Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Preventative replacement

Feedback Score

Preventative replacement

Is there a thread on when to replace various parts?

I have replaced a couple of parts over the years- mainly cheap extractors that broke, replaced by BCM, and I always keep a supply of some various parts on hand. (to include a bolt, another complete BCG, extractors, gas rings, cam pin, all the retaining pins and firing pins.) But, I have seen a couple of things in threads recently that got me thinking.

A couple of my ARs have over 5k rounds. I have never done anything but clean and inspect. I am planning on going though them all and making sure they have BCM upgraded extractors and replacing the gas rings. I'm also going to start keeping a more accurate record of what has been done-shooting and maintainance, so I'm not at this "wondering point" again. Is there anything else I should consider replacing? Someone mentioned the ejector & buffer spring in another thread.

I have looked through all the posted threads and can't find any ideas.
    Last edited by currahee; 11-28-12 at 13:27.
    Every citizen should be a soldier. This was the case with the Greeks and Romans and must be that of every free state. - T. Jefferson

EVERYCITIZENASOLDIER.org

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Mostly Action springs... Suggested every 5k... but I probably go longer than that.

Iraqgunz has been talking about Ejector springs in the bolt lately... I must admit.. I don't keep a close enough eye on those.

Other than that.... a new complete Bolt on a gun that gets hard use every 10k or so.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    there is a sticky on maintenance has some info about replacement parts and rnd count
    Last edited by Guns-up.50; 11-28-12 at 13:43.
    "Courage is being scared to death ,but saddling up anyways" John wayne

NO BETTER FRIEND NO WORSE ENEMY

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Guns-up.50 View Post
    there is a sticky on maintenance has some info about replacement parts and rnd count
    And a damn good sticky it is. https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=61505
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Vickers View Post
    It is a cheap Airsoft quality Eotech half ass knockoff- I just had a student with one in a basic class about a month ago and it laid down faster than a cheap hooker

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    Buffer springs are measured and that's how you determine when to replace them. The acceptable measurements have been posted numerous times here.

When I check extractor and ejector springs my rule is that if they start to feel "mushy" then I repalce them. I have a bolt that is running the original extractor spring and it has about 10k rounds on it.

Gas rings can be tested and that method is also outlined several times here.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sammage View Post
    I re-read that (I had just looked at the beginning and didn't scroll down to see the parts replacement part) -Thanks
    Every citizen should be a soldier. This was the case with the Greeks and Romans and must be that of every free state. - T. Jefferson

EVERYCITIZENASOLDIER.org

Feedback Score

I will catch a Shi_ storm for this but

I am a believer in the CS or chrome silicon springs like David Tubbs flatwire springs for the buffer and they are also available for the extractor and ejector, think I goot them through Brownells'. They have a cycle life of 500,000 motions, so how's that for a do it and forget it upgrade.

That's my 2 cents as has followed my dollars.

Feedback Score
    7 (89%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 308sako View Post
    I am a believer in the CS or chrome silicon springs like David Tubbs flatwire springs for the buffer and they are also available for the extractor and ejector, think I goot them through Brownells'. They have a cycle life of 500,000 motions, so how's that for a do it and forget it upgrade.

That's my 2 cents as has followed my dollars.
    Part in red is pretty doubtful. As to the OP, IG answered everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post
    Colt builds War Horses, not show ponies.
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    This is 2012. The world is going to end this December and people are still trying to debate the merits of piece of shit, cost cutting crap AR's. Really?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    is there a manufacturer of springs that may be better than others? or is a spring a spring and they are about the same?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dravur View Post
    is there a manufacturer of springs that may be better than others? or is a spring a spring and they are about the same?
    I get real COLT springs from Brownells. I keep a few of the action springs on hand at all times.

CS springs might have a good application somewhere... but it isn't in any of my ARs.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast