Quote Originally Posted by decodeddiesel View Post
While I agree whole heartily that 50 yards is the ideal zero if your red dot sight is your primary optic, I do not think this is the answer for the OP.

My understanding from his post is that he is running an ACOG with a backup RDS, such as this:

In which case the height over bore of the optic dictates that all of the graphs presented in this thread are not applicable to his set-up.

I still stand by my original post that he should zero his RDS at 25 meters (or less) and even then he is going to have to become very familiar with the hold over and chin weld required to use an optic like this.

This is for the simple fact that