Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buying a beater G19- what to R&R?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Buying a beater G19- what to R&R?

I've decided to pick up another Glock from my brother's neighbor. This one is a 3rd gen G19 with an unknown round count. It looks pretty clean, but fails the vertical recoil spring test. The current owner (he's the second) has informed me that it has had three FTFs and two FTEs over the last 1,000 rounds using cheap ammo. He keeps it very clean and well lubed, so that's not the issue. I thought about staying away from this particular deal, but it's really inexpensive at < $300.

Other than the recoil assembly are there other parts I preemptively replace or just send it to an armorer to look over?

Thanks.

Gene

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    It's been a while but I pulled maintenance on them in the past, had the armorer's class, had the armorer's manual. (Now dated, like me.)

Replacement of all springs would be prudent, as would be a close inspection of the extractor. Glock tends to do upgrades on a regular basis, but none are urgent IMHO. By way of illustration I gave my my daughter a new M19 in 1993 and the only part replaced after considerable use has been the recoil spring assembly. I personally am not a big Glock fan but they do resemble the Duracell rabbit. They don't need much.

Someone else may chime in here.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    For $300? Jump on it and replace the recoil spring!

Feedback Score

Armorer's Manual

The following thread has a link to the Glock Armorer's Manual. I haven't looked through it yet for maintenance intervals, but I would think that they are in there:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=1915

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I wouldn't worry about replacing too many parts right now. The first thing I would do is strip it down and give it a good cleaning and inspection.

Make sure the FP channel is clean, inspect the extractor, verify the slide lock spring is the updated model, replace the recoil sping and put the whole thing back together.

Get several hundred rounds through it before you start worrying about anything else.
    Last edited by M4arc; 06-15-10 at 08:55.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by M4arc View Post
    I would worry about replacing too many parts right now. The first thing I would do is strip it down and give it a good cleaning and inspection.

Make sure the FP channel is clean, inspect the extractor, verify the slide lock spring is the updated model, replace the recoil sping and put the whole thing back together.

Get several hundred rounds through it before you start worrying about anything else.
    Ditto. For $300,I'd jerk the guy's shoulder out of joint getting it from him.
    A fine is a tax for doing wrong.A tax is a fine for doing well.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)

well

If you dont take it I will buy it just send me a PM my wife stole mine as her off duty gun when she got hired.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Thanks all! I'm going to give it a thorough cleaning and follow M4arc's advice.

Dunderway- thanks for the link. I read the manual thoroughly last night.

It's a killer deal and I'm going to jump on it. FWIW, the primary reason it's selling for so little is because my brother did some work for the guy. Ready for this...it's less than $300...like $250!

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)

well

It sure seams unfair to hate you cause I dont know you and im jelous. Congrats on the great deal man.

Jon

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I would replace the trigger return spring also...cheap insurance

GU
    DVC
    ABS : Cars = CTC Lasers : Pistols

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast