View Poll Results: Would you pay a tad bit more for artisticlly customized gear?

Voters
267. You may not vote on this poll
  • only if i could have my own design applied.

69 25.84%
  • only if it was my own design and it came with a similarly logo adorned stuffed marmot!

18 6.74%
  • not on your life! i am a stingy bastard without a drop of creative juice flowing through my veins.

31 11.61%
  • i hate you. your stupid. and im too cool for you.

19 7.12%
  • as long as it was tac-ti-cool!

28 10.49%
  • hells to the no. you are dumb!

39 14.61%
  • yep. i think its sweet.

88 32.96%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: NEVER AGAIN!! (updated with tutorial) and cheesy poll.

Feedback Score
    56 (100%)
    That stencil job is really excellent, the artistry shows in the execution.

I will probably try this once I go to Home Depot again, but with Black PMAGs and some approximation of Dark Earth or UDE.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    That does look neat!

I run black PMags, and I've just been using a silver paint pen with my initals and the mag number.

Your work looks really good, it looks sharp with the rest of the Magpul goodness on your carbine.

Feedback Score
    That looks great. I may have to steal the idea especially if someone finds stencils to do double digits.

Right now I'm using a White-out pen marking my initials and numbers on the base plate.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    This also has the added benefit of being able to track the performance of each individual mag. If you start having problems, you can make a note to see if there's a trend. That way you will know if a mag is completely reliable or needs to be relegated to "other" duties or even tossed.

Then again, if I were in a situation that my life depended on the mag functioning everytime, I'd probably just toss out any problem child

I like how you did the numbering. It looks professional and has a certain no-nonsense high speed low drag look to it. Bet if you offered this as a service, you'd have customers
    Last edited by MistWolf; 01-23-10 at 13:32.

Feedback Score
    252, great job!

How did you place the stencil on the mag prior to painting? Did you just "set" the stencil down on the mag and give it a couple swipes from 6-12 inches away or did you somehow tape the stencil down. The edges around the numbers came out really defined. And my last question is how did you protect the window on the mags....tape? Thanks again for your help. Id rather ask you then get my scrapbooking wife involved. Who knows what the hell would be painted on my pmags!

Feedback Score
    wow thanks for all the compliments guys. i never thought my frustration would turn into a hit haha. anyway to answer a couple of questions. one way i found to get past the number limit was to put the first digit of the duel digit number on the left side of the magazine and the second on the right so basically magazine 25 would read 2 on the left and 5 on the right. also i got the letter and symbol pack of stencils too so i get magazine A-Z as well as !, @, #,$,%,&*.... and so on. so really the possibility's are endless.

as far as how to get the stencil on the magazine, i kind of like things sloppy and industrial looking so the over spray was a must. i just laid the mag on the side, took a tiny piece of masking tape and stuck it on the back of the stencil so it wouldn't move and stuck it on there crooked, well in my OCD its angled to the rear on my reaction side and forward on my right side... then i shot the paint from about 10" away on an angle to get the over spray maybe 3 or 4 swipes and thats it. o and i did tape off the windowed pmags.

maybe ill make some kind of tutorial we'll call it "art of the dynamic magazine stencil" or something hahaha.

anyway glad ya like it.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    [QUOTE=252actual;550526}one way i found to get past the number limit was to put the first digit of the duel digit number on the left side of the magazine and the second on the right so basically magazine 25 would read 2 on the left and 5 on the right. also i got the letter and symbol pack of stencils too so i get magazine A-Z as well as !, @, #,$,%,&*.... and so on. so really the possibility's are endless.QUOTE]

My OCD won't let me stencil both sides....
    Last edited by danish; 01-23-10 at 16:23.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)

Thumbs up

Great job on those mags!

Feedback Score
    39 (100%)

Question

yeah i have a question. What kind of paint do you guys use for the best protection? Because i used camouflage paints and the pain came out after two weeks.
    do you need to add protective lay of paint on top as final coat? or just spray heavy coat and repeat it for 2 times ?

Feedback Score
    ill have to post a review after ive used them for a while. i have painted lots of my gear though and from my experience a thinner coat works best. the thicker the paint the more it seems to chip off. scratching is unavoidable, and i kind of like the scratches it shows that they are actualy getting used but the lighter the coat the longer it seems to last. at least thats my experience.

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast