Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: barrel thickness

Feedback Score

barrel thickness

I searched and couldn't find a direct answer to this. If I missed it I apologize

What are the real differences in performance between a lighter barrel

Like a scar16 or ddm4 lightweight and the standard

M4 or government profile barrels. I know Larry vickers uses a

Lightweight on his signature carbine, but most other well known

Instructors appear to use the heavier barrels as does the .mil crowd.
    TN Handgun Carry Permit Instructor
    Employee: Franklin Gun Shop LLC

"I mean I didn't invent the turtleneck Lana, but I was the first to recognize its potential as a tactical garment. Tactical turtleneck Lana, the tactalneck"

Go tell that long tongue liar
    Go and tell that midnight rider
    Tell the rambler, the gambler, the back biter
    Tell 'em that God's gonna cut 'em down
    Tell 'em that God's gonna cut 'em down
    -Johnny Cash

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    The military uses the M4 profile for mounting the M203. The M4 profile is also military standard, something that is very hard to change.

Lightweight profiles are ideal for patrol situations and are just the preference of some people. You just have to decide if the reduced weight is a real benefit for you
    Last edited by Eric D.; 03-10-11 at 23:06.
    B.A.S. Mechanical Engineering Technology

Feedback Score
    Performance is relative to requirements. More mass takes longer to heat up and is slower to cool, for lightweight the opposite. Temperature affects POI, lifespan among other things. Barrels also flex to some degree, thicker is stiffer. Lightweight weighs less -.- There are times when not having a boat anchor is advantageous.
    Last edited by ZRH; 03-10-11 at 23:12. Reason: affects not effects

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    I went through all the lightweight barrel options, even looking at Noveske's NST line of barrels on my last carbine.

In the end, I wouldn't give up accuracy/durability for weight. You can save a few ounces a number of ways.

If you want a rifle for taking classes with, I would consider one with a lightweight profile. There aren't too many which stretch beyond 50 yards, the accuracy difference isn't there.

Ammo selection is just important as barrel when it comes to accuracy too. If you aren't willing to reload or buy 75-77gr match ammo...you may never notice a difference.

In a conversation with DD about the S2W barrel profile they now offer, the rep said they are shooting about 1.5 MOA, out of a chrome lined barrel. 2-2.5 MOA out of the lightweight.

If you are considering getting a suppressor, i've read that lightweight barrels have a greater POI change when going between supressed/unsuppressed. I won't get to test this until my C&R license comes back.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    [QUOTE=If you are considering getting a suppressor, i've read that lightweight barrels have a greater POI change when going between supressed/unsuppressed. I won't get to test this until my C&R license comes back. [/QUOTE]

How will a C & R License help you test this?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by darr3239 View Post
    How will a C & R License help you test this?
    Probably with a WWII C&R suppressor. Just a guess...

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Not many WWII supressors running around.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Missouri state law requires you to have an FFL to own a SBR or supressor. A C&R license (FFL Type 03) satisifies this requirement. Nothing to do with a modern supressor, but works none the less.
    Last edited by bp7178; 03-11-11 at 02:29.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Didn't Molon do some accuracy testing of different barrel profiles against one another? I can't find it now but if he hasn't he should.

If you're going to be using an RDS, and shooting XM193, agonizing over the potential accuracy loss in going from a GI-profile barrel to a lighter weight is silly.

and, to make sure that the point is not lost...
    Everything that can be done to a gun with a heavier barrel to reduce weight can also be done to a gun with a lightweight barrel to get it even lighter. Preferring lighter weight with the same functionality is not a function of strength but of intelligent gear choice. Choosing a heavier tool when the lighter tool will do is not rational. No matter if you're peewee Herman or Charles Atlas, everyone is governed by the fomula:
    you can carry X pounds for Y amount of time. As X increases Y decreases, and as X decreases Y increases.
    PeeWee's X and Y may be lower than Atlas', but they are both governed by the same formula.

Personally, if I need a finer degree of accuracy I'm not choosing a "milspec" style barrel anyway. I'd go with a stainless steel barrel from Noveske or BCM. But if choosing the Noveske I'd still go with their lighter profile.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    The thicker the barrel.... the SWEETER the juice!!!

MacDonalds straws aren't barrels.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast