Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Training videos?

Feedback Score

Training videos?

So I know that live, in person, training is probably the best training you can get, but what about videos?

I was looking at Magpul's video "The art of the tactical carbine" and it looks like it probably has some really good info.

For a newbie who doesn't have time yet to take a tactical course, are videos like this worth buying?

Feedback Score
    29 (97%)
    the magpul dynamics videos are great, I have bolth carbine vid's and they really have alot of good info and they are things that you can pratice while by yourself or buddies. Get them and you wont be dissapointed
    "Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum"

Semper Paratus AR-15 Armorer

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Someone asked the same question a while back, and someone else responded with a good assessment:

They're good videos, but it would probably help to have some sort of formal instruction first.

So, it really depends on whether or not you have some basics down first. Otherwise, I suspect that it will be a lot like trying to learn karate from a book.
    The advice above is worth exactly what you paid for it.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Think of the videos like a documentary about a shooting course.
    Watching a documentary about an African Safari will give you an idea if you are interested in going to Africa: generally what you will see, what the wildlife looks like, what the terrain is like, stuff guides say, but it will never fully replicate the experience.

Same thing with training vidoes.

There are lots of things that the instructors do to shape a group and refine individuals that simply cannot be replicated on video. From the fine points of positions to target analysis, good instructors prove their worth with the individual, not the group work or watching drills. Same thing with demos. In many (not all) videos you might see what the drill looks like from an observer's perspective of the shooter, but you can't see what is going on at the target, in the sights, the feel of recoil, transition stability, the effect of uneven terrain, the inability to finely control the hands until repetition breeds competance, etc etc.

If you can meet the prerequisite standards of an instructor, the best thing to do is get yourself to a real course taught by a competant instructor with a relevant curriculum. Having a real skillset will save you a lot of money and time when it comes to upgrades, accessories, and gear. The conversations you can have with people in different phases of skill progression, assistants, and the primary instructors go beyond just skill and technique. They all have a story worth listening to, even if it is what you shouldn't do. There are a lot of lessons in mistakes, yours and others.

Videos let you peek through the window.
    A good course opens the door.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Think of the videos like a documentary about a shooting course.
    Watching a documentary about an African Safari will give you an idea if you are interested in going to Africa: generally what you will see, what the wildlife looks like, what the terrain is like, stuff guides say, but it will never fully replicate the experience.

Same thing with training vidoes.

There are lots of things that the instructors do to shape a group and refine individuals that simply cannot be replicated on video. From the fine points of positions to target analysis, good instructors prove their worth with the individual, not the group work or watching drills. Same thing with demos. In many (not all) videos you might see what the drill looks like from an observer's perspective of the shooter, but you can't see what is going on at the target, in the sights, the feel of recoil, transition stability, the effect of uneven terrain, the inability to finely control the hands until repetition breeds competance, etc etc.

If you can meet the prerequisite standards of an instructor, the best thing to do is get yourself to a real course taught by a competant instructor with a relevant curriculum. Having a real skillset will save you a lot of money and time when it comes to upgrades, accessories, and gear. The conversations you can have with people in different phases of skill progression, assistants, and the primary instructors go beyond just skill and technique. They all have a story worth listening to, even if it is what you shouldn't do. There are a lot of lessons in mistakes, yours and others.

Videos let you peek through the window.
    A good course opens the door.
    That is good advice and I totally agree. I would really love to take a tactical carbine class right now, but I'm working full time and going to school full time, on top of being newly married, so I probably won't be able to for a little while.

I figured that maybe I could at least get some tips and basics from a video until I had the chance to take an actual course.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by B Cart View Post
    I figured that maybe I could at least get some tips and basics from a video until I had the chance to take an actual course.
    That you can.
    Just don't get too locked into something you can only see, and remember that techniques change and evolve. What you see on the DVD today was filmed yesterday, and tomorrow will bring new insights.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Another issue with videos is that people watch them and try to mirror what they see. The goal should be to learn the principles being taught/shown and then apply it to your individual shooting/fighting style. In short; you should take the material shown and then make it yours. In order to do this though; you need to have a firm base of knowledge in place.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Agreed on almost every account that other far more knowledgeable members have stated.

As someone who is a civilian that enjoys the instructional videos, I would have to say that one of the biggest take-aways from them are the administrative weapon handling skills that they convey. Procedures such as reloading, and malfunction clearances are items that videos and literature do a fine job of getting the point across in my opinion.

However, some of the more dynamic aspects for me are better left under the watchful, and careful eye of someone that I'm paying good money to make sure I learn correctly.

Feedback Score
    There is a lot of good insight here but as for going to training.........Spend some time finding a good course to go to and not throw your money away! You may waste your time mirrior what you see on a DVD but you can also waste even more time going to a course that completely sux.
    Don't ask how many guns I have. You should be more concerned with which one I am proficient at!

"We don't believe in advanced shootings skills, we only believe in perfect execution of the fundamentals understress!" - TigerSwan Staff

Feedback Score
    I'll plug "Bennie Cooley's 11 Mastering the AR-15" DVD.

If funds and time were unlimited, then I'd also say, sure, get training first. But for most, they aren't. And DVDs can fill the gap.

You can get a lot out of DVDs. After all, shooting a AR isn't rocket surgery. You don't have to pay $200 a day to have an instructor, say, teach you to clear a malfunction or perform an admin load. Assuming you are average intelligence, those sorts of things can be learned just as well by DVD. Even if you were going to take a class from Bennie, I'd suggest watching the DVD a few times and absorbing what you can, and you'll be that much further along and can focus on the finer points when taking the class.

(I have the Magpul DVDs, and will be watching those here in a few days too. Don't know how they compare to Cooley's, just that his is definitely worth the $35 price.)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast