Thread: Can the 6940 gas block be replaced with a standard FSB?

Feedback Score

Can the 6940 gas block be replaced with a standard FSB?

Pretty straight forward question.

Can a standard FSB be fitted to a Colt 6940.

More complicated question, can a Colt 6520 barrel and FSB be fitted to a Colt 6940...

This basically...
    Kein Mitleid Für Die Mehrheit
    What Happened to the American dream? It came true. You're looking at it.

Feedback Score
    I would think so but SAW could tell you for sure http://www.specializedarmament.com/p..._services.html

Feedback Score
    Barrels and FSB is aligned, drilled and pinned. They are pretty much said to be that one goes specifically with the other. Due to variances you may however be able to get a good fitment / alignment from say other drilled FSB with same hole sizing. I will say that I have fit another Colt FSB on a different drilled Colt barrel and the fit / alignment was good. But this isn't a guarantee, especially if using others parts. I am not 100%, maybe I can pull out my 6940 but I would think that the taper pin hole placement is the same spacing on the 6940's and 6920's. So having said all of the above, I think you can get an idea where I am going here. Short answer Maybe.

Now you could opt for a different type of gas block set up but that wouldn't be as ideal as the pinned version. You might also get someone to fill the holes, jig it and drill it new. Not sure if ADCO does something like this, or how it might affect the barrel. But now I am really thinking outside of the box.

For changing to a different barrel, well that wouldn't be easy. The 6940 has a proprietary nut and more importantly barrel extension, so simply swapping barrels to a standard AR/M4 is not going to be easy. If you can get a 6940 extension and then whatever barrel you chose I think you would be in luck, but that would take some effort for a DIY'er. I am sure Ken at Specialized Armament could get the extension and he can easily do the work, but he isn't exactly economical.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by variablebinary View Post
    Pretty straight forward question.

Can a standard FSB be fitted to a Colt 6940.

More complicated question, can a Colt 6520 barrel and FSB be fitted to a Colt 6940...

This basically...
    This thread may help answer a few questions.

Feedback Score
    ADCO does it.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

--"Fight back! Whenever you are offered violence, fight back! The aggressor does not fear the law, so he must be taught to fear you. Whatever the risk, and at whatever the cost, fight back!"-- Jeff Cooper

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    replacing the FSB is a real PITA but can be done.
    AFAIK, the barrel cant be replaced but you could have it reprofiled.
    *** Damn Proud to Be an American Ally ! ***

The Armory:
    Colt 6601 - Colt 6731 - Colt 613 - Steyr StG.58 - M1 Carbine - Galil SAR - CZ Scorpion EVO - Franchi PA8 - Glock 17 - Pietta/Colt SAA 1873 - SA 1911A1 Mil Spec - Ruger LCP

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeahe View Post
    ADCO does it.
    my shooting buddy sent his 6940 to adco and had this done,,, waste of money was my opinion,, but his dime.

Feedback Score
    Shouldn't be a problem for most true smiths to fit an FSB to the barrel, the problem would be in removing the barrel from the upper to do so.

Since the upper is proprietary you can't fit a standard barrel to it.

Why not just sell the complete upper and buy the one you want?
    Last edited by Tweak; 07-15-11 at 23:42.