Page 73 of 172 FirstFirst ... 2363717273747583123 ... LastLast

Thread: Battle Comp muzzle brake

Feedback Score
    Looking forward to the 1.5 version for my SOCOM barrelled KISS carbine. I'm assuming you'll make the 1.5 in SS as well? The carbine will be new parts except for the furniture, and I'm building it as a 'truck gun' / go to / SHTF / TEOTWAWKI gun. New components, but beatup looking, with paint - nothing special...except for the battlecomp that is. It's really going to be a function over prettiness gun, one I don't have to worry about scratching, and one I plan on shooting the piss out of. I'm nearly there...

Feedback Score
    I must admit I am a more than biased observer, but to those who worry about lifespan of the BC. You must ask yourself the following question, "What is the purpose of your carbine/rifle use?" If it is for defending your life and laying waste to your enemies; the increased recoil reduction and ability to place more rounds on target, with greater effect, in a shorter time frame, make a shorter life span worthwhile. If you want to get 60k rounds out of your BC, and go through three uppers while doing so, it may not fit your bill.

The BC is a game-changer. If you need to win a gunfight, it's worth the skrilla; if it's just a game, maybe not. If you want to win the game, however, it's still the best thing out there for shooting near dirt, gravel and all of the other things that shifty match directors come up with!

As an aside, we haven't found anybody who has worn one out, yet.
    Last edited by Patrick Aherne; 08-13-10 at 18:15. Reason: change in content
    Affiliated with BattleComp Enterprises, LLC

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mtdawg169 View Post
    I pratically never run Wolf ammo, but I shot up 20 rounds the other day while performing a little test with my BC equipped SR15 E3. Each shot resulted in a small shower of sparks from the comp. Does Wolf usually have alot of flash? I have shot Centurion .223, LC M193, Hornady, BH and Guat M193 through the BC and none of them exhibited any significant flash during daylight or on an indoor range with average lighting, except for that Wolf ammo.
    I haven't noticed it nor observed it in others shooting my weapon. I currently have 500+ rounds of wolf through my BC so far and I shoot on a dimly lite indoor range. As others have stated, the "Muzzle Flash" is approximate to that of an A2, but no unusual sparking has been observed, since I'm practically staring at the BC when others shoot it.
    For God and the soldier we adore, In time of danger, not before! The danger passed, and all things righted, God is forgotten and the soldier slighted." - Rudyard Kipling

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I think the sparking you get with wolf is tiny bits of iron eroding off the base of the jacket. where the plating is thin or non-existant. What you are seeing is the almost microscopic bits of iron burning as it exits the muzzle.

Most wolf .223 is now bi-metal meaning it has a steel substrate in the jacket.

I have noticed the same thing in 7.62x39 and 54r and 5.45 steel jacketed ammo before too.

I noticed it with Brown Bear thru an old 12 slot VLTOR comp/FH at the LAV Adv Class night fire three weeks ago.
    Last edited by Heavy Metal; 08-13-10 at 20:58.
    My brother saw Deliverance and bought a Bow. I saw Deliverance and bought an AR-15.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Heavy Metal View Post
    I think the sparking you get with wolf is tiny bits of iron eroding off the base of the jacket. where the plating is thin or non-existant. What you are seeing is the almost microscopic bits of iron burning as it exits the muzzle.

Most wolf .223 is now bi-metal meaning it has a steel substrate in the jacket.

I have noticed the same thing in 7.62x39 and 54r and 5.45 steel jacketed ammo before too.

I noticed it with Brown Bear thru an old 12 slot VLTOR comp/FH at the LAV Adv Class night fire three weeks ago.
    That is an ineresting theory. I don't think what I observed was related to the BC, but more likely it was something to do with the Wolf ammo. I thought it may have been a funky batch of powder, but you make an interesting point about the bi-metal jacket of the wolf bullets.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TRUST8383 View Post
    Alan,

Thanks for my BCE cap. Looks sharp in coyote brown. Just the right size too!
    -Jon

That's a cool pic!

Have a great weekend, gentlemen.

Best,
    Alan
    Battle Comp Enterprises, LLC
    World Class Tactical Compensators
    California Legal Compensators
    100% American Made
    www.battlecomp.com
    sales@battlecomp.com
    (650) 678-0778

1 Samuel 17:49 / Romans 13: 1-4 / Isaiah 6:8 / Psalms 144:1 / Matthew 12:30

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Aherne View Post
    I must admit I am a more than biased observer, but to those who worry about lifespan of the BC. You must ask yourself the following question, "What is the purpose of your carbine/rifle use?" If it is for defending your life and laying waste to your enemies; the increased recoil reduction and ability to place more rounds on target, with greater effect, in a shorter time frame, make a shorter life span worthwhile. If you want to get 60k rounds out of your BC, and go through three uppers while doing so, it may not fit your bill.

The BC is a game-changer. If you need to win a gunfight, it's worth the skrilla; if it's just a game, maybe not. If you want to win the game, however, it's still the best thing out there for shooting near dirt, gravel and all of the other things that shifty match directors come up with!

As an aside, we haven't found anybody who has worn one out, yet.
    Hi Patrick,

I hope I didn't insinuate that the BC devices were inferior, because of a reduced lifespan.

I can assure you, I put function and durabilty over price, looks or lifespan, everyday of the week. I am a master firearms instructor, and LEO, and my guns are shooters.

That is why I bought, and am currently testing the BC 1.0. I think you guys have pulled off a great product, for its intended purpose - a BATTLE compensator. I really haven't looked into other devices for my defensive carbines, due to them not fitting my requirements, in regard to noise, blast, and flash suppression. The Battle Comp is different, and DOES fit my requirements for a defensive carbine. In my limited testing so far, I have seen a significant reduction in recoil and muzzle jump, while at the same time, not producing any more blast or noise than an A2 device! I can't comment on its flash hiding abilities yet, since I haven't noticed any in daylight , and haven't fired it at night yet. Well done, guys.

I only brought up the aspect of lifespan, due to the fact that I am going to put together another 14.5" upper, and it will need a permanent device. Looking at the BC 1.5 for this build, special considerations are met with any permanent device, in my opinion:

1. Lifespan
    2. Ability to adequately clean the device without removing it
    3. Drop or impact durability (this really a requirement on any device, IMHO)

All these become more important to me, when permanently attaching a device. Again, I wasn't doubting the BC's lifespan, I just hadn't heard comments about it yet. But, if it can go 40,000 rounds, I guess that is not a concern. I eagerly await the torture test report.

The cleaning aspect is interesting too. Non open ended devices are a different animal to clean, if permanently attached. Again, maybe the torture test can elaborate on how often, or if at all, the device required cleaning.

Drop or impact durability is a concern for me on all my serious guns. I was looking for thoughts, ideas, or test reports on this also, since the BC is intended for the two way range, is such a lightweight design, and has a closed end.

Again, guys, thanks for a great, new, and exciting product! I just want to explore it further, and generate some discussion on all aspects of the device.
    Last edited by Jimbo45; 08-14-10 at 16:54.

Feedback Score
    Jimbo, thanks for the clarification. I understand your question in context. I don't know if a definitive answer on the longevity question is yet available. However, my next carbine upper is going to be a 14.5" mid lightweight with either a DD or Larue 9" rail. I plan to clean it by dipping it in the Slip 2000 Carbon Cutter stuff and blowing it out with canned air. I am going to have a BC 1.5 pinned on because we can't own SBRs in CA.
    Last edited by Patrick Aherne; 08-14-10 at 23:51.
    Affiliated with BattleComp Enterprises, LLC

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Aherne View Post
    I am going to have a BC 1.5 pinned on because we can't own SBRs in CA.
    When I was a kid back in the 60s & 70s, California was a great place to grow up. Gun shops like Pony Express in Van Nuys were store houses filled with the most amazing finds and great places to go hang out & listen to dad swap lies with the proprietor and his cronies while digging around in barrels filled things like bayonets, K-Bars and other trinkets. Don't know how many K-Bars, bayonets & webgear I've lost at play or camping. Then there was the Pomona Gunshow! My brother's best friend scored a LAW rocket launcher for $5!

We burned up bunches of a wide variety of ammo & calibers in those days.

Now... It's sad what that great state has become

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo45 View Post
    ...The BC equipped rifle tended to recoil a bit to the right...
    I wonder if the comp was angled to the right a bit if it'd offset that. Of course, it'd make the angle shooting from the left side all the more pronounced
    Last edited by MistWolf; 08-15-10 at 10:11.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    I wonder if the comp was angled to the right a bit if it'd offset that. Of course, it'd make the angle shooting from the left side all the more pronounced
    You know, trying that, did occur to me when doing the test, but not having any tools or extra washers with me, I didn't try it. Since you mentioned it and reminded me, I may re-time the BC 1.0 a bit to the right, and do some more shooting early this week. Like you said, though, when shooting from reaction or support side, its going to compound the sideways push for that side. May or may not really be a concern, though, depending what your needs and purposes for the gun are.
    Last edited by Jimbo45; 08-16-10 at 07:33.

Page 73 of 172 FirstFirst ... 2363717273747583123 ... LastLast