Thread: Bolt action "trunk gun" (practical rifle) project

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Bolt action "trunk gun" (practical rifle) project

I've been considering building a "trunk gun" (or walking rifle) for several years. The goal is a lightweight carbine in .308 with a 1-4x scope that is suitable for hunting and personal defense out to about 200 yards. Something that is the antithesis of a tactical rifle - skinny barrel, low magnification optics, a sling and light weight. Accuracy requirements are pretty basic - if I can consistently hold it to 2 MOA I'm happy.

I was planning on building off a Tikka T3 lite in .308 but the budget never came along; the idea has been percolating away in the meantime. I originally started out planning a true Scout build, but as time has passed I've decided I'd be better served with something similar but not strictly a Scout.

I recently discovered Savage's inexpensive line of Stevens rifles. I was surprised to find a Stevens 200 in .308 would only set me back about $300 out the door on sale. I did a bit of research on the model; it's basically a pre-Accutrigger Savage 10 and it has a very good reputation. I actually prefer the blind magazine over a detachable box; a hinged baseplate would be even better, but I'll live. I do like the three position safety for a field gun and the factory trigger has a reputation for being very tunable.

I'm planning for a low power variable such as a Leupold VX-II 1-4x, a Leupold Mark AR 1.5-4x or a Nikon Monarch African 1-4x. I might get lucky and find a used AccuPoint 1-4x or 1.25-4x that's affordable. Something illuminated would be nice to have.

I'm also strongly considering having the 22" barrel taken down to 18" and having the barreled action Duracoted or parked.

I should have the rifle home within a few weeks; I'll try and document how the project goes. I wasn't planning on building this one right now so a lot of decisions remain to be made!
    Last edited by HeavyDuty; 08-21-10 at 20:37. Reason: Title ediu
    Ken in Texas