Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lessons Learned In Combat

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    My son Jeff took his oath this summer, joined the delayed entry program, and goes to USMC boot camp in June. He has read everything you've written here and will continue to. He is taking this VERY seriously.

I hope it's OK for a Marine dad to say Semper Fi. If not, well Semper Fi anyway!

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Paul I do agree that the current training (or at least when I did it) isn't all that great for work ups for deployments. Good to see that your still pulling triggers. Take care and Semper Fi
    "There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion." — Gen. William Thornson, U.S. Army

Feedback Score
    This is a great thread and I'd like to add my two cents. Formerly I was a platoon commander in a weapons platoon in the Marine Corps. They were all very good Marines and they had just come back from an Afghanistan deployment, as had I, albeit with a different unit. Over the months I started to notice some strange tactics that weren't really standard, and when I'd ask my Marines about them they'd just say that it worked in Afghanistan. Now this is a very dangerous line of logic.

I've seen loads of stupidity in country and dudes didn't get killed, but that was sheer luck. So I encourage everyone to think critically about something they are doing. Just because it worked once for someone doesn't mean it is right for you or your current situation. A perfect example of this is stacking on doorways. This works great in my current job as a police officer, but will get you killed in a war zone. You generally have a secure perimeter here in the US, but in country you don't and people will always shoot big groups of enemy.

So I always advise to listen to those with experience and training, but think critically if it really is right for you because ultimately you are responsible for your own actions.
    Crossfit Level 1 Coach, Former Marine Officer, Current Police Officer

Owner of Tier Three Tactical

Feedback Score
    The one thing that I learned in combat is that a wounded man can kill you.
    "Its The Skill Set Of The Person Behind The Weapon"

Feedback Score
    Thank you for sharing your story brother.

I hope, and believe, you've saved a good number of lives if only a few readers heed your advice!

Semper Fidelis!

Feedback Score
    Paul, thank you for sharing your experience. As a LE officer I will certainly take this back to my PD and my team for the guys to read. Several lessons here that I think we can all take learn from . Thanks for your service from one vet to another

Feedback Score
    Thank you for posting RetreatHell. I'm going to print it off and hang it in the squad room for our road patrol guys to read. Hopefully it will make a couple of them think.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    To OP RetreatHell,

Thank you for sharing your experience and knowledge, and thank you for your service to our country. From the bottom of my heart.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    RetreatHell,
    God bless the heroes. Having lost friends in the sandbox brings home the reality that what is fun and enjoyable on the range is actually deadly serious. Thank you for your sacrifice and your candid assessment of your own missteps. I plan to forward this to others. Thank you and Godspeed.
    US Army Military Police 97-03
    Federal LEO/M.R.T. 05-Present
    NRA Life Member

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter."
    -E. Hemingway

"I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, then questions the manner in which I provide it."
    -Jack Nicholson (A Few Good Men, 1992)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AJE View Post
    Thank you for posting RetreatHell. I'm going to print it off and hang it in the squad room for our road patrol guys to read. Hopefully it will make a couple of them think.
    Need this at our training dept as well!

Great Job RetreatHell!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast