Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Blitz_308's (Justin) Gunfight Tactics, Wounds and Recovery (Graphic Pics included)

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by armakraut View Post
    He walked away from the landing, he's in once piece, the badguy is behind bars, hard to criticize that

If he was trained and had room to move in the initial encounter that might have been a good time to get off the X.
    Without a doubt he did well

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    I'm sure he was scared shitless, I don't blame him, but I think he should've engaged the gunman prior to him being under his direct control. He lost the element of surprise that he would've had prior to him spotting his IWB holster. Whether this would've been feasible is a guessing game but most importantly I do hope he has a speedy recovery.

Pg. 7 of the TOS thread shows the bullet wounds if you want to skip all the other stuff.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by irishluck73 View Post
    I'm sure he was scared shitless, I don't blame him, but I think he should've engaged the gunman prior to him being under his direct control. He lost the element of surprise that he would've had prior to him spotting his IWB holster. Whether this would've been feasible is a guessing game.

This is what I kept coming back to...certainly not throwing any stones and simply taking this as a learning opportunity. I've never even been close to a situation having to make last second / life taking decisions.

Friggin scary indeed!!
    "You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass."
    Japanese Admiral Yamamoto, 1941

"A wise man's heart directs him toward the right, but a foolish man's heart directs him toward the left."
    Ecclesiastes 10:2:

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by NCPatrolAR View Post
    IMO, he waited a bit too late to act. Ideally (and this is pure MMQBing) he should have tried to engage the suspect when the suspect was across the room from him. Had he had some level of training, he might have felt comfortable in doing this.
    That's a huge point.

To the best of my knowledge Blitz has little (if any) formal training. Training impacts your perceptions on what you can do under stress. He stated in previous threads his main worry was accidentally causing injury to his friends. With training you gain an understanding of what you can pull off under various circumstances and that helps eliminate hesitation and "what if..." questions.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Yeah, it was the 1911's fault. Or, perhaps, just perhaps, it was the giant hole in his firing hand that affected his grip.

Glad he came out of it ok.

I also got a shiver when they allowed themselves to be moved to a secluded place. I used to be a district manager and ran 18 stores over 3 states and had a few robberies. I told my people to just give 'em the money, but if they ask you to go with them, anywhere, nothing good will come of it. One gal got robbed while she was by herself and he took the money, then he wanted her to go get in his car. She scratched the shit out of his face (and eye) and he left. Fight fast.

It also sounds like he was in contact distance. A couple of small classes I've been to often promote a "push and move" or attempt to control the weapon somehow. What say you guys?
    Time flies when you throw your watch.

Feedback Score
    I think this incident is a good example of mindset, training, and the differences between the two.

You can have all the training in the world, and not have the correct mindset to apply it, and vice versa.

While Blitz may have not been a training junkie, he had the mindset of a fighter. A fighter who was protecting his life and his friends lives, and he would do anything to burn that MFer down to the ground regardless of being hit in both hands.

Sheep Dog.
    Last edited by Derek_Connor; 01-22-10 at 09:23.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by modern_pirate View Post
    Or you realize why you don't carry a 1911.

M_P
    [hijack]
    Look all I meant by this was I have presented the 1911 from the draw in practice enough times to know that I don't get 100% grip safety activation. Therefore, I made the rational decision to carry another firearm.

I happen to really like the 1911 a lot. I think they are excellent weapons. I just decided I don't have the mittens required to use it under stress.
    [/hijack]

This really reinforces the "always carry" rule for me and for places that are non-permissive the "concealed means concealed" rule.

M_P

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    we could what if all day with most any model of wheel gun or auto...
    We aren't playing "what if." He DID fail to engage his grip safety. I was just mentioning a consideration.

Look all I meant by this was I have presented the 1911 from the draw in practice enough times to know that I don't get 100% grip safety activation. Therefore, I made the rational decision to carry another firearm.
    +1
    Last edited by William B.; 01-22-10 at 13:19.
    Owner/Instructor at Resolute Response

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Look at these pictures, closely, get off the 1911 grip safety issue, because to be honest, it's a mother****ing miracle he could hold ANY GUN AT ALL:

Left hand entry. Thumb has 2 pins inside.

Right hand entry. Knuckle held together with wire & 2 pins. 3 more pins in back of hand.

Look at them again, note that they are now held together with pins and wires. This isn't just blunt trauma where your hand is hurting like hell and doesn't work right. This is bones destroyed and the actual geometry has been altered.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by NCPatrolAR View Post
    When it comes to when he should have "made his move"; most peope will tll you to not allow yourself to be moved to "crime scene 2" which is what occured.
    Exactly my thoughts as I read the story. "Scene 2" is where one usually ends up in a box/trash can/bag/haji van, etc.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast