Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: SR-25 EM Carbine History

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Great information. I'm interested to know if you can expound on some of the upgrades that were made to increase hard-use reliability.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    I was remiss in my earlier post for not thanking Kevin for the great info and photos of the EMC. So thank you!

One particular point that Kevin brings up is interesting to me: going from a building (presumably CQB/close-in fighting) to breaking a 400-500 yard shot outside.

This scenario presupposes the existence of a rifle system that is suitable for both CQB and the accurate, effective distance shot. It sounds like a 5.56 gun, while very effective in the CQB role, is marginally effective at a distance. And traditional .308 rifles, while very effective at a distance, are marginal for close-in, extended-fire situations (e.g. NSRs).

I have been shooting my EMC for awhile now, and overall have found the rifle very manageable with my go-to factory loads, which are Hornady 168gr TAP Amax. Follow-on shots, NSRs, and the like are fairly easy to do, provided you're driving the gun aggressively and your stance and positioning are set up to mitigate what recoil is present. Of course, at 13lbs loaded (20rd Magpul mag, Elcan Specter DR, Surefire Scout light, VTAC sling), the EMC is not a lightweight anything, but the weight is in the same ballpark as a loaded M4 and requires about the same level of upper body and core strength.

So to the question at hand: are we seeing the emergence of a true do-all rifle that combines reasonable compactness and controllability for close-in work with the caliber and bullet selection for true gut-punching takedowns five, or even six, football fields away?

I have to admit, I'm mightily tempted to use my EMC in just this manner. And I'm picking up Internet chatter (FWIW) that SOCOM is fielding the Mk17 in larger-than-expected numbers because warfighters are hungry for the extra punch and barrier penetration characteristics of 7.62, as well as the long shot capability that comes with the bigger round.

Of course, it doesn't hurt that .308 practice ammo is $0.39/round, vs $1/round for 6.8 or any of the alternative AR15 calibers that provide more punch than 5.56.
    Last edited by caporider; 05-13-10 at 16:01.
    Scout Rider for the Mongol Hordes

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by caporider View Post
    So to the question at hand: are we seeing the emergence of a true do-all rifle that combines reasonable compactness and controllability for close-in work with the caliber and bullet selection for true gut-punching takedowns five, or even six, football fields away?

I have to admit, I'm mightily tempted to use my EMC in just this manner..
    This is just my plan for my LMT. If I get it worked out to the point that I trust it, it will likely become my main go-to gun, and I'll get more of them.

Feedback Score
    If you can disclose this information, what groups are going to be using this weapon system?
    Dogma is failure - Ken Hackathorn

Only performance counts - Paul Sharp

Feedback Score
    Fantastic read and a cool bit of history. Thank you. It's on my list of must-haves, but for now my SR15 will have to do (and it does very well ).

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Kevin, thank you for the great info in this post. I LOVE reading about KAC guns!!

ARKAR

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Nice write-up. Thanks for posting it.
    Steve

Disclaimer: I am employed by Shadow Systems. My posts on this site are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinB View Post
    What we ended up with was in our opinion the finest 16" 7.62mm gas gun on the planet.
    The finest...that could be a pretty good gun!

I'd like to hear how you tweaked the gas system, recoil system and bolt carrier. Did you maintain parts compatibility with AR-15s?
    Last edited by Pete2s; 05-14-10 at 00:36.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Well, I can still dream cant I???

Feedback Score
    Very nice...love the pictures. I think I missed it, who is making the new 1.1-8 scope? Can't really tell from the picture? Also, what is the preferred practice ammo and what kind of groups are you getting with it? Match ammo is not cheap. Thanks for the info.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast