Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: M14 and all of the variants/teach this guy about the M14 in general.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Badass collection.
    "Life is short, but the years are long." - Robert A. Heinlein

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I have never heard of an LRB receiver failing. However, here is one armorer's critique

http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showt...hreadid=296727

Here he also critiques the 7.62firearms receiver

http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showt...hreadid=296611

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas M-4 View Post
    ...Norinco's are soft and have had problems with the headspace growing because the lugs geting peened back...
    The problem with the Norincos turned out to be soft bolts. Norinco receivers are reported by builders to be good and they are forged

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    As I mentioned in my first post on page 1 of this thread, the poor safety location and lousy ergonomics on an M14/M1A is a deal breaker for most LE use...[/i]
    Safety does take a bit getting used to, but I like it better than the finger lever on a Glock.

Ergonomics in this case is a matter of opinion. I like how the M14 handles and feels better than I do the AR. Not that I don't like AR ergos, but often the AR pistol grip and magazine combo is a pain the the butt!

Feedback Score

oh hey, its me the op

To be honest, I had completely forgot about this thread until I saw right back at the top again. However, it ran its course perfectly and I wasn't even present for most of it so that works for me.

All the information here and opinions on the platform were all very helpful and as of today I have decided that I will still carry on with the M14 quest starting off with an LRB build and working from there if I have to.

As to the debate about the m14 being inferior to all the new .308 offerings I can only say that I don't really care about that right now. I'm pretty sure its possible to own both in one life time and I don't believe that choosing the m14 right now is going to condemn me from ever owning one of the other options further on down the line.
    I look forward to owning the LMT option, but I can look at, and shoot my ar15-ish platforms at the present. I'm looking for something different.

And the m14 is just so pretty...
    One man says to another: "whats that?"

The man replies by saying: "That? that's my wife you bastard! She's stood by my side for years and has always done her duty. She's stayed with me throughout all the fighting, has never failed to keep the fire going, and can kill a man without breaking a sweat!"

The other man quickly tries to cover his embarrassment, but as he turns away mutters under his breath - "could've sworn it was an AR-15..."

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    I have never heard of an LRB receiver failing. However, here is one armorer's critique

http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showt...hreadid=296727

Here he also critiques the 7.62firearms receiver

http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showt...hreadid=296611
    Wow, those guys were going at it. I had heard LRB had some early teething problems, but nothing like "Warbird" is describing. Reading that discussion somewhat brings one to the conclusion that one guy likes the 7.62 receiver (must be new, never heard of it) and the other guy is pro LRB.

I do know this, Ron Smith is the M14 guru. Not saying other guys aren't knowlegeable or can't build rifles, but he knows his stuff. I will reiterate, he builds for the DoD.

Smith did use LRB receivers for a period and even advertised them on his website. That has stopped and as stated earlier, he is coming out with his own bar stock model. I think LRB has the potential to be the best available with a leg up being forged, my opinion. That being said, forged doesn't matter if it is demensionally incorrect.

The two LRB's I currently have are so far so good.

