Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Help! - Oly crash & burn... :0(

Feedback Score
    Oops _ Edit. Northern Nevada, now..!!
    "Strength and Honor."

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CoryCop25 View Post
    It is most likely a blown out primer floating around between the upper and the BCG. It could also be the cam pin (the part that connects the bolt to the carrier). You will most likely have to remove the receiver extension and remove the bolt and other parts through the rear of the receiver.
    There is a special tool you can buy that will stop this from happening ever again. It's called a Noveske N4.
    ETA: Didn't think about the buffer retaining pin but it still needs to come apart the same way.
    Roger that. Shooting XM193, a popped primer would be my guess as well. That ammo is the most common that is talked about, as far as popped primers are concerned. In my last class, a guy was popping them almost continuously, locking up the BCG, on TD1, until he switched ammo on TD2.
    Someone had a thread on here, about a popped primer landing in the cam pin hole, locking up his weapon.
    Last edited by RogerinTPA; 10-19-09 at 18:30.
    For God and the soldier we adore, In time of danger, not before! The danger passed, and all things righted, God is forgotten and the soldier slighted." - Rudyard Kipling

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by geminidglocker View Post
    Do you mean to say;"As if the buffer has jumped over the buffer retention detent stop."?
    If that is the case, it will likely be necessary to remove both the castle nut and the receiver extension tube. Then, you will be able to remove the buffer from the rear.
    P.S. Don't forget there are springs involved.
    this is your best bet for getting it apart again if you can't pop both pins and separate it.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by geminidglocker View Post
    I'de just like to commend those of us, whom instead of just flaming his rifle, are genuinely trying to figure out his issue. From a gunsmithing satand point, I'm just interested to learn about the issue, not bash the brand. Oh, and I agree, Try removing both receiver pins.
    If this were a bushmaster, cmmg, dpms, or some other mid/low grade gun I could agree.

But Oly is such a bad gun that trying to understand the junk they crank out is a waste of one's time. All you need to understand about Oly is that it's trash and should be avoided without exception.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    If this were a bushmaster, cmmg, dpms, or some other mid/low grade gun I could agree.

But Oly is such a bad gun that trying to understand the junk they crank out is a waste of one's time. All you need to understand about Oly is that it's trash and should be avoided without exception.
    Granted, but seeing as how the OP is willing to roll with the punches, do you have a "Gunsmith Kinks" version of help. I'll bet that although the OPs rifle is "Sub-Par", it is most likely fixable and he came here looking for nothing else, knowing that he would be flamed. So, can we get a new forum for the "Non-Teir one rifles" Likely, in time these folks will upgrade to higher end weapons by staying on this forum, as opposed to scareing them away. It has been obvious lately that some folks enjoy shooting,...Is it not our duty to attempt to educate them? We should atleast make every effort. Well, there's my two cents. He still did not tell us whether or not he attempted to remove the "Hinge-Pin" on the front of the reciever.
    Last edited by geminidglocker; 10-19-09 at 18:53. Reason: spelling

Feedback Score
    Next time I have a problem with one of my teir one rifles, I am going to say that it was an RRA,DPMS,OLY,ETC; Most likely will never happen, but if I do have a critical malfunction on one of my good rifles, I'll pretend that it happened to one of my "Lower-teir" weapons. You wil all flame me, likely I would flame me too. But Surprise,Surprise,Surprise.......Lo and Behold, a legitimate failure in a (Insert name of Tier One manufacturer here) That should keep us on our toes for a bit.
    P.S. If this post is offensive to anyone, please kindly delete it. I am not trying to start anything, I just want to keep the new folks interested in fixing or hopefully upgradeing their AR. If I wanted to be a dick I'de have stayed in Iraq.
    And yes, I agree, Olympic should just call it quits.
    Hey Doogie,Get rid of the thing, It is quite likely worth something toward a trade in.
    Last edited by geminidglocker; 10-19-09 at 20:20.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Gemini, I agree with you 100%. All joking aside, most of us have owned inferior brands in the past. I was once a proud owner of an Oly and a Bushy at the same time. FWIW, the Bushy never gave me a problem, it was just something I didn't want anymore so I got rid of it at the right price. I now have a Frankengun that I still don't believe is "Tier 1" but I have come a VERY long way and have learned a ton of things on this forum! What I like the most about this forum, and this thread is a perfect example, is that no one has ever told me or anyone posting a question about their Oly, Bushy, RRA or the like that their gun is a POS and to get rid of it. The OP, knowing he was going to get shelled with a little bit of sarcasm, asked his question on M4C for one reason and one reason only.... He was going to get the help he needed. EVERYONE that replied gave him the right advice and rather quickly, if I might add. The bad publicity about the "lower tier" bashing on M4C comes from people who post here thinking that their AR is the best and no one is going to tell them different. I have NEVER been told that my choice in an AR part was not a good idea without PROOF as to why I could get something MUCH better for just a LITTLE bit more cash.
    "Perfect Practice Makes Perfect"
    "There are 550 million firearms on this planet. That's one firearm for every 12 people. The question is... How do we arm the other 11?" Lord of War.
    "I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    After reading these forums I've been upgrading all my M4's I putting either Bravo Co M16 bolt carrier groups .I'm putting H buffers in all of them.In one I did use a M16 CMT boltcarrier mp tested bolt upgraded the bolt with Bravo Co extractor spring with O ring.They have chromlined barrels with M4 feedramps.
    Whatelse can I do .I think I've got the bases covered
    I also Properly Staked the castle nut and bolt carrier key.
    It's almost as good as a Colt
    Last edited by the.2nd1; 10-19-09 at 21:24.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Maybe the guy bought his Oly before he found this site. Maybe he bought his Oly when Oly's were better than the SP1 crap colt was peddling to the masses. Maybe the only rifle available for a decent price for 200 miles was his Oly. I give the guy kudos for having an AR, any AR, and seeking the wisdom of those here willing to give it without knocking his gear. He is here to learn, just like everyone else. His particular malfunction sounds ammo related to me and if so the same problem could even knock the exalted Noveske off of its mantle. Answer his question, help him out, and keep your opinions of his Oly to yourselves. Personally, I think the majority of those here who belittle the rifles of others have checkbooks and mouths more capable than their shooting and tactical ability.

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    A few thoughts here.

Since DPMS is known for tight barrels my guess is that there is a primer lodged either in the bolt cam area or worst case scenario in between the walls of the upper and the BCG.

I recommend getting the proper tools and removing the lower receiver extension aka buffer tube. Once you have done that you can use a light and possibly get a better view of what is happening.

If it is in the cam pin/ bolt area you may have to use a brass punch and come in through the ejection port and tap the bolt carrier to the rear. I HIGHLY ENCOURAGE A BRASS PUNCH as it will not damage the receiver or leave scaring like a steel one.

These types of things tend to be a pain in the ass and just expect that you may experience a little damage to some small parts.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast