Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sig P228R 10 cases Range Report, and detail strip (56k - lots of pictures)

Feedback Score
    great job thanks for the write up.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Cool writeup. I'm going to miss the P228's. I've got a decent stock of parts for my last two, but my last 229R was not great. It sounds like SIG's making progress on those issues though. Of my three daily carries, only one is younger than 15 years old (2 P228's, and one 21 year old P7). It may be time to modernize.

PPGMD, have you shot the new 226/9 with the straight sides? Any comparison from your 228 to that?

N

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Thank you.

Man, this was an excellent technical write-up. The photos speak for themselves.

Appreciate the work!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by PPGMD View Post
    Also since parts availability for the carbon steel slides is iffy I don't want to push it too much.
    I have a Sig P228 that I like, though I don't shoot it much. What parts do I have to worry about getting replaced?

I guess I ahd bettter get them done proactively.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by noops View Post
    PPGMD, have you shot the new 226/9 with the straight sides? Any comparison from your 228 to that?
    I've shot the E2 style P229R slide about 300 rounds now. It has a bit more muzzle flip then the P228R but it's a real minor difference, not noticeable unless you are shooting them side by side. If you've shot a P229R 9mm, it's the same feel. My source at Sig tells me that they designed the new slide so it doesn't increase the slide mass.

Now holster fit is might be an issue, the E2 style slide feels real tight in my P226R, and P229R holsters. Not too tight that I can't draw, but tighter then my P228R in those holsters. Anyways I won't know for sure until I put it on a timer.
    Last edited by PPGMD; 06-14-10 at 15:32.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed L. View Post
    I have a Sig P228 that I like, though I don't shoot it much. What parts do I have to worry about getting replaced?

I guess I ahd bettter get them done proactively.
    My opinion extractors, the only other hard to get part is the breech block, but you seriously need to shoot a lot to break one of those. The rest of the parts are fairly available.

But also parts have been becoming increasingly available. When I bought the P228R, neither the extractors nor the breech block were available open market.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Great post. Very informative. I'm surprised there is so little wear on the slide though. That must be a better finish than the one on my 228.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12