Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: S&W M&P and Trijicon RMR

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by FromMyColdDeadHand View Post
    Oh my, an RMR, CT grips, and an X300......

Someone posted some pics of a doctor type sight on a glock (?) and they showed how much (little) the gun had to tilt to lose the dot. Don't know if you could show the range of gun postions that you can still see the dot from.

Really interested in this. Everything else has red dots on them, why not your handgun? I wonder how much you can mill out of an M&P slide, and do some handguns let you mill out more than others? Could you drill some holes from the bottom of the slide and get rid of all that mount height?

If I like this setup, I will lower profile mounts made and mill out the slide.

C4

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post
    The RMR does a much better job with washout than other Trijicon products I think.

If I was going to mount one of these on a rifle, I would go with the electronic version.
    Does the LED version not have the washout issues? Is it "Aimpoint bright"?

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RWK View Post
    Does the LED version not have the washout issues? Is it "Aimpoint bright"?
    Correct.

C4

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Your dot is still 13-ish MOA no matter what the distance. A 3.25 MOA dot at 25 would only cover roughly an inch of target. No matter, I would be fine with a dot that big on a pistol. I have a 9MOA RMR and I really like it, it's riding on a shotgun right now. I am willing to sacrifice some brightness for not needing batteries.

I have experimented with various sizes and the 7MOA worked out best for me on a handgun. The 3.5 Insight MRDS (I think it's the best of it's kind) was too small for me to pick up consistently. If I dedicate a gun to a red-dot it will be the MRDS in 7 MOA.

I am puzzled as to why anyone would make a sight of this nature and not have it fit Docter-pattern mounts. It seems your market would be that much bigger with all the mounts and optics already on the market. If people could retrofit existing mounts with new sights (Elcan Specter, Trijicon ECOS, Larue's Irondots) I bet they'd sell more of these.
    Last edited by M4Guru; 01-18-10 at 10:36.

Feedback Score
    Grant, I've been very interested in this concept ever since I saw the set up on the FN 45, but I am curious as to your thinkng. Is the idea of this RDS along with CT grips simply for redundancy? Why else would you want to couple these 2 things.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by M4Guru View Post
    Your dot is still 13-ish MOA no matter what the distance. A 3.25 MOA dot at 25 would only cover roughly an inch of target. No matter, I would be fine with a dot that big on a pistol. I have a 9MOA RMR and I really like it, it's riding on a shotgun right now. I am willing to sacrifice some brightness for not needing batteries.

I have experimented with various sizes and the 7MOA worked out best for me on a handgun. The 3.5 Insight MRDS (I think it's the best of it's kind) was too small for me to pick up consistently. If I dedicate a gun to a red-dot it will be the MRDS in 7 MOA.

I am puzzled as to why anyone would make a sight of this nature and not have it fit Docter-pattern mounts. It seems your market would be that much bigger with all the mounts and optics already on the market. If people could retrofit existing mounts with new sights (Elcan Specter, Trijicon ECOS, Larue's Irondots) I bet they'd sell more of these.

How is the LED version doing on your SG?? That is a true test for an optics durability.

I originally thought that a 13MOA might be too big. After talking with some friends about what competition shooters run, I think it will work well.

C4

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by yugo308guy View Post
    Grant, I've been very interested in this concept ever since I saw the set up on the FN 45, but I am curious as to your thinkng. Is the idea of this RDS along with CT grips simply for redundancy? Why else would you want to couple these 2 things.

When using a none battery powered optic, there can always be a reticle washout issue. The CT laser grips are a good idea IMHO when using this type of optic.

In the event that the dot fails, you could also point shoot.
    I do a lot of CQD/low light shooting so I might be more concerned about it than others.

C4
    Last edited by C4IGrant; 01-18-10 at 12:30.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I haven't really fired it much to be honest, maybe 50 rounds of 00 buck. So far, so good.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    These are pictures off of David Bowie's site detailing the cut in the slide that is made for a J-Point. Surely not the same for an RMR but similar. The lower the better I would suppose. http://www.bowietacticalconcepts.com/mandpprices.html

Last edited by JohnN; 01-18-10 at 15:06.
    Silence In The Face Of Evil Is Itself Evil:
    God Will Not Hold Us Guiltless.
    Not To Speak Is To Speak.
    Not To Act Is To Act.

Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Feedback Score
    Grant,

Can you post some pics from the back of the gun showing how the dot works and what happens when the gun tilts up and down?

Thanks!

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast