Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: S&W M&P with Insight MRDS

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by FromMyColdDeadHand View Post
    Grant- In the concealed role, how does the added sight contribute to printing? How were you carrying it?

Thanks
    None at all as the sight is in the forward position and there is an open "pocket" in that area generally.

You have much more printing issues from the grip than anything else.

C4

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    this can only lead to more spending...
    "Buy once, cry once. Or not. Many of you will undoubtedly be zombies one day. I'd prefer if you were zombies with sub-par gear."

Feedback Score
    I haqve been carrying an RMR equipped Glock concealed now for some time. No issues at all and no problems in hiding it. These sights are the wave of the future.

Feedback Score
    Well that was a quick durability test… circa 130 rounds total. I was at the range the other day and after warming up with some groups, I shot some hammer pairs and the dot just flickered out. Bummer.
    I tried repeatedly to turn it back on to no avail, and tried replacing the battery also with no effect. Insight has been notified, and I’m expecting a call back from them on Monday.

On the upside, I got a chance to test the “ghost ring” idea, and it does indeed work at close range. It works very well at 5m and in; I found that 10m is my personal outer limit for this technique.

My initial perception of the death of my optic is that I have what appears to be a lemon on my hands. I think you’ll all agree, especially given that there are lower-end optics out there with thousands and thousands of rounds under them that have not failed, that the MRDS I have is an anomaly. So, thus ends “Project RDS” for now, and begins “Project Let’s See How Insight Takes Care of Me.” They have a rep as a good company, so I’m expecting no difficulty.

Stand by for updates in what I assume will be a week or two.

Feedback Score
    They HAD a rep as a good company, now that L3 (http://www.l-3com.com/investor-relat...97&category=NA) has bought them, we'll see if they end-up like EOTECH...

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Between the Procyon fiasco and now the L3 buyout, I think I'm going to look at a Trijicon MRDS.
    Kelly H
    Yes, I know. No, I won't tell you.

Feedback Score
    The Trijicon RMR I am using is 8 MOA. The Glock has had alot of ammo shot through it with the RMR on it. No issues at all. As an experiment I added a tall suppressor front sight on it giving me an interesting sight pic. Worked pretty good out to about 25 M.
    Last edited by Gabe Suarez; 02-28-10 at 09:47.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by KellyTTE View Post
    Between the Procyon fiasco and now the L3 buyout, I think I'm going to look at a Trijicon MRDS.
    What is this "Procyon fiasco" of which you speak?

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brother Rat View Post
    Well that was a quick durability test… circa 130 rounds total. I was at the range the other day and after warming up with some groups, I shot some hammer pairs and the dot just flickered out. Bummer.
    I tried repeatedly to turn it back on to no avail, and tried replacing the battery also with no effect. Insight has been notified, and I’m expecting a call back from them on Monday.

On the upside, I got a chance to test the “ghost ring” idea, and it does indeed work at close range. It works very well at 5m and in; I found that 10m is my personal outer limit for this technique.

My initial perception of the death of my optic is that I have what appears to be a lemon on my hands. I think you’ll all agree, especially given that there are lower-end optics out there with thousands and thousands of rounds under them that have not failed, that the MRDS I have is an anomaly. So, thus ends “Project RDS” for now, and begins “Project Let’s See How Insight Takes Care of Me.” They have a rep as a good company, so I’m expecting no difficulty.

Stand by for updates in what I assume will be a week or two.

This post is not mean to disparage your choice in optics or your setup, but is meant to illustrate a point.

The above fail of the MRDS is why I believe that there has to be some rules/protocol when using a RDS on a pistol (that will be used for defensive purposes).

Rule # 1: The RDS has to be co-witnessed with irons.

Rule # 2: If the RDS is NOT co-witnessed, then there needs to be a reliable laser package on the gun.

To the OP, good luck with your issue.

C4

Feedback Score
    Grant:

I agree completely and those were the same conclusions I've come to in considering this over the past couple days. I can't do the laser because I have little girl hands and the Crimson Trace setup is bigger than I like. Another option is a rail-mounted laser, but that's a whole 'nother can of worms with regard to which one to get and finding a holster to fit it, etc. Which leaves having the optic sunk into the slide, and possibly a taller front sight installed, a la Gabe a couple posts up. Currently looking at some options for getting this done locally, but I'll be going out of town soon for a good 6 months, so it may be a while before I post that particular update here. It'll be interesting to see where this concept goes over the next year or so as it starts to catch on.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast