Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adams Arms Gas Piston weight?

Feedback Score

Adams Arms Gas Piston weight?

Does anybody here know how much weight the Adams Arms gas piston system adds on to a rifle? Or how much all the parts weigh? I've been searching but couldn't find anything about this. Thanks.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I think it is negligible.
    I run AA piston uppers and they are right on par with weight.

The gas block has to be roughly the same weight if not lighter than a standard one because it runs the piston through it which is much larger than the gas tube.

The piston itself is very light. It's probably double the weight of a gas tube but the standard gas tube weighs nothing.

The BCG is probably right around the same weight because the dimensions are almost the same.

I think if you are looking for weight savings you would find it in the handguard (the lightest I've seem is the Troy TRX Extreme), by contouring the barrel and with a lighter optic (T1 Micro).

I have an AA upper with barrel cut down to 14.6 with the Troy TRX and T-1. It is very light and maneuverable however once I put on a Magpul AFG and light, it gets very muzzle heavy.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Why are you going to waste your money on gas piston conversion kit?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Underwhere View Post
    I think it is negligible.
    I run AA piston uppers and they are right on par with weight.

The gas block has to be roughly the same weight if not lighter than a standard one because it runs the piston through it which is much larger than the gas tube.

The piston itself is very light. It's probably double the weight of a gas tube but the standard gas tube weighs nothing.
    Thanks for the information, it was very helpful.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post
    Why are you going to waste your money on gas piston conversion kit?
    Because I want to try something different. Don't worry, I'll go back to DI when the DDM4 v7 comes out.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Ive got a Carbine-length AA system laying around. Unless you're as physically-fit as my 100 lbs. girlfriend, you arent going to notice the difference in weight. What you will notice is the absolute lack of decent handguards compatible with your gas block. The Samson Evolution is the best I've yet come across, but even with it youve still got to deal with a hot-as-shit gas block right where your thumb should be. This was the main reason, in my case, for abandoning my experiments with piston ARs. No modular, tubular rail systems.

Also, while its your money to waste how you will, fighting rifles are not meant to make you a different, individualized snowflake. If you want a gun to appreciate, get an M1A or something and go talk to the old fudds at the local range about its history. If you want an AR, make it practical. My apologies if Ive hurt your different feelings, but buying a gun solely because "its different" will earn you no friends here.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pax View Post
    Ive got a Carbine-length AA system laying around. Unless you're as physically-fit as my 100 lbs. girlfriend, you arent going to notice the difference in weight. What you will notice is the absolute lack of decent handguards compatible with your gas block. The Samson Evolution is the best I've yet come across, but even with it youve still got to deal with a hot-as-shit gas block right where your thumb should be. This was the main reason, in my case, for abandoning my experiments with piston ARs. No modular, tubular rail systems.

Also, while its your money to waste how you will, fighting rifles are not meant to make you a different, individualized snowflake. If you want a gun to appreciate, get an M1A or something and go talk to the old fudds at the local range about its history. If you want an AR, make it practical. My apologies if Ive hurt your different feelings, but buying a gun solely because "its different" will earn you no friends here.
    I haven't had any issues with heat around my thumb or fingers and I have a pretty forward reach...enough to get gas all over my left hand.

If concerned about weight, the lightest free float I could find is the Troy TRX Extreme and it happens to work just fine with the AA piston systems.
    I had a Daniel Defense lite rail but it was heavier than the Troy TRX so I sold it.
    Adams Arms has a list of rails that will work but I've found that their list is not comprehensive and that many more will fit than they have listed. They do not list the Troy TRX.

The 3rd rifle down has the VTAC TRX Extreme. That rifle is very front-end light and it is so easy to move around. I often contemplate removing the AFG from the top rifle just to get that lightweight feeling. I don't have a scale that is resolute enough to measure my rifles but they seem lighter than most others that I have access to (LWRC piston upper, Stag upper with MI free float rail). I believe this is purely due to the weight of the rail. AA's ship with a few different rails. I think Samson is one of them. It is pretty heavy so I opted to buy the base upper and put my own float tube on it.

Shown here are:
    Troy TRX Extreme
    VTAC TRX Extreme
    Troy TRX quad rail

Last edited by Underwhere; 07-13-11 at 11:13.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I haven't had any issues with heat around my thumb or fingers and I have a pretty forward reach...enough to get gas all over my left hand.

If concerned about weight, the lightest free float I could find is the Troy TRX Extreme and it happens to work just fine with the AA piston systems.
    I had a Daniel Defense lite rail but it was heavier than the Troy TRX so I sold it.
    Adams Arms has a list of rails that will work but I've found that their list is not comprehensive and that many more will fit than they have listed. They do not list the Troy TRX.

The 3rd rifle down has the VTAC TRX Extreme. That rifle is very front-end light and it is so easy to move around. I often contemplate removing the AFG from the top rifle just to get that lightweight feeling. I don't have a scale that is resolute enough to measure my rifles but they seem lighter than most others that I have access to (LWRC piston upper, Stag upper with MI free float rail). I believe this is purely due to the weight of the rail. AA's ship with a few different rails. I think Samson is one of them. It is pretty heavy so I opted to buy the base upper and put my own float tube on it.

Shown here are:
    Troy TRX Extreme
    VTAC TRX Extreme
    Troy TRX quad rail

I dont think it's a good idea to run that MBUS on the gasblock. It will start melting from the heat relatively quick.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve S. View Post
    I dont think it's a good idea to run that MBUS on the gasblock. It will start melting from the heat relatively quick.
    I had hoped to run them on the end of the rail but the Troy free floats don't always line up exactly with the gas block and there is some flex in them if you put a significant amount of weight. I didn't want my front sight moving so i just threw them on the gas block for the moment.

The bottom 3 rifles are brand new and I haven't put around through them yet. Still trying to finish them up with BUIS and optics.

They're currently for sale and I'm looking for 2 more sets of Troy's to run on the block itself.

You know the game though. As you build you find other stuff you'd like to add. I think I may be getting some Geissele S2S's for these.
    Last edited by Underwhere; 07-13-11 at 13:07.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I had hoped to run them on the end of the rail but the Troy free floats don't always line up exactly with the gas block and there is some flex in them if you put a significant amount of weight. I didn't want my front sight moving so i just threw them on the gas block for the moment.

The bottom 3 rifles are brand new and I haven't put around through them yet. Still trying to finish them up with BUIS and optics.

They're currently for sale and I'm looking for 2 more sets of Troy's to run on the block itself.

You know the game though. As you build you find other stuff you'd like to add. I think I may be getting some Geissele S2S's for these.
    Amen to that, brother. If you ever decide to part with the VTAC handguard - or MBUS even - shoot me an email. If the price is right - I'd take them off your hands.

You know what's up then. Just thought I'd put it out there so you didn't end up with an expensive FDE piece of melted plastic on the gasblock.

Stay safe, bro.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast