Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: M14 and all of the variants/teach this guy about the M14 in general.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score

M14 and all of the variants/teach this guy about the M14 in general.

I have recently become very interested in owning an M14, or M1A(?) and after looking through various forums I find myself still not knowing alot about them. I would like to buy one of good quality, or build one preferably, but as I come across the various names for types of builds such as SEI, or Norinco, or LRB I have no idea what that actually implies as far as quality or price, etc.

I was hoping that someone might be able to just lay it out plain and simple about the various types of manufacturers or brand of M14, and even whether or not I should be calling it an M14, or M1A, or M21, or whatever.

Much appreciated

- Dot.Com
    One man says to another: "whats that?"

The man replies by saying: "That? that's my wife you bastard! She's stood by my side for years and has always done her duty. She's stayed with me throughout all the fighting, has never failed to keep the fire going, and can kill a man without breaking a sweat!"

The other man quickly tries to cover his embarrassment, but as he turns away mutters under his breath - "could've sworn it was an AR-15..."

Feedback Score
    LRB is forged then milled out like the original m-14 others on the market are cast the
    Norinco's are soft and have had problems with the headspace growing because the lugs geting peened back.
    The SEI I am not up to date on maybe some one else can chime in on it.
    I had a springfield armory loaded edition a few years back the receiver was cast but it served me well it was very accurate and zero malfunctions thousands of rounds both surplus and FGMM at that time the springfields were made with a lot of GI /TRW parts. A lot of the GI surplus parts are starting to dry up but LRB and SEI are producing parts that are supposed to be made to GI spec.
    If I was in the market today looking for a m-14 /M1A1 I would look to LRB, SEI, and springfield armory.
    Last edited by Thomas M-4; 02-27-10 at 22:24.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas M-4 View Post
    ...Norinco's are soft and have had problems with the headspace growing because the lugs geting peened back...
    The problem with the Norincos turned out to be soft bolts. Norinco receivers are reported by builders to be good and they are forged

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    The M1A is the semi auto M14 variant that Springfield Armory Inc. sells. They wanted to call it a M14 but ATF wouldn't allow it when they were introduced, so they went with M1A.

Firstly, you need to ask yourself what you want to use the rifle for. Are you wanting a clone of the USGI M14, a heavier barreled target rifle, a custom build DMR (designated marksman rifle), a shorter barreled carbine type?

Springfield Armory has a somewhat spotty reputation on current M1A's. This is mainly due to the fact that they ran out of USGI parts about a decade ago, so all their rifles are commercial grade. The earlier M1A's were built using their commercial receiver and mostly USGI surplus parts, and they have a much better reputation.

Armscorp also makes a commercial receiver, which a lot of knowledgeable M14 guys prefer over the Springfield if they're going to go with a cast receiver. Both Springfield and Armscorp are cast, the original M14 receivers were drop hammer forged like the M1 Garand.

Fulton Armory uses Armscorp receivers branded Fulton.

LRB are forged, and are about as highly regarded as they come. They are extremely well built, using premium commercial parts and GI where they can. Instead of using .308 Win. chambered non chrome lined Wilson barrels like Springfield, they use Krieger chrome lined 7.62 NATO chambered Criterion barrels.

You pay for it though.

So, what are you looking to do with it? That will go a long way towards where you want to look, and the features you'll want on your rifle.
    Employee of colonialshooting.com

Feedback Score
    Firstly, thank you for the replies, it has certainly cleared some things up.

I mostly planned on getting an M14 as a semi-auto option for precision target shooting, I'm not a superb shooter, but as long as the rifle is MOA to sub-MOA capable I would be happy. In other words though, I don't really need it to be a battle rifle, just something I can take to the range and work on my shooting, and of course have fun with.

I like to have options further down the line, so I had planned on keeping it woodstocked at first, then maybe toying around with some of those fancy chassis from sage or troy after I get familiar with the rifle.

