Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How is recoil on a 9x18 Makarov?

Feedback Score

How is recoil on a 9x18 Makarov?

I have a P64 that is absolutely brutal to shoot, even after I installed the Wolff spring kit. Accurate as hell, but I can't shoot more than a few mags before the soreness takes the enjoyment out of it.

I've always wanted a Makarov, and am considering selling the P64 for an East German Mak. I don't want to bother with one if it beats the hell out of my hand like the P64, though.

Any input? (Aside from "Don't be a pussy.")

Feedback Score
    Perception of recoil is a personal issue that I have wondered about for a long time.Each of us reacts to recoil differently and "feels" it differently.

I cannot tolerate shooting more than 2 mags through a G23 in .40 cal,while I can shoot a BHP in .40 or a S&W M&P (compact or F/S ) with no pain at all.

To me,that means that grip angle is an issue.

My guess is that the P64 has a shorter grip,thereby causing the recoil to be more focused in a smaller portion of your hand than a Mak would.This obviously makes range time a literal "pain"

Having owned several Maks,I find them to be more comfortable to shoot than a Walther PPK in .380,so in my case,it's the length and angle of the grip that causes discomfort in shooting certain guns for me.

DAT85

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Can't speak to the Mak or P64, but I have a CZ82 that's dead nuts reliable and pleasant to shoot. Recoil impulse is more of a push rather than anything else. Easy to get back on target and follow up shots are right on the mark. Could be the design with a blowback action and the barrel locked into the frame that helps, not sure.

Only complaint I have is the horrid double action trigger and the extremely long single action trigger. And spare magazines are expensive. Other than that it is what it is, a $300 pistol in a caliber that's dubious at best for self defense. But ammo is cheap, it's fun to shoot and as a walking around the property after dark to keep critters at bay until I get back to the house gun, it's not a bad deal and has served well in that capacity.

If looking for another 9x18 Mak, I would take a look into the CZ82. They can still be had for $350 or so and if J&G Sales gets them back in, they last listed them around $300 even.
    Experience is a cruel teacher, gives the exam first and then the lesson.

Feedback Score
    I find the Makarov to be more comfortable to shoot than the CZ82 or Sig P230 .380 I've owned. Frankly, I haven't figured out why but the Makarov isn't as sharp of recoil as some other blowback guns I've owned/fired.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnut284 View Post
    I find the Makarov to be more comfortable to shoot than the CZ82 or Sig P230 .380 I've owned. Frankly, I haven't figured out why but the Makarov isn't as sharp of recoil as some other blowback guns I've owned/fired.
    Problem I kept coming back to with the Mak or P64 was lack of spare magazines. The market on Makarov mags dried up before I got into that game and the P64 just never had significant numbers imported. I'm sure there's a warehouse full of the damn things sitting somewhere in Poland just waiting to be snatched up by someone, but it was a deal killer for me.

That and the trigger on the P64 is nothing to scream about. I just find the CZ82 to be a good balance between capacity, mag availability, trigger and overall ergonomics.
    Experience is a cruel teacher, gives the exam first and then the lesson.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Re: How is recoil on a 9x18 Makarov?

I had both and never thought the P64 to be brutal. Pretty soft shooting actually with OEM parts. However the Mak is a bit softer. Its bigger, heavier and absorbs recoil a bit more. That being said its still sharp

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Arik View Post
    I had both and never thought the P64 to be brutal. Pretty soft shooting actually with OEM parts. However the Mak is a bit softer. Its bigger, heavier and absorbs recoil a bit more. That being said its still sharp

I found the P64 and the PA63 both transfer recoil directly into the bone at the base of your thumb. I speculate it's the blowback action and narrow, metal grip.

The mak seemed to fit my hand better, and since it's a bit larger and heavier, might have a more pleasant recoil impulse.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Re: How is recoil on a 9x18 Makarov?

Maybe! Recoil is a personal thing. I never fired a gun and felt it was to much recoil and ive shot some weird stuff. .50DE, 44mag and even a pocket Derrenger in 45LC.

Feedback Score

How is recoil on a 9x18 Makarov?

Recoil felt fine... felt like it had 26lb trigger pull though. Holy hell.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I believe the straight blowback action exacerbates the recoil of the 9x18 cartridge versus the same chambering in a locked-breech design (not that I can think of any locked-breech 9x18s). This is common with sub-compact blowback .380s versus sub-compact locked-breech .380s like the Colt Mustang. Short, narrow metal frames will make it worse. Complaints of the P-64's recoil seem to be very common.

I find that the Makarov is pleasant to shoot as is the CZ-82 (I have extensive experience with both) as they're both closer to being full-size service pistols than the P-64, which I have not fired but held and would consider a compact. I did note the trigger on the P-64 was not anywhere as good as the Makarov or CZ. Actually, I don't want to downplay it. The P-64s trigger was atrocious!
    Last edited by El Pistolero; 04-13-13 at 21:56.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast