My apologies. I did not intend to come off flippant, but can see how it could be construed as such. However, I would like to stress that mindset is a major factor, if not THE major factor to survival, whether we are talking about a gun fight, lost in the woods survival, the business world or a post-apocalyptic SHTF scenario. Taking and making the time to learn how build a fire under extreme condition like snow or heavy rain, studying which plants you can eat vs. which one will kill you, how to make traps and snares, that’s all mindset. Some when faced with a survival situation curl up and cry, the only way those folks live is through blind luck, where other refuse to quit, refuse lay down and die, that’s mindset. Having all the gear in the world make no difference if one is ignorant to its use.

“You are no more armed because you carry a pistol than you are a musician because you own a guitar” –Jeff Cooper

What I listed is in fact what you “need” to survive. If we are talking strictly gear then here’s my list:
1. WETSU Pocket Survival Kit or equal
2. Rope
3. Canteen with metal cup
4. Kifaru woobie if winter or in AO with several temperature drops such as the high desert / or a firearm if it is summer where warmth and shelter are not a major concern.

Gutshot has it right; so much is dependant on situation. What is the AO? Are we lost at sea, in the desert, out in the woods, is it winter and snowing or summer and 120 deg.?

Regardless, again I apologize.