Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Whats your Red Dot Zero? 25-50-100 yrds?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rmecapn View Post
    However, it did also indicate how practical the 50 yard zero is for the AR-15. It appears that with the 50 yard zero, according to your graph, you'll stay within +/- 2 inches from about 5 yards all the way out to 250 yards. That's an excellent battle sight zero.
    Exactly!

Last edited by Molon; 07-21-09 at 21:20.
    All that is necessary for trolls to flourish, is for good men to do nothing.

Feedback Score
    Another vote for the 50 yd zero, for all the given reasons. Just seems the most useful. Unless I'm shooting at something small, like critters, I don't even have to think about aiming high or low, because I will hit within 2 in of my dot.
    Colt SP6920, LE6920, 6720
    BCM Lower/ARP 6.8SPC upper for hog hunting
    DD M4V5 clone, Troy 5.56 Carbine, S&W M&P10
    PSA Lower/BCM LW 16" middie CHF upper
    PSA Lower/BCM LW 14.5" middie upper
    2 PSA 18"6.8 rifles, PSA 20" M16A4 clone
    Remington 870, Remington 700VTR
    SA XDm9, XDm9C, , XD9SC S&W 1911
    Ruger GP100, Hawkeye77 Compact 6.8SPC
    Kel-Tec KSG, Marlin 336 30-30, HK 45C, VP9
    Sig 1911 Tacops, Scorpion 1911, M11A1, P226 Mk25

Feedback Score
    I think DD had it right, for the OP set-up up high. 50 is where I am for primary optic, but this got me thinking.

Considering that we are talking about an opaque 4 MOA aim point, it seems to me a 33 or so yard zero would be best? With that zero, the 4moa dot would cover the impact point from about 50 yards to abut 400 yards. The bullet would skirt the top of the dot from about 50 yards to 200 and as it started to drop, it would be in the dot till about 400 yards, after which the bullet drops out of the dot faster than the dot gets bigger with distance.

Ballistic dots make my head hurt.
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    Track 1 is 33 Yards

Track 2 is 50 Yards

Same variables as before, out to 500 yards...

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    This thread is awesome. Sticky?

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Let me just say this- I think I'll put my RDS on 50. Thanks mucho!
    Great feedback, great forum. Off to the range.

Feedback Score
    looks like i'm gonna re-zero for 50 next time i hit the range. i think i've been converted.

thanks for the input, guys.
    Last edited by Parabellum9x19mm; 07-22-09 at 01:28.
    TUEBOR

Feedback Score

Old Dog and New Tricks

Never let be said that you can't teach an old dog a new trick.

I've been a confirmed 25 meter zero guy since I fired my first black rifle in 1978. For over 30 years, including 26+ in the Army, that's where I always had my zero.

No more, 50 yard zero as soon as I get home from this trip.

Unfortunately, my range doen't have a 50 yd. firing line, so I'll have to do the zero at either 25 or 100 yds. Still, with the graphs figuring out the dif in POA and POI will be pretty simple at either range.

I wish I'd seen these graphs decades ago.

Thanks,
    Mike

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SGM (ret.) View Post
    Never let be said that you can't teach an old dog a new trick.

I've been a confirmed 25 meter zero guy since I fired my first black rifle in 1978. For over 30 years, including 26+ in the Army, that's where I always had my zero.

No more, 50 yard zero as soon as I get home from this trip.

Unfortunately, my range doen't have a 50 yd. firing line, so I'll have to do the zero at either 25 or 100 yds. Still, with the graphs figuring out the dif in POA and POI will be pretty simple at either range.

I wish I'd seen these graphs decades ago.

Thanks,
    Mike
    Depending upon your particular sights, ammunition and barrel length, a point of impact that is 1.2" low at 25 yards or 1.5" high at 100 yards will get you real close to a 50 yard zero.
    All that is necessary for trolls to flourish, is for good men to do nothing.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    While I agree whole heartily that 50 yards is the ideal zero if your red dot sight is your primary optic, I do not think this is the answer for the OP.

My understanding from his post is that he is running an ACOG with a backup RDS, such as this:

In which case the height over bore of the optic dictates that all of the graphs presented in this thread are not applicable to his set-up.

I still stand by my original post that he should zero his RDS at 25 meters (or less) and even then he is going to have to become very familiar with the hold over and chin weld required to use an optic like this.

This is for the simple fact that his RDS is not his primary optic, it is an "Oh Shit - BOOM!" optic designed for engaging targets at extremely close CQB ranges.

That being said thanks to Derek and Molon for the graphs. They are very insightful and I have already used them to convert a few Army 25m zero die-hards here at my work.
    Last edited by decodeddiesel; 07-22-09 at 09:46.

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast