Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Couple questions ref FAL's I can find answers to

Feedback Score
    37 (100%)

Couple questions ref FAL's I can find answers to

I hate to start a new thread on something that I'm sure has been discussed before. I just haven't been able to find any info on it.

I'm trying to get some numbers in realation to what different FAL setups weigh in at. I'm sure they can get real heavy real quick when you put a rail, vfg, light and scope on it. I'm interested in some basic, no frills versions, like a DSA para fal with fiberglass handguards and the para stock vs m4 adapter with CTR. No optics just irons.

I'm interested in downloading my custom build 18" LRB M25 for one but want to know how much weight I can shed.

Thanks for any info y'all can give me.

Feedback Score
    I've got 4 in different variants, but honestly don't remember what any of them weigh.

Might be better to post your question on the FAL Files - in fact there may even be a sticky with weight comparisons.

http://www.falfiles.com/forums/index.php

Hope this helps.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

the above configuration weighs 10.2 lbs. para FAL, fiberglass handguards, DSA adapter with CTR stock (and cheekpiece), DSA scope rail (heavy - might look at the A.R.M.S. version), aimpoint Comp M2. you can look up the weights of the aimpoint and mount and subtract them as necessary.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    There are so many variants and variables that it's hard to give a hard and fast answer.

Whether you have an alloy or steel lower is probably a pretty big variable. Rail systems vs. fiberglass handguards might be another.

In general I'd say that an alloy lower full size rifle is going to run about 9 lbs unloaded. A steel lower rifle is going to be about 11lbs. Fully loaded steel mag is about 2 lbs.
    Last edited by Gutshot John; 01-10-11 at 20:21.
    It is bad policy to fear the resentment of an enemy. -Ethan Allen

Feedback Score
    37 (100%)
    Bubba FAL,

I just signed up over on FAL files. Will do some hunting there.

Miliary Moron,

Thanks for the info! I'm sure with a standard dustcover and no optic that would be a relitively light set up.

Gutshot John,

I get what your saying. I was trying to be specific about the parts but understand that there area bunch of different options. I'm basically looking to replace my heavy (18.5" medium weight barrel), not well balanced/front heavy, non-ergonomic, potentially finicky rifle that I love... for a more practical, ergonomic, shorter, lighter FAL and was trying to get a idea on how much weight savings I could expect.

Editted to add:
    Does anyone know if you can attach the new 7.62 Battel comp muzzel brake to a FAL?
    Last edited by Serpico1985; 01-10-11 at 20:47.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    here's some ballpark weights from DSA on 18" FALs with aluminum and steel receivers respectively:

-DSA lists the weight of the SA58 w/standard stock, 18" bbl as 8.35 lb.
    -DSA lists the weight of the STG58 w/standard stock, 18" bbl as 10 lb.

Feedback Score
    Does anyone know if you can attach the new 7.62 Battel comp muzzel brake to a FAL
    ?

Don't forget - Metric FALs are LH thread. I seem to recall some discussion on special ordering non standard threading on one of the BC threads. However, I'm not sure if hey have something that seats against the end of the barrel, which is how standard FAL muzzle devices work.

I'm fond of the Belgium Short device.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    militarymoron,

That's a 16" barrel, right? Also, is that 10.2lbs fully loaded, or empty?

I really like that configuration and don't consider 10lbs to be unreasonable for a .308 carbine w/ optic.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    it's an 18" barrel. the weight is empty (steel receiver).

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    it's an 18" barrel. the weight is empty (steel receiver).
    Thanks. I'd swear it looks like a 16". My eyes must be playing tricks on me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast