Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My first build: Eleanor

Feedback Score

And the survey says! Gone in 60 seconds! LOL

Thanks for the welcome all, Eleanor came from, yes, Gone in 60 seconds. It has an element of class.

As far as the front grip looking like something off a Keltec rifle, I hadn't thought about that until you mentioned it! It does kinda. Actually, came from Brownells, the back side has the pressure switch for the tac light and even though it adds some weight with a 30-round magazine works awesome. It is also comfortable without a magazine in it which keeps the weight down pretty good.

I've already sighted her in, 100% in the 10-ring at 100 yards with iron or the red dot. I obviously prefer the red-dot. I will be purchasing a couple more lowers, I think one in .308 and the other 5.56 I'll build with a 24" bull barrel for longer distance shooting.
    Jay

Feedback Score

Nope, 5.56 NATO

Quote Originally Posted by billybronco View Post
    Is that airsoft?
    Nope, 5.56 NATO

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by LOKNLOD View Post
    Indeed!

uspshooter,
    Why don't you tell us about the details? What kind of components did you use, and why did you choose the ones you chose?

This is my first ever build, I bought the lower a year ago, it is a Superior S-15. The rest of the basic rifle I bought as a kit from Blackthorne (or akpartskits.com), their prices are great. The kit had everything except for the lower. I opted for an A3M4 style with A2 front sight, I bought a detachable carry handle (w/large aperture rear sight), front grip, weaver sight riser, and rail which mounted to the bottom of standard front guard. I found the red-dot on clearance and already had the tac light, it's a Surefire 9P.

Finished it off with magazines from Bravocompanyusa.com, they have an awesome deal going right now. 30-round with green followers for $9 apiece. I ordered 10 and had them shipped for less than $100.

The basic rifle took an afternoon as the upper & barrel were already assembled (no worry about headspacing). I've added the other parts slowly over the past few days. Really my decision making process was based on price although not for everything. The only thing I'm not sure about is the upper/barrel. I don't know the manufacturer yet, it is either DPMS or Olympic.

I think that's about it, except that I learned this was about a million times easier than I expected and am ready to build some more. I've been a pistol shooter for a long time but this will change some things I think!
    Jay
    Last edited by uspshooter; 09-30-09 at 21:43.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by uspshooter View Post
    Thanks for the welcome all, Eleanor came from, yes, Gone in 60 seconds.
    And circle gets the square...

I think one in .308 and the other 5.56 I'll build with a 24" bull barrel for longer distance shooting.
    Jay
    Don't forget to add a nice free float rail . Nice clean and simple rifle that suits your needs.
    Last edited by Ak44; 09-30-09 at 21:46.
    "There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion." — Gen. William Thornson, U.S. Army

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ak44 View Post
    And circle gets the square...

Don't forget to add a nice free float rail . Nice clean and simple rifle that suits your needs.
    Yes I'll keep the stock forearm on this one, the others will be free float 4-rail.

I've put a total of about 50 rounds through her and everything seems real tight, I think she is a real shooter. This is for CQB but I do want to try my hand at long distance rifle shooting. I've always liked 25yd+ pistol, I think this will be easier!

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Yes I'll keep the stock forearm on this one, the others will be free float 4-rail.

I've put a total of about 50 rounds through her and everything seems real tight, I think she is a real shooter. This is for CQB but I do want to try my hand at long distance rifle shooting. I've always liked 25yd+ pistol, I think this will be easier!
    What are your plans for a sling?
    "There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion." — Gen. William Thornson, U.S. Army

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ak44 View Post
    What are your plans for a sling?
    Since this is really a CQB weapon, I'll going for a 2 point sling. The front mount is good to go, need to replace the plate between the lower and the buttstock for mounting on the rear side. That should give plenty of flexibility especially when carrying a sidearm. One other thing I did was tap the lower where the rear takedown detent spring and pin are inserted. The spring is held in with a screw, that goes flush with the back of the lower, instead of the plate. That facilitates removal of the stock without having to worry about that spring disappearing.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Nice little carbine.

50 rounds is just getting warmed up, get out there and put some serious rounds downrange.
    "The sword is more important than the shield, and skill is more important than either. The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental." John Steinbeck

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    One other thing I did was tap the lower where the rear takedown detent spring and pin are inserted. The spring is held in with a screw, that goes flush with the back of the lower, instead of the plate. That facilitates removal of the stock without having to worry about that spring disappearing.
    What is this screw business all about?? Do you honestly plan on swapping endplates so frequently that losing a spring was worth possibly ruining your lower? Stake your endplate into the castle nut and forget it. Perform upgrades that will matter such as verifying that your chamber is 5.56 and not .223 (regardless of how it is marked) and reaming it to 5.56 if necessary; ensure proper staking on BCG; and determine the usability of a two-point sling with your current vertical fore-thing and that standard FSB mount.

Welcome to the m4 world...we'll get you squared away.

Feedback Score
    Sgt. R. Lee Ermey will be glad to hear you named your rifle!

"Eleanor, gee I think you're swell
    And you really do me well
    You're my pride and joy"

lyrics by The Turtles...
    Last edited by Quentin; 10-01-09 at 00:56.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast