Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Bolt failures

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Heavy Metal View Post
    By keeping it indexed, you are allowing the surfaces to 'mate' with the slot in the bolt carrier.
    wouldnt mating parts allow for more play? play is half the recipe for bolt hole breakage

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    It should let them take a set and then wear at a reduced rate. If you keep reversing it, then it can never do this.
    My brother saw Deliverance and bought a Bow. I saw Deliverance and bought an AR-15.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Heavy Metal View Post
    It should let them take a set and then wear at a reduced rate. If you keep reversing it, then it can never do this.

I see (said the blind man as he picked up his and saw). Allow me to ask two more obscure questions:

1. Is the hardness of the cam pin consistent across it's cross section, or is it it surface-hardened?

2. What are the critieria/ wear tolerances used to determine when a cam pin should be replaced (this may have been answered earlier)?

Feedback Score
    hardness would depend on the process the manufacturer used but i would suspect that it would surfaced hardened only to avoid the part being too brittle.

iirc the lwrc cam pin was made of pre-hard steel, not sure what but these were originally subcontracted components.

one of the benefits of indexing the pin is a much smoother unlocking. wear on the part should be too great and i have never seen one worn out but i have seen a broken one.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by KYPD View Post
    I see (said the blind man as he picked up his and saw). Allow me to ask two more obscure questions:

1. Is the hardness of the cam pin consistent across it's cross section, or is it it surface-hardened?

2. What are the critieria/ wear tolerances used to determine when a cam pin should be replaced (this may have been answered earlier)?
    You will have to call LWRC for info. All I can tell you is I have one with around 9K rounds on it and it is in great shape!
    My brother saw Deliverance and bought a Bow. I saw Deliverance and bought an AR-15.

Feedback Score
    247 (100%)
    I recently sent an LWRC upper receiver back, and old upper receiver, since one of the screws that held the gas tube on the Bolt Carrier sherred off(yes I know it looks like a gas tube but it is solid and that is what the piston rams against, pushing the BCG back)

I thought it kinda weird but I wanted to simply buy a new BCG to have as a spare and simply send the broken one in for repair. They were not doing that yet, that is selling BCG parts, but said they should be doing that soon (about now.)

That said, my upper reciever came back and I almost could swear it was brand new. Barrel looked great - different gas block for sure and one hell of a great looking BCG - I mean this was different and impressive. Especially impressive at no cost to me and all for a sheared screw. I know some folk rag on them but I find their Customer Support awesome and they do stand behind their product.
    Glocks are functional tools and nothing else, hence they have no soul - Rob S.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Blankwaffe View Post
    Anyone seen a Failzero cam pin up close and personal with an acceptable round count on it?
    Was wondering if their coating held better than the hard chrome as advertised.
    Blankwaffe, I'm the gunsmith at FZ. an EXO coated cam pin will not wear like a painted or phos coated part. the coating is nodular structured and will not flake off. instead when mated with an EXO coated carrier, it shows very limited wear. you can see a burnished mark where it makes contact, but even impact does not separate it from the part. we have been an OEM part coating for LWRC rifles since Jan of this year.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragon 2 Zero View Post
    Ya know what else I have noticed on my Carbine? ...(get ready for a Master Of The Obvious type statement...) The firing pin retaining pin gets positively Beat To Shit when I run Green Tips through it. I hate it when that happens...
    Is this because its a cotter pin type retainer???

I used the KNS perma pin to hopefully negate it getting "beat to sheet"...I was informed that they are closer to the original Stoner design than the cooter pin that is normally used...
    "Everyone has been given a gift in life. Some people have a gift for science and some have a flair for art. And warriors have been given the gift of aggression. They would no more misuse this gift than a doctor would misuse his healing arts, but they yearn for the opportunity to use their gift to help others. These people, the ones who have been blessed with the gift of aggression and a love for others, are our sheepdogs. These are our warrior"

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by scrambler View Post
    Blankwaffe, I'm the gunsmith at FZ. an EXO coated cam pin will not wear like a painted or phos coated part. the coating is nodular structured and will not flake off. instead when mated with an EXO coated carrier, it shows very limited wear. you can see a burnished mark where it makes contact, but even impact does not separate it from the part. we have been an OEM part coating for LWRC rifles since Jan of this year.
    Thanks again for the info scrambler.
    Ive been eye balling the Failzero BCG for a couple months now...guess I need to get off the wallet and get one to see for myself instead of asking stupid questions all the time.

Are the cam pins and other individual EXO coated parts available as replacements/spares as well?
    Last edited by Blankwaffe; 09-15-09 at 20:42. Reason: ETA
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Armed Protective Services II

Feedback Score
    That's interesting. Given these statistics it is surprising the market isn't glutted with reinforced bolts like the LMT SOPMOD bolt which is thicker at the cam pin hole.

Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast