Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Troglodyte Maintenance for the AR-15/M-16

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 900ss View Post
    Great post OP, thanks for taking the time.
    Here here. Never hurts to get back to basics. I find myself reading this thread often.
    Last edited by munch520; 11-30-11 at 15:34.

Feedback Score
    I recognize this is an old thread and I am a newbie here on the boards but reading through the posts I figured I'd chime in.

I'm curious as to how we dispelled this notion that the position of the gas rings is irrelevant? In their armorers school, Colt is advocating that the rings be alternated.

As an instructor, SWAT operator and armorer, I would tell people that it's better to do as the manufacturer recommends and avoid any potential problems. Yes, the gun will likely function fine dirty, fouled and with rings lined up. But this is one of those things we have control over, so why not control it and avoid a potential "oh shit" moment?

BTW, the original post was awesome. I certainly do not mean to contradict any of the great information that was posted. Just sayin'.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Pat Rogers tested it with one gas ring and it ran fine, bushido.

I think the gas ring rule from Colt is like the silly "only shoot factory ammo, not reloads" disclaimer most manufacturers use.

I wouldn't run around advertising myself as an "operator" on the internet coupled with listing my AO, FYI. There's quite a few real world military operators on here that practice PERSEC religiously.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Here's the long and short of it:

No one has even shown that the lining up of gas rings has ever caused a failure. Ever.

It's one of those, 'theory meets practice' things. In theory it could be a problem but in real use it has never reared it's head. Ever.

I'll bring it into perspective, Colt armorers class could advocate that one should always say, 'Abracadabra' every time a rifle is assembled or it might malfunction.

This is to say, if saying, 'Abracadabra' (or not lining up gas rings) makes you feel better then by all means do it; you aren't hurting anything. However, I won't be enchanting phrases nor offsetting gas rings anytime in the near future...
    Last edited by Dave_M; 05-06-12 at 22:32.
    Dave Merrill
    Terrible Technical Writer. Awful Photographer. Lazy Instructor. Kind of a dick.
    Loves Tacos.

Feedback Score
    The gaps in the gas rings are just like the piston rings in your car engine - I mean that they are EXACTLY LIKE the piston rings - in that when you insert the bolt in the carrier the rings are squeezed so that the gaps close up.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Now for required listening, look up troglodyte as performed by the Jimmy Castor Bunch circa 1973.
    I promise it is worth the effort!

Feedback Score
    Thank you for the thread.
    Kurt
    Forum Owner, Florida Gun Forum

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234