Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Is the FN Scar here to stay? + Other Scar Questions

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Templar View Post
    The barrel on a SCAR uses an insert in the gas port that will make it work for the specific barrel length it's pressed in for.

That's not something that should probably be messed with unless it's done at an FN armory level.
    I know, which makes the current SBR situation with the SCAR very discouraging.

There is no factory option and probably never will be.

The SCAR barrel assembly is quite complex as it contains a front sight, gas block, and rail, so it will be daunting for aftermarket barrel makers.

There is some rumor CMMG will be handling SBR barrels in tandem with FN. Guess we'll see if it is true or not.
    Kein Mitleid Für Die Mehrheit
    What Happened to the American dream? It came true. You're looking at it.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Templar View Post
    The barrel on a SCAR uses an insert in the gas port that will make it work for the specific barrel length it's pressed in for.

That's not something that should probably be messed with unless it's done at an FN armory level.
    Yep, it's good to be in NoVA....
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I'm excited for the release of the Heavy- feels like Santa is on his way.

How much will the - not so smart - pay for the first few out? $10,000? More?

Anyone know or speculate what will be a good price to pay for one? I've heard that $2600- $2800 should do it.
    Last edited by joshua79109; 11-28-09 at 14:53.
    Joshua 24:14-15

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" Edmund Burke

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    A buddy of mine just got 4 SCARs in at his shop. Their price is $2899 and they're located in the Scottsdale area. If you're interested PM me and I'll give you his contact info.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sinister View Post
    I doubt it.

Any rifle whose major components are made of 6061 aluminum isn't a serious combat weapon.

Any outfit that manufactures combat weapons of this material is specifically designing in planned obsolescence -- kinda like how GM dug its own hole.
    I'm interested in hearing more on this. I feel like I'm missing something here?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Did the SCAR have any teething issues? And, if the industry professionals could comment--how are the SCAR's in the field doing?

Interested. If the above information is privileged then so be it, but I am curious.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    If the -17s does actually release after Christmas Ill pick it up, provided it isnt much higher than the $3k I paid for the -16s. Still got a 18" LWRC REPR on order that Ill cancel for a 7.62 SCAR.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Question

For those in the know...

Other than the obvious; barrel length and FA FCG...are there any differances between the SCAR 16S and the MK16?

I was wondering just how "mil-spec" the civilian verisons are.
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Moose-Knuckle View Post
    For those in the know...

Other than the obvious; barrel length and FA FCG...are there any differances between the SCAR 16S and the MK16?

I was wondering just how "mil-spec" the civilian verisons are.
    There are apparently some differences in the magwell. New TangoDown ARC mags that drop free from Mk16s do not seem to drop free from most SCAR 16S. Not sure if that is due to the fact that SCARs might be imported in a ban config and then "debanned" stateside. I noticed the inside of my magwell has some sort of ground down steel pin in it. There are FN guys here on the board. Hopefully they can confirm or correct my observations.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RAM Engineer View Post
    There are apparently some differences in the magwell. New TangoDown ARC mags that drop free from Mk16s do not seem to drop free from most SCAR 16S. Not sure if that is due to the fact that SCARs might be imported in a ban config and then "debanned" stateside. I noticed the inside of my magwell has some sort of ground down steel pin in it. There are FN guys here on the board. Hopefully they can confirm or correct my observations.
    This is also true of the PMAG. From what I understand, they don't drop free from most civilian SCARs, but PMAGs have no issue with the military users who are running them in Mk16 guns.
    --Nick
    Owner, Reptilia & Side Project, LLC

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast