Thread: DMR build complete

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

DMR build complete

Designated Marksman Rifle 9.1 lbs, w/o the Nightforce NXS 2.5-10x32 optic (+19 oz.)

Spec's:
    Noveske 18" VIS Upper stainless w/pinned PWS brake
    Bobro Optic mount from Rainier
    MagPul MBUS
    Ergo "ladder" Rail covers
    ErgoPressure switch holder

Noveske 2nd lower and LPK from G&R Tactical
    Geissele Automatics Two Stage Trigger Semi-Auto
    Nogan Ambi catch
    Ambi Safety from PK
    Ergo Rigid Grip
    Cav Arms A1 stock
    MagPul trigger guard

Light:
    Old Insight M-6X I had laying around

Optic arrives tomorrow

After I have some time to run it I may swap the Insight for a Surefire X300

I have a Grippod for now and a harris, but after reading some of failuretostops comments on the grippod I might us the new Knight handstop instead.

The insperation is a alternative to the heavy M-14EBR's getting humped in the sandbox, I bear some blame for

I'm also going to look at the Sully stock I am testing on a old build to reduce the size of the package(loving NY):
    pro-patria.us

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Very nice! Have you thought about the Tangodown bipod? Botachtactical (my vendor of last resort) has them for 130 bucks.
    Last edited by kmrtnsn; 09-28-09 at 22:21.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    16 oz for the Tango vs 7 oz for the Grippod, plus added bulk. I'm attempting to keep the rifle light and handy. For now I'm not going to use it with the grippod either. I'll compare it with the other rifle and see how it works out.

As for Botac, they just came through again with a Aimpoint H-1. I have been lucky with them so far.
    pro-patria.us

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    "w/pinned PWS brake"

Just curious.....why pin the brake?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    FREAKIN' SWEEEEEET!

Honestly, that is exactly what I want to build minus the grip and stock. Very Very nice!

I am guessing the muzzle devise is pinned because he lives in a state that requires it? I live in NJ and would have to pin the muzzle brake as well.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by adh View Post
    "w/pinned PWS brake"

Just curious.....why pin the brake?
    I'm not a big fan of the rooms at our state prisions.
    pro-patria.us

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DMR View Post
    I'm not a big fan of the rooms at our state prisions.
    Understood....your state/local isn't listed......I forget sometimes that there are still BAN states out there....sweet build especially considering it is BAN compliant

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Nightforce Arrived

I finaly was able to get the picks together. The Nightforce NXS 2.5-10x32 arrived. Weight with optic 10 lbs 4 oz.

I chose to use the turret covers and the Velocity reticle.

The guiding principle behind the set up is simplicity. on a $3000+ set up?

Starting with the lower, the stock does not adjust, the ergo grips fits me and does not adjust. bottom line nothing "extra". Controls are ambi, except the bolt release. The Geissele Automatics does not adjust. Nothing to lose, adjust, or ect. Anything could be replaced at a any shop with no issues.

Upper. now here you can argue it's not kiss, but.... The VIS upper means you have a "one" piece upper. Rails are alinged and nothing to come loose. The barrel, dispite the intermidiate gas system, can still be replaced if required with a normal M-16 barrel. You only need the VIS wrench. The PWS brake was a a NY requirement and helps with follow up shots. The MBUS were choosen for light weight and low price.

Lights are a operational requirement.

Now the optic. The qd Bobro mount was selected because you can't shoot irons with a magnified optic in place, simple enough. the NSX represented the balance of features I'm looking for in a DM optic. Turret covers were selected because few DMs will or should make adjustments in the field between shots. Using covers insures that that nothing turns the turrets impacting zero. If called for the shooter can remove the covers and set any dope required. The Velocity reticle has provides a quick ablity to do hold overs for engaging targets at long range. You can plenty of faults with that, however, it's a referance. if you know the dope for your rifle it is effective.

I was looking for a first focal so that you can use the reticle at al ranges, but after more time I am comfortable without for now. For patrol use the rifle should be carried on the 2.5 setting. This makes the rifle quick into action and using the 200 cross hair you can engage anything that you should not be shooting from a supported position. Inside 300 you can ajust the power and still use the 200 crosshair for most engagements. For static use turn the scope up to 10x and you have the full use of the reticle. After working with this some more I should be able to dope the hold overs for lower powers to see how they work. The reticle also provides for wind holds.

For the long version of the ideals behind this set up you can read my long winded write up on the Designated Marksman here:

http://pro-patria.us/designated_marksman
    Last edited by DMR; 10-09-09 at 09:36. Reason: added weight
    pro-patria.us

Feedback Score
    31 (100%)
    That is one sweet rifle! Congrats on the build, very impressive component list. I keep toying with the idea of building a DMR or SPR bud already have a 24" AR that can do sub-moa so I would just be looking at a little less weight and a loss of 6 inches. Honestly, how many guys can lose 6 inches and still be happy?