Primarily though, I would like to build it myself. Is it particularly difficult to get the parts required for a solid target rifle?
    One man says to another: "whats that?"

The man replies by saying: "That? that's my wife you bastard! She's stood by my side for years and has always done her duty. She's stayed with me throughout all the fighting, has never failed to keep the fire going, and can kill a man without breaking a sweat!"

The other man quickly tries to cover his embarrassment, but as he turns away mutters under his breath - "could've sworn it was an AR-15..."

March to the sound of guns and kill everyone not dressed like you
    Feedback Score
    I love the M14 but if you're looking for precision it's probably not your best option. It's better than most shooters but they are difficult to get sub moa consistently. I'm only on my 2nd M1A though and there's a lot of people with more experience so I may have to defer to their expertise.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by steve-oh View Post
    I love the M14 but if you're looking for precision it's probably not your best option. It's better than most shooters but they are difficult to get sub moa consistently. I'm only on my 2nd M1A though and there's a lot of people with more experience so I may have to defer to their expertise.

What Steve said. The M14 system can be made to be very accurate, but they require a lot of work to keep them that way. The rifle was designed to be a battle rifle, not a tack driver.....

I love the M14, I've owned a fair number of semi auto clones and one real registered transferrable Class 3 select fire M14, but the AR-10's will out shoot them easily and with less work.
    Employee of colonialshooting.com

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    Hindsight is 20/20. I wish I hadn't bought my SOCOM II and then converted it to the Troy MCS. I would have just bought an LMT .308 gun.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Templar View Post
    The M1A is the semi auto M14 variant that Springfield Armory Inc. sells. They wanted to call it a M14 but ATF wouldn't allow it when they were introduced, so they went with M1A.

Firstly, you need to ask yourself what you want to use the rifle for. Are you wanting a clone of the USGI M14, a heavier barreled target rifle, a custom build DMR (designated marksman rifle), a shorter barreled carbine type?

Springfield Armory has a somewhat spotty reputation on current M1A's. This is mainly due to the fact that they ran out of USGI parts about a decade ago, so all their rifles are commercial grade. The earlier M1A's were built using their commercial receiver and mostly USGI surplus parts, and they have a much better reputation.

Armscorp also makes a commercial receiver, which a lot of knowledgeable M14 guys prefer over the Springfield if they're going to go with a cast receiver. Both Springfield and Armscorp are cast, the original M14 receivers were drop hammer forged like the M1 Garand.

Fulton Armory uses Armscorp receivers branded Fulton.

LRB are forged, and are about as highly regarded as they come. They are extremely well built, using premium commercial parts and GI where they can. Instead of using .308 Win. chambered non chrome lined Wilson barrels like Springfield, they use Krieger chrome lined 7.62 NATO chambered Criterion barrels.

You pay for it though.

So, what are you looking to do with it? That will go a long way towards where you want to look, and the features you'll want on your rifle.

I was positive I was going to finally buy my first M14 variant this month, a black 16" or 18" SA Scout. Now I am not so sure.
    "Facit Omina Voluntas = The Will Decides" - Army Chief

Feedback Score

Wink

I would suggest that you go to Smithenterprise.com and see what has been done to the M14 weapons platform to bring it up to date. The new technologies that are being used allow the platform to keep a very high degree of accuracy for a very long time. The site has information that explains all of this and is quite informative.

I have one of the Crazy Horse varients and so does a friend of mine. We are both extremely pleased and have put quite a few rounds down range. You will pay to have a rifle built up (mine started with a Poly-tech forged receiver).

This rifle shot MOA to 1000 yds. at Ft. Benning with Match ammo. It shot less than 10" at 1000 yds. with handloads. That's less than MOA. By the way it cost less and outshot it's competition, side by side,which was the new SASS rifle being tested. I believe this is also outlined on the Smith site. I believe the SASS rifle is around $10 to $15K a copy, but I'm not positive about that.

My experience is different than others have experienced and this is JMHO from what I have also seen and experienced.

Gunsouth

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast