Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Great basic Marksmanship training

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MarshallDodge View Post
    My boys and I need to head out to one of these.

For those that think it is "below them", that is fine, but remember that it's just training and you will probably learn a few things from it.

I think the biggest positive is that it get's the untrained out of the house and shooting at a reasonable price.
    AMEN!!! by the way, I'm not affiliated with Appleseed in any way... just a happy one timer.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dbrowne1 View Post
    I've been to a bunch of the high speed multi-day classes and I still took away some valuable things from the Appleseed shoot.
    I'm an Appleseed instructor and I usually manage to learn something at every shoot. I also teach Firearms Safety for the DNR, and opnce upon a time was a certified NRA instructor. They're all good programs! They just have different goals so you really can't compare them!

Feedback Score

with no intention of starting a flame war here...

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

As the Montana State Coordinator for Appleseed (MT@appleseedinfo.org), I want to jump in here and make a couple comments. This is not intended to start a flame war.

Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    That's not too big of an issue.

That doesn't sound too useful for someone already reasonably proficient at 3 and 4 hundred yards.
    Montana is chock full of "great white hunters" as are many states. We are also (said with tongue firmly planted in cheek) have the single largest population of "Marine snipers in Vietnam" of any state...I am fairly certain of that. Yet when I or any other Appleseeder invites them to a shoot low and behold if they are not human after all.

All I am trying to say is this...Slinging up and shouldering a battle rifle no matter what caliber and shooting at distance is MUCH different that running a carbine in MOUT or CQB.

"reason that we shot 25 meters with reduced targets is so that you don't have a huge amount of time eaten up with walking 100 plus meters after each round. You get to practice after you've been coached. AND definitely there IS COACHING GOING ON! Its not rag tag either. The instructors made the rounds and sometimes even joined me in the prone position to watch for flinches and such.
    I have to totally agree

"For the guy who is "reasonably" proficient at 3-400 meters, I wasn't even close before taking this class, when I left, 9 out of 10 shots at 400. And I know that I'll be able to repeat this at any time because the teach the basics and I'll keep practicing too. And if the zombies come at me, I'll be happy to pick them off at 400, 300 and 200 meters. But if they get to 25 meters, I reckon I can shoot them there too... "<--nothing truer ever said

"While we shot .22lr, there was someone shooting an SKS, AR's are welcome and I wish I had brought mine just to put a few rounds down range. But after shooting 600 plus rounds myself, .223 would have priced me out of the weekend. (I don't have a mega budget like some of you guys! ) "<--True again

"Its a volunteer program, its low budget price wise but first rate instruction and the people were some of the nicest folks on the planet." <-- Spot on

Our process of using one target that has representations of a standard MOA target at different distances and then using a rifle (Ruger 10/22 is most popular, Garand being second, M1a being third) to work on core basic skills (NPOA, NPOI, 6 steps to firing a shot, follow through, subtending the front sight, calling your shot, etc ad nauseum) to be a better shot at distance

"As far as NRA Instructor quals, that's entirely different from Coaching quals. Instructor means you can sign off on a Boy Scout merit badge, LOL." <--If you look at our Instructor In Training/ Instructor program compared to NRA, we have more Instructor to shooter ratio than just about any other program.

MANY of our Instructors travel around the Country on their own dime many times to get to shoots and get knowledge dumps to shooters.

Our safety program is second to none. We have Line Safety Officers sprinkled amongst the shooters and Range Safety Officers at each end of the firing line PLUS in our safety briefing we tell teh shooters that ALL shooters on the line are safety officers because the can make sure they are being safe

"For those that think it is "below them", that is fine, but remember that it's just training and you will probably learn a few things from it.

I think the biggest positive is that it get's the untrained out of the house and shooting at a reasonable price. " <-- could not have said it better myself

"the appleseed's purpose is to teach traditional BRM... long shots with irons. that's traditionally how Americans have trained, and it's worked really well for us in the past. i'm sure you've read just as many accounts of American infantrymen picking off targets at extended ranges, thereby keeping the enemy from even getting within their own effective range, as i have. just because our current military operations don't call for extended open sight shooting doesn't mean it isn't a valuable skill to have." <-- Absolutely correct

In an Appleseed shoot we do high round count shooting AND we through in history lessons about the days leading up to the beginning of the revolutionary war and the opening days of the same.

We are NOT militia, we are NOT anti government, we are NOT subversive, we are NOT right wing fanatics.

We are Shooting coaches, history teachers, mentors, educators...most importantly we are AMERICANS

For more information about Appleseed in your state, contact your Appleseed Coordinator at State initials @Appleseedinfo.org. OR contact me at my email ( mt@appleseedinfo.org) and I will get you in contact with the right people for your state.

Glocker21 sends

Feedback Score
    THAT'S the information I was looking for, many thanks.

Feedback Score

Carbines and Appleseeds

I attended an Appleseed before I deployed on the recommendation of a good fred of mine. He is US Army Sniper qualified and an avid Appleseed instructor. No, it wasn't a Carbine course. No, it wasn't "modern" techniques. It was straight up, uncool, 25 meter iron sight shooting. I told to myself this will be a nice easy weekend of shooting to mearly get used to my new Leupold scope on the LT mount before I deploy with it. I can shoot "expert" every time at 25 meters. no big deal.
    Yep, I was wrong. it is nice to get back to the basics with guys that are teaching the basics. They are watching for NPOA and flinching. "Dragging wood" was my favorite. First time I heard it I thought "what a moron, there's no wood on this here AR"
    It is pure BRM. The fundamentals. and we all know CQB, CQD, SRM, whatever you wanna call it is ARM. Whats wrong with some basics. Ok, so they like Chicken wings and slings. If your skill set will suffer due to a chicken wing for a weekend, well, you need more practice.

Just for some food for thought, an Army SSG just trained a certain states National Guard Designated Marksmen using slightly modified Appleseed techniques. The DM's went from shooting Minute of Milk jug groups to a 90% hit rate at 600meters with M4's. No match ammo either.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Naxet1959 View Post
    AMEN!!! by the way, I'm not affiliated with Appleseed in any way... just a happy one timer.
    I've been to 3. Good inexpensive class, just what I needed to get started.
    "There is no David 14 on the computer."

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123