Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: S&W M&P with Insight MRDS

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brother Rat View Post
    Grant:

I agree completely and those were the same conclusions I've come to in considering this over the past couple days. I can't do the laser because I have little girl hands and the Crimson Trace setup is bigger than I like. Another option is a rail-mounted laser, but that's a whole 'nother can of worms with regard to which one to get and finding a holster to fit it, etc. Which leaves having the optic sunk into the slide, and possibly a taller front sight installed, a la Gabe a couple posts up. Currently looking at some options for getting this done locally, but I'll be going out of town soon for a good 6 months, so it may be a while before I post that particular update here. It'll be interesting to see where this concept goes over the next year or so as it starts to catch on.
    Roger that. Then I would consider the Trijicon RMR (Dual) as it is as robust as an ACOG.

C4

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabe Suarez View Post
    The Trijicon RMR I am using is 8 MOA. The Glock has had alot of ammo shot through it with the RMR on it. No issues at all. As an experiment I added a tall suppressor front sight on it giving me an interesting sight pic. Worked pretty good out to about 25 M.

So where did POI go after 25? Is that sight tall enough to work as a ghost ring? And who makes the front sight.

Interesting setup overall. Is that the Trijicon base?
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. " _ Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Goodwin View Post
    So where did POI go after 25? Is that sight tall enough to work as a ghost ring? And who makes the front sight.

Interesting setup overall. Is that the Trijicon base?
    Gabe has a more info on his setup at his website:

http://www.warriortalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22

Feedback Score

Wink

Honestly I haven't fired for group with the "Ghost Ring" beyond 25 yards. I was experimenting for a project. Personally I don't really like the front sight up there and I think it clutters the sight picture. With the RMR, I shot for group at 25 and got 2.5" with USA Ammo. That is far better than I can do with iron sights. I am also getting first round hits on steel at 200 yards with it.

The tall front sight is something I had my technical services guys come up with to check on its viability. It is good at what it does, but I think I will go back to the original front sight and not be a worry wart about BUIS. The RMR is as tough as an ACOG.

I was reading some old stuff by Kelly McCann about the Docter on his Glock 19 and he has no BUIS. Similarly we have a friend of ours currently OCONUS working on a "project" and he is carrying a Red Dot sighted Glock in Africa with no BUIS. Maybe we worry about this issue too much....I won't. If the Docter is good enough for McCann, the RMR is twice the sight the Docter is.

The installation is not a Trijicon base, it is a Glock slide with a dovetail of sorts milled out to accept the RMR unit. This was the work of our technical guys as well. I like a low as possible sight platform...just like on rifles.
    Last edited by Gabe Suarez; 03-01-10 at 08:31.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Not hard to find:

Tall front sight:

http://www.ameriglo.net/weapon_site/...nt_sights.html

Slide modification:

http://www.bowietacticalconcepts.com/ (Buck is a M4C member)
    http://www.glockwarehouse.com/
    Kelly H
    Yes, I know. No, I won't tell you.

Feedback Score

Epic Win, in the parlance of our times

I just got off the phone with Insight customer service, and my experience could not have been more positive. Upon explaining what happened to the optic to one of their technicians, he recommended that the customer service section send a brand new optic sight unseen (no pun intended) overnight along with a return authorization to be completed at my leisure. I got a UPS shipping notification and tracking number in my email before I even hung up the phone, and I will indeed have a new one tomorrow. While this is really the only way for a company to act under these circumstances, it’s still a breath of fresh air to me given the horror stories others have related in dealing with some other optic manufacturers. Nine thumbs up to Insight.
    Last edited by Brother Rat; 03-01-10 at 10:29.

Feedback Score
    Gabe,

That is really sweet looking, thanks for the thru-the-sight picture. That is a tall sight on there! It seems like if there was a notch in the back of the rear sight, you could use a near normal front sight.

Maybe just as simple as a decal for on the back of the sights glass to make notch in the bottom 1/8 or so to line up with a more normal front sight
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    I have the staff working on another option as we speak. I will report more in a few days

Feedback Score
    Here is my M&P 45 with a RMR and the engraved line on the back for the co-witness to the front. I have a slightly taller front in place and it alignes as you can see very nicely. I am milling the slides and can do the witness line on your RMR with slide milling. Front sight i can supply as well if customer wants the proper co-witness. Even if the witness is off by a little it will be very little and this gives sights that you can use goddness forbid the dot dies. On M&P witness sight in can be done by drifting front sight once dot is sighted in. On glocks either wait and do a line on your own after sight in or the one i mill will be so close you will know what you have to do with a precise line up each time.

David Bowie
    Bowie tactical
    Last edited by Bowie Tactical; 03-08-10 at 14:44.

Feedback Score
    How well could an RMR be integrated into a 1911 slide? How much material can be milled out to make room for the sight?
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast