Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Primary Weapons FSC556 Flash Surpressor

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    "I personally don't see the benefit these "combo" brakes/FH provide."

Gotta agree. The concussion is obnoxious in indoor ranges.

If you spring the gun properly- such as an H2 buffer and a Sprinco "Blue" spring in a midlength gas 16" barrel- and get your support hand further out, the muzzle rise should be minimal.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    On a 7.62x51, the PWS makes a tremendous improvement in rearward recoil. No more black & blue shoulder after 500 rounds in a 16" AR.

Feedback Score
    As I have stated before, I am not usually a muzzle brake fan. However, this past week, we got to shoot the new Battle Comp (http://battlecomp.com) on a darkened indoor range. Using XM193 and commercial loaded 55 gr VMAX, all personnel who were present on the range felt flash with the Battle Comp was subjectively about the same as with an A2 flash hider. Despite firing indoors, the concussion was not particularly worse than with an A2 flash hider and better than many other brakes. Although 5.56mm AR15's don't have much recoil, after putting the red-dot on the target, no matter how fast the trigger was pulled, the RDS dot did not appear to move--most impressive. I am particularly looking forward to trying the Battle Comp 6.8 mm version, as well as the 7.62 mm Battle Comp on a 16" LaRue OBR. The lead engineer for Battle Comp is quite knowledgeable with fluid dynamics and has done an outstanding job on this design; likewise, the owner of Battle Comp is a solid individual who is well known in LE circles here. I will be buying more of these!

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by supersix4 View Post
    I have 3 and the next AR is getting one. I shot Costa's triple tap brake at a class last summer and to me is about the same in reducing recoil etc.
    As one of the few who seemed to not have one of the FSC556s at last summer's course, it was an interesting experience to learn to tune out the muzzle blast from those things.

I only run Vortexes. I took me a few cycles through the drills to learn to ignore the blast.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by supersix4 View Post
    Those things are awesome - especially if you don't mind sucking the air out of the lungs and rattling the skulls of everyone around you...

DocGKR:Thanks for the write-up on the battlecomp - looks promising. I have a Troy Medieval on my current rifle and it's very effective for reducing climb and getting back on target quickly - my Tripower hardly moves. There is little-to-no noticeable flash when shooting softer ammunition like UMC, or Federal bulk .223, but add XM193, Q3131 or Privi to the mix and the flash - even in bright daylight is stunning. I like this brake, but would like something that offers even minimal flash suppression - we're still under the AWB thanks to Mitt, so any port in a storm...Thanks again.

Feedback Score
    I've got two.

They're great "ban state" items.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by og556 View Post
    There were some night time shooting pics of the FSC 556 somewhere I'll try to dig them up. From what I remember there was a huge fireball compared to other dedicated flash suppressors like the black out or vortex.

What I would really like to see is some video of someone shooting the FSC556 at night.

In terms of muzzle climb control the FSC 556 is awesome. I had it installed on a middy and the rifle felt like it did not move.

I felt more of a push than any thing else which was easy to control with a solid stance. One problem I developed was I became a little sloppy with my stance with this muzzle brake when doing drills at a lower rate of fire.

As the shooter the noise and concussion did not bother me but when I sat back at an indoor range and watched someone else shoot it the concussion and sound was a little annoying. My GF could not stand it at first.

Currently I have the SM 556 variant on my middy and am pretty satisfied with it. It is a little shorter and does not control muzzle climb quite as well as the FSC 556 but is a little shorter overall.

Overall I am pretty happy with these muzzle brake/flash suppressors but from what I remember they suck for suppressing flash.
    I have a blackout and a FSC. While the blackout is better for flash I don't think that the PWS is all that bad, and is better than some of the others that I have used.
    "Intelligence is not the ability to regurgitate information. It is the ability to make sound decisions on a consistent basis "--me

"Just remember, when you are talking to the average person, you are talking to a television set"--RDJB

One Big Ass Mistake America

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    At an indoor range that I frequent here in Middle FL that will remain nameless (but advises people to 'ride hard and ______ _____', as the late Col. Jeff Cooper stated ), I shot my BCM 16" middy with both the A2 and the FSC556. I was using properly inserted foamie ear plugs and no ear muffs over them. The difference in volume (I am an LEO now but I was a live sound engineer for many years before that) and blast was minimal. They were both loud, using XM193 55grain Federal FMJ....but they seemed to be about the same, with, back to back, the FSC sounding a bit louder. Other people's ears may be more sensitive, but the performance gain for me was HUGE compared to the relatively small increase in blast. The muzzle just vibrates on the target, whereas with the A2, a minimal-yet-noticeable muzzle jump was experienced.

The Battle comp looks awesome...and I would love to see a comparo between the BC brake, and FSC556, and the KAC TT. I see these as the front runners in tactical muzzle device design.

Feedback Score
    41 (98%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BufordTJustice View Post
    At an indoor range that I frequent here in Middle FL that will remain nameless (but advises people to 'ride hard and ______ _____', as the late Col. Jeff Cooper stated ), I shot my BCM 16" middy with both the A2 and the FSC556. I was using properly inserted foamie ear plugs and no ear muffs over them. The difference in volume (I am an LEO now but I was a live sound engineer for many years before that) and blast was minimal. They were both loud, using XM193 55grain Federal FMJ....but they seemed to be about the same, with, back to back, the FSC sounding a bit louder. Other people's ears may be more sensitive, but the performance gain for me was HUGE compared to the relatively small increase in blast. The muzzle just vibrates on the target, whereas with the A2, a minimal-yet-noticeable muzzle jump was experienced.

The Battle comp looks awesome...and I would love to see a comparo between the BC brake, and FSC556, and the KAC TT. I see these as the front runners in tactical muzzle device design.

The shooter is going to have a different experience than people standing on either side as the blast is not directed backwards but rather out the sides perpendicular to the barrel.

Like I mentioned earlier Ive been standing next to people shooting the PWS, and it was quite a bit worse than an A2. Noise isn't so much the issue as the concussion that you can actually feel.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Belmont31R View Post
    The shooter is going to have a different experience than people standing on either side as the blast is not directed backwards but rather out the sides perpendicular to the barrel.

Like I mentioned earlier Ive been standing next to people shooting the PWS, and it was quite a bit worse than an A2. Noise isn't so much the issue as the concussion that you can actually feel.
    I agree that the shooter will get a different experience than a bystander. However, I was shooting in a two-lane concrete block range building, inside of a stall. Any blast was thee for me to feel. I also have an FSC47 on my AK clone and have been next to that when my wife shot it.....Maybe it's different for others, i just didn't feel it was that bad.

I have also found that ammo being shot has an enormous effect on the blast and concussion. Wolf from a 22" bolt action almost sounds like it is suppressed. XM193 from a 10.5" SBR can sound very similar to a 300 win mag. I was shooting XM193 from Federal. I would have to say that it's an apples to oranges comparison unless the ammo and barrel length are the same. I've been rattled by a guy with a 16" carbine w/ an A2 before at an outdoor range. It just depends. But apples to apples, I've found that FSC seems about as loud and only slightly more concussive as compared to an A2. YMMV.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast