Thread: 5.56mm NATO versus 223 Remington Chamber Differences

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score

Thumbs up

New to the site. Good thread!! Thanks for the info.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Tagged....

Thanks, Molon!!

Feedback Score
    also...one should keep in mind that once fired in a 5.56 chamber, the .223 is 'fire-formed' to the 5.56. that in turn alters the water capacity of the case...ever so slightly, but the brass should be kept separate for re-loading purposes.

different primers and a 'hot' load could result in a spike in pressure.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by donwalk View Post
    also...one should keep in mind that once fired in a 5.56 chamber, the .223 is 'fire-formed' to the 5.56. that in turn alters the water capacity of the case...ever so slightly, but the brass should be kept separate for re-loading purposes.

different primers and a 'hot' load could result in a spike in pressure.
    Huh? Chamber dimensions are THE SAME. The cases don't touch the leade which is where the two differ.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    i saw an article and diagram, where the case shoulders differ slightly in angle.

at the moment i cannot recall...i will research the article and see if i can recover it. (the article)

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Ok. I was just looking at the pic above where it says chamber dimensions are the same. I'd think that a resizing die is going to bring the brass back to the same size regardless though.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    If the only difference between 5.56 Nato and .223 Rem chamber is the leade and freebore then why is the allowable headspace greater with 5.56 Nato?