Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Carbine vs. Mid-length for occasional shooter

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Carbine vs. Mid-length for occasional shooter

I don't shoot my AR as much as I'd like, maybe once of twice a month (~200 rounds each time). My AR started life as M&P15MOE, with a carbine gas system & 1/9 twist. I read about advantages of the mid-length system, but would I benefit from it? I can probably sell current barrel to offset the cost and go with a BCM mid length barrel with 1/7 twist.

My rifle is all apart as I install TRX Extreme rail, so it would be no big deal to put in a different barrel at this time.
    NevadaGunOwners.com | Reno4x4.com | GOA Life Member

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I would rather have a midlength than a carbine, but selling what you already have for one? That's up to you.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Middy systems are a fad.
    Last edited by organdonor; 06-29-10 at 11:23.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    The stripped barrel from BCM would run you $229, plus $13 more for a mid-length gas tube. Is your rail long enough for a mid-system? Or would you also need handguards? I figured you would be keeping your front sight, but if not that is also an extra cost. You could reach north of $300 real easy. What is your budget?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    If you are building a whole new rifle I would say go middy. I think sometimes you have to ask yourself if you have skills that are limited by your rifle. I have three carbines and cannot outshoot them at this stage in my game.
    Last edited by 1911pro; 06-29-10 at 14:03.
    "No you do not have to think; it is an act of moral choice. But someone had to think to keep you alive; if you choose to default, you default on existance and you pass the deficit to some moral man, expecting him to sacrifice his good for the sake of letting you survive by your evil." - John Galt

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lnxgeek View Post
    The stripped barrel from BCM would run you $229, plus $13 more for a mid-length gas tube. Is your rail long enough for a mid-system? Or would you also need handguards? I figured you would be keeping your front sight, but if not that is also an extra cost. You could reach north of $300 real easy. What is your budget?
    I have an 11" TRX Extreme rail, so it will cover mid-length gas system. I already have a front MBUS amd Troy low-profile gas block, so my investment would just be in a new barrel and new gas tube, then I'd sell existing barrel, so my total upgrade costs would be around $150.

I'm just wondering if I would notice any benefits for how much I shoot, or is it really just a fad, as another poster said?
    Last edited by dennisuello; 06-29-10 at 13:59.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by organdonor View Post
    Middy systems are a fad.
    Why do you say this?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    the biggest thing would be the added handguard length so you can get your hand further up and therefore be able to retract the buttstock some and have better balance. Of course there's the reduced recoil, longer sight radius, and other benefits as well. Carbine just have no advantage I can see over a midlength.

Since you dont shoot a whole lot then it might not be worth it. Maybe if you build a new rifle it would be good to select a midlength.

I've shot a S&W M&P15 and it had noticeably more recoil than my BCM midlength + H buffer.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ForTehNguyen View Post
    the biggest thing would be the added handguard length so you can get your hand further up and therefore be able to retract the buttstock some and have better balance. Of course there's the reduced recoil, longer sight radius, and other benefits as well. Carbine just have no advantage I can see over a midlength.

Since you dont shoot a whole lot then it might not be worth it. Maybe if you build a new rifle it would be good to select a midlength.

I've shot a S&W M&P15 and it had noticeably more recoil than my BCM midlength + H buffer.
    I will have an 11" long handguard, so the benefits of placing the support hand further out as well as placing the front sight further forward will be there regardless of the gas system.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    dennisuello,
    My experience is that my middy upper gives me less felt recoil, than a similar carbine upper. Going to a 1 in 7 twist gives you the option of shooting heavier bullets. But if you mostly shoot 55 grain fmj, maybe you do not need that.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast