Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: IDPA

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score

IDPA

I searched and came up with alot of threads but they were either about targets or random posts.

Just wondering how many people are involved, what calibers and mag capacities you use, what holsters you use?

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    In my *very limited* experience with IDPA I simply swapped magazines from my carry ammo to my range ammo. Most other guys I saw there took their guns out of a box and put them away when they were done. I simply showed up and left exactly the same way - carrying.

I carry and shoot a Glock 19 in training coursework and for IDPA. I carry one spare magazine (like I always do) and I use a Raven Concealment holster set up for IWB (soft loops) and I use either a Custom Carry Concepts or a Ready Tactical kydex emergency reload pouch.

ToddG Guest
    Now that I CCW with an AIWB holster, I don't shoot IDPA because they don't allow appendix carry. Prior to that, I've shot IDPA with a variety of Beretta, Glock, Smith & Wesson, and SIG pistols. Holsters were always IWB behind the strong side hip, either leather or kydex.

Magazine capacity is dictated by your Division and unless your mags won't hold enough rounds, you cannot opt to load more *or* less. SSP & ESP are 10rd, CDP is 8rd.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I am with katar. I find the discussions of "what holster for IDPA" to be counter to the intent of the game, and certainly to what I hope to get from it. I show up at the range with my carry gun on me, change the mags out in my pouches and gun, add a pouch to my belt for admin stuff, and shoot the match.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    I am with katar. I find the discussions of "what holster for IDPA" to be counter to the intent of the game, and certainly to what I hope to get from it. I show up at the range with my carry gun on me, change the mags out in my pouches and gun, add a pouch to my belt for admin stuff, and shoot the match.
    The only DQ I've ever received was for showing up at an IDPA match with a holstered loaded concealed carry gun.....go figure. This was at a state of the art multi million dollar political lobbyist range headquarted in NoVA where concealed carry is allowed/permitted except for match days as I found out. 1st rule of the gunfight is to have a loaded gun right?

When I shot IPDA I used a Blade Tech or DeSantis belt holster with either a Glock 17, 31 or 34. I still considered it a game but many of the participants didn't. One of these years I'll shoot a classifier to make my goal of being Master. I think now that I shoot a M&P Pro and a M&P45 and have had the grips textured I have to shoot in ESP and CDP division because texturing isn't allowed but grip tape is for SSP........another weird rule.
    Last edited by Robb Jensen; 08-22-09 at 11:30.
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

ToddG Guest
    Most IDPA matches are run cold. All major sanctioned matches must be run cold. Therefore, showing up with a loaded gun is often cause for DQ. I don't like the rule, but it is a rule.

Some people shoot IDPA for its practice value, others shoot it 100% as a competition to win. Both groups get something out of it. While I always fall into the first category, I do understand the pure competitors. IDPA is, after all, a game. It has a score, and it has winners. It's like a marathon. Some runners show up just to say they finished, some show up to finish first.

Something to keep in mind if you're just starting in the sport: If you are there for the practice/practical value, then don't worry about the competitors. If you don't care about your score, then you shouldn't care about their scores, either. If you do care about the fact that you're getting your ass handed to you by the competitive-minded guys, then you need to reassess whether you're really as purely tactical as you want others to believe.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gotm4 View Post
    I think now that I shoot a M&P Pro and a M&P45 and have had the grips textured I have to shoot in ESP and CDP division because texturing isn't allowed but grip tape is for SSP........another weird rule.
    As long as you only have the removable grip panel textured, you're still good to go in SSP. It's when you texture the frame that you get pushed into ESP/CDP.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by perna View Post
    I searched and came up with alot of threads but they were either about targets or random posts.

Just wondering how many people are involved, what calibers and mag capacities you use, what holsters you use?
    I shoot IDPA regularly to semi regularly, depending on how busy I am, etc. I shoot CDP, which is 1911 in 45ACP using a Comptac belt slide holster.

Here's my vid from last years state championships:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zndot...e=channel_page
    Last edited by WillBrink; 08-23-09 at 17:03.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by perna View Post
    I am involved since about a year ago.

I mostly shoot a S&W Model 64 (.38 Special) in Stock Service Revolver. I switch between a O'Rourke revolver pancacke OWB or a Lobo Gunleather IWB holster. IWB conceals better and is more comfortable. OWB is easier to draw from.

I use Safariland Comp II speedloaders and leather speedloader pouches from Simply Rugged Holsters that hold the loader straddling the belt. With my wheelgun I always wear a dual layer bullhide belt from The Beltman.

I am beginning to dabble more with my M&P9. I also have an O'Rourke OWB pancake for it and a Hidden Defense IWB from Kirkpatrick Gunleather. I carry two magazines in whatever mag pouches I can find. One is a kydex pouch from Comp-Tac, the other is a leather pouch from Don Hume.

If I wear my M&P IWB, I wear my leather belt. If I wear it in an OWB pancake, I hang it from a Wilderness five-stitch Instructor belt.

You don't need high speed/low drag gear for this. In fact, I compete with the exact same gear and guns I use to carry on the street.
    Last edited by Alpha Sierra; 08-23-09 at 22:56.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the responses.

The reason I ask is because I do not own a handgun, I was shopping for one and heard some guys talking about IDPA, so I googled it when I got home. It looks like it would be fun, and I dont want to buy anything I cant use. The gun I was originally looking at doesnt seem like it will work for IDPA.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast