Thread: Sig P228R 10 cases Range Report, and detail strip (56k - lots of pictures)

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score

Sig P228R 10 cases Range Report, and detail strip (56k - lots of pictures)

Well broke 10 cases this week end, logging officially (probably had a couple hundred unlogged rounds) 10,024 rounds through my P228R.

Starting on 03/25/2009 (mistyped it as 03/25/2010), followed up with a total of 55 range trips where it was shot, including 13 training classes for 103 hours of training.

Not too much wear on the important parts, just a couple of chips missing on the bottom of the frame rails, with the same streaks from the 5k picture on the top of the rails. I did expect a bit more wear on the controls, my P226R SCT had much more wear at the same point in it's life.

Since I am following the parts replacement schedule I replace the recoil spring, roll pins, slide lock spring, and decocking lever spring. I also replaced the main spring since I run a reduced power main spring (18lbs).

I also mainly shoot two magazines that came with it for my range time. Not being cheap (I have over 20 P228/P229 9mm mags), just wanted to see where they will break, they are only cleaned when they malfunction, and dropped 50 or so times per a range trip. Those have been functioning 100% despite being EXTREMELY dirty.

Anyways this might be my last update on this gun for a while. Since it's my EDC I have to clean it after every range trip. Also since parts availability for the carbon steel slides is iffy I don't want to push it too much. So I've decided that my P229R 22 Classic, with it's Caliber X-change kit will be my weekly shooter.

I am still going to carry my P228R, and I will be shooting it once a month, but only once a month. My week to week shooting, and training will be done with the P229R.

I've been taking pictures, to track the wear, below are the links to the first two sets.
    New-
    http://www.lazyeights.net/Avion/P228R/

5k-
    http://www.lazyeights.net/Avio...28R_5K_Detail_Strip/

10k-

Last edited by PPGMD; 06-16-10 at 08:09. Reason: I mistyped the date