Feedback Score
    81 (100%)
    Lots of decent info above !!! I love my M1a/M-14 rifles,,,I have 3 of them,,, As with all rifles they all have there limitations in regards to different things,,,take that into consideration and you shouldn't have any problems !! M-14s are old school battle rifles,,but if ya just have to have a Wood & Steel rifle,,,,ya can't go wrong,,great battle sites,,great safety,,fast & positive,,(although as stated above,,probably a liability for LEO,,but then your not gonna use it for that I don't think ) The smell of a freshly finished wood stock done in Boiled Linseed oil !! Ahhhhhh,,, (Sorry,,my eyes started to roll back in my head,,LOL) Most are accurate enough,,a Standard should be around 2/2.5 MOA with decent ball ammo & possibly better with Match Ammo,,the Loaded and NM will shoot much better as a rule with good ammo or reloads. I have bought parts for two of my rifles and it can be a trying task. I did it a few years ago,,stuff is still out there & deals can be had,,,ya just gotta be in the right place at the right time,, which means hangin out at some of the M-14 Forms,,even over at TOS,,some M-14 parts and deals can be had !! If you chose to go that route,,it is fun and rewarding when you have everything you need and you send a box of parts out & it comes back a complete rifle,,,,pretty cool !!!!
    If ya decide not to gather and build a older Springy is a good choice,,they are out there also & most have GI parts on them ! If you decided to go with a Newer Springfield,,the Scouts are a Great rifle,,I had a New one about 6 years ago & it had 0 GI parts,, & I must of put 5/6000 rounds through it and never changed a thing,,guess I was lucky,, I say if you buy a New or like New Springfield rifle,,,the only parts I would get fairly quick would be New GI Bolt Guts, (Most of the Springy Bolts are already Forged),,,,Extractor,,firing pin,,,etc,,,it should cost ya about $70/80 bucks. I would buy, it keep it in your range bag and change it out if & when you need to,,,ya mite never need it,,but its nice to have it as a back up ! I would get a couple extra trigger pins,,they are around a $1 or $2,,,find a new or like new GI hammer if ya want & I wouldn't worry about to much more,,,the rest is pretty solid !! Hmmmm,,maybe a Op-Rod if ya find a good deal on one,,there are some great commercial Rods out there,,the ones made in Korea are very nice,,,I'm sure some US guys are gearing up for Op-Rods also !! But with all that said,,,don't fix it if it ain't broke,,,LOL !! Smith Ent has them also,,but he dose not state "Made In The USA" so not sure about them,,,,but he Ron has them,,I'm sure they are in Spec !! Well keep us posted on how ya make out & if ya decide to build here are a few places to Look for parts,,,,I have bought from them & they are great places & people to deal with,,,,enjoy & have fun,,& pic's are a must when it all comes together !!! Also here is a Rifle Smith that is probably one of the best M-14 guys that most people have never heard of,, http://www.m-14parts.com/
    Parts & Goodies:
    http://www.raparts.com/
    http://www.billricca.com/
    http://www.whamocamo1.com/
    http://www.usarmory.com/
    http://www.chestnutridge.com/products/m14.asp
    http://www.m1garandrifle.com/M14parts.htm
    My Favorite,,,,,

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Coleslaw View Post
    Wow, those guys were going at it. I had heard LRB had some early teething problems, but nothing like "Warbird" is describing. Reading that discussion somewhat brings one to the conclusion that one guy likes the 7.62 receiver (must be new, never heard of it) and the other guy is pro LRB.

I do know this, Ron Smith is the M14 guru. Not saying other guys aren't knowlegeable or can't build rifles, but he knows his stuff. I will reiterate, he builds for the DoD.

Smith did use LRB receivers for a period and even advertised them on his website. That has stopped and as stated earlier, he is coming out with his own bar stock model. I think LRB has the potential to be the best available with a leg up being forged, my opinion. That being said, forged doesn't matter if it is demensionally incorrect.

The two LRB's I currently have are so far so good.
    When I posted those links, things hadn't quite gotten so heated. As Warbird stated, not all LRB receivers are "out of spec". I'm also not sure the case was made for them being out of spec as claimed.

I've known more than one serious gunsmith in my life. It seems all of them have very strong opinions and when two of them butt heads it's sure to make powerful thunder and lightning.

I love the M14 and I do realize it has weaknesses. It also has strengths that cannot be ignored. I would feel very confident carrying a sorted out M14 into harm's way
    Last edited by MistWolf; 10-01-10 at 01:30.

Feedback Score
    <--- Click for larger pic

SA M1A in Troy MCS (USGI barrel, trigger group, Op rod) M14 goodness with AR versaitility
    Last edited by wetidlerjr; 10-01-10 at 06:38.

Bill Tidler Jr.

...We have long maintained that the only accessories that a 1911 needs are a trigger you can manage, sights that you can see, and a dehorning job. That still goes.
    ~Jeff Cooper

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    When I posted those links, things hadn't quite gotten so heated. As Warbird stated, not all LRB receivers are "out of spec". I'm also not sure the case was made for them being out of spec as claimed.

I've known more than one serious gunsmith in my life. It seems all of them have very strong opinions and when two of them butt heads it's sure to make powerful thunder and lightning.

I love the M14 and I do realize it has weaknesses. It also has strengths that cannot be ignored. I would feel very confident carrying a sorted out M14 into harm's way
    Warbird say some LRB receivers are "out of spec". It seems most other receivers are out of spec to some degree in one way or another. Try mounting a scope.

LRB being CNC machined, I believe the only way a receiver could be out of spec is the wrong data entered into the computer whether by mistake or incorrect interpretation of the drawings, or worn (beyond recommended use period) machining components i.e. blades/bits. How else could it be out of spec? Could LRB be trying to get a few more receivers beyond the recommended life expectancy of the machining components?
    Last edited by Coleslaw; 10-02-10 at 13:04.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast