Thread: Flip up offset sights?

Feedback Score

Flip up offset sights?

Saw an AR today with a ton of cheap crap up on,
    scope with light, laser, etc. A big folding front grip with nothing else on the front rails because all the other stuff was on the rails on the scope rings.

It had offset sights.

I took a closer look as I have experimented with them some the past year or two. (love how fast to go from scope to sights- but, like a redi-mag, do not like the extra width to the gun, and while they are fun against cardboard- they are snag magnets)

Anyways, they looked small from a little ways and walked close by to sneak a peak and see if they were less snag able.

They were small, but because they were flip up.

They still stuck out that inch or so and can snag, but the actual rear aperture and front post were folded down. I thought the whole point was having crap out of the way and not needing to be flipped up.

Anyways, plenty of stuff has come up that I did not understand at first.

What am I missing on this concept?

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Were they regular sights but mounted on 45* offset bases? Or were they true 45* flip ups?
    Dueks don't fold down.
    KAC are the first flip up 45* sights that come to mind. I have a set. They are nice and useable. Kinda weird to zero with holding the rifle at an angle and remembering up isn't up and down isn't down. It's all angled. But still, they're there. They're solid. I'd use them in a pinch. But not for 500 meter precision shooting.
    Last edited by matemike; 09-29-13 at 22:48.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”
    - Mark Twain

Feedback Score
    49 (100%)
    I run the KAC 45 degree offsets because it's what works best for me with my 1-6x scope set-up. They are extremely low profile when flipped down and not needed (barely noticeable on the rig), but readily available and can be deployed rapidly when required. I don't have any concerns about snags. YMMV

Last edited by Boba Fett v2; 09-30-13 at 01:03.
    "People have always been stupid. The Internet just makes it easier for us to know about them." - donlapalma

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    I thought about the KAC offsets but went with the Dueck Defense instead. I do like how low profile the KAC's are compared to the Dueck Defense though. I'd like to know the weight difference between the two brands.
    May God have mercy upon my enemies, because I won't.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ramairthree View Post
    What am I missing
    Both Search buttons, just for starters. Keywords "offset irons."

ttp://www.m4carbine.net/gtsearch.php?cx=003496919632624929056%3Adhiwgm0hbaa&cof=FORID%3A10&ie=UTF-8&q=offset+irons&sa=Search&siteurl=www.m4carbine.net%2Fsearch.php&ref=www.m4carbine.net%2Fshowthread.php%3Ft%3D139600&ss=2110j433202j12
    Contractor scum, PM Infantry Weapons