Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cam pin wear

Feedback Score

cam pin wear

The pics are not the best and I'm sure the subject has been discussed at length. I have seen cam pin wear that looks the same as what I have in other pics, but the wear mark towards the top of my pin if I run my finger over it I can feel a divot like metal has been displaced though it is not significant it still worries me as this bcg only has 905 rnds on it. The cam pin is NiB treated from a fail zero bcg, also what I have not seen before is the wear mark at the bottom of the cam pin and there seems to be a deformity there. Should I change this out now? wouldnt the NiB cam pin last longer than normal ones? there doesnt appear to be a crack in it, what ahppens when a cam pin fails during use? thanks for any help!Attachment 9391

Attachment 9392

Attachment 9393

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    perfectly normal.

Feedback Score
    Even if it's a little gouged? How long shld one last? Thanks

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    They reach a certain point of "marking" then they appear to stop wearing. The cam pin should last as long as the rifle. If worried, replace it. What is it a whole $1.75?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Seems normal. How deep would you say gouge is? What upper are you running?
    Cam pin wear is an expected thing, but if it is very deep it might not have been heat treated properly. Every great once in a while, some fall through the cracks. But it is very rare. It looks normal to me.

Feedback Score
    41 (98%)
    If gouged replace it.

You should keep an assortment of small parts on hand. They are mechanical devices. Don't get too attached to the gun. Parts wear and they need maintenance.

Feedback Score
    I do have a spare cam pin, I have a spare bolt even but they are parked parts not NiB

Feedback Score
    41 (98%)
    A good reason to used standardized parts.

Contact Fail Zero then...if you think it sould be replaced.

Im up to just under 17k on my SR15 and still have the original everything except the trigger group. No gouging in the cam pin.

This is why I said don't get attached to guns. Just because it has some coating doesn't mean things can fail. If you think its premature contact them, and see what they say.

Feedback Score
    That's good advice I hadn't thought of that, and that's what I'm saying I expect it to fail at some point, I believe it may be premature. It's fail zero but I don't think it will last forever. Thanks

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I think all of my higher round count cam pins have some amount of gouging going on.

There's NOTHING out of the ordinary in those pics.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast