Thread: Steel target plans???

Feedback Score

Steel target plans???

I am down range in Afghanistan. Have a small team of advisors. I want to fabricate some steel targets for range training. Does nayone have any plans for a simple plate rack, dueling tree, plates and stands.

any help is apprciated. even some photos.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    If you do not have true target steel from a reputable source, I highly recommend against shooting it at closer than 100 meters.

Typos brought to you via Tapatalk and autocorrect.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    Edit:

Sorry, missed the part where you said you were "down range in Afghanistan"; ... then my recommendations of what to order from a store is probably not useful to you.
    Last edited by SurplusShooter; 12-05-12 at 15:15.

Feedback Score
    What can you scrounge for materials?

Rifle or pistol?

Choose flat steel.
    3/8" to 1/2" thick is preferred.
    Leaf springs from trucks, although not strictly flat, can be used to make solid targets BTW

Understand that if you have to torch cut your plates, even if they were armor quality to start with, the heat ruins the temper near the cut area.

You can hang steel plates from chains bolted to heavy wooden frames with the understanding that eventually the frame will need replacing.
    I've prototyped stuff out of wood to better learn what I need to order when it eventually is fabbed out of steel. I still used steel target faces but the structure was made from old pallet lumber.

Small individual plates can be hung from stands made from 1/2" rebar.
    Form a shepherds hook and weld a dogleg at the bottom. This helps you push it into the ground and keeps it from turning.

If the soil is too rocky, build a low angle tripod base (legs 2 ft long) instead of the dogleg.

Hang the plate by a couple of links of chain:

The plate hangs in front of the stand so the support doesn't redirect spatter.
    These react well when hit. They can be lined up to simulate a plate rack.

Feedback Score
    Duelling tree (pistol):

The plates I have are 5" diameter by 3/8" thick with a horizontal leg that could be as short as 6" and as long as 10"
    You want 2" of weld to join the target to the horizontal leg. This works well if the target disk has an appropriate flat sawn on it.
    The vertical leg is 4" long and joined at a right angle as shown.
    Use 5/8" diameter or heavier rod for the plates support leg or they won't last.
    The plate shown here has an inadequate amount of weld and is starting to crack at the plate/leg joint. When it comes apart it will be reworked to a 2" weld.

You'll need a heavy steel post for the stand. 1" sq will work. (1x3/4" shown)
    Pipe can be used to make the sockets that will be welded to the back of the post:

The sockets are 1" OD and slightly under 3/4"ID. The rod used for the plate leg should fit close but slide through easily.
    Mount the sockets so the top surface that the plate rotates on is square to the post.

You can see I've also added a spacer above each socket to keep the plates from swinging too far past square to the post.

The post should be welded to some sort of base so that the post leans toward the shooters.

I've found that 12-13° lean works quite well for my weight plates. You may need to adjust this slightly if your plates are heavier.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    If you do not have true target steel from a reputable source, I highly recommend against shooting it at closer than 100 meters.

Typos brought to you via Tapatalk and autocorrect.
    I would say he could use ANP cadets to test them, but you'd have to find one that can actually hit the target.

Feedback Score

steel

I have access to some steel plate that was part of an upgrade kit for a vehicle that got destroyed.
    I am well aware of the effects f M855 and other 556 /7.62 ammo has on mild steel plate.
    I appreciate the photos.
    I will cut the plate using a plasma cutter which will mitigate most issues with heat transfer from oxy/acetelyne torch and affecting the steel.
    small plates will most likely be used for 9mm
    hangers for 556.
    Wildcat, I appreciate your answering my request with some good info.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I don't have dimensions for speed racks but if you need E-types send me your AKO and I can send as an attachment.

Feedback Score

Feedback Score
    39 (100%)

to hang them

Used conveyor belt strips cut 6' x 2'-0" long w/ holes drilled into for hanging the steel plates works great. Just form a U shape and hang them over whatever horizontal support you rig up. Conveyor belt material is multi-layer material with rubber and some sort of nylon mat sandwiched in between layers of rubber. The strips will take a lot of abuse before they have to be replaced. They seem self healing.