would be one lower rather than two?

I just don't see a huge advantage especially when the stock setup is typically related to the upper setup. I might want a 14.5" RDS equipped 5.56 and an 18" scoped 7.62, will I want the same stock?

While I do see that a true multi caliber lower is an advantage, personally I really don't see a huge logistical advantage or an evolutionary step, when the new system will remove a 2lb 2oz lower that is 15" long from the load out.

I know FNH is effectively doing the same thing as Colt here with their new multi caliber SCAR receiver.

Cameron
    Last edited by Cameron; 10-07-10 at 12:04.

Feedback Score
    Neat idea, but I would not be interested. I would see the upper without a home and have to get it one.

I figure it is more practical to those who need to configure things for certain jobs, of which I do not belong to such a group.
    Member of the JPFO, NRA, and TSRA!

Feedback Score

The real issue

The real issue is 223 does not have enough stopping power and range. No one can develope a round of the same weight of 223 with the stopping power of 308.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by voncoz View Post
    The real issue is 223 does not have enough stopping power and range. No one can develope a round of the same weight of 223 with the stopping power of 308.

look what you did....

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    from the video, either the shooter has some learning to do about controlling a heavy auto rifle, or that gun has substantial recoil.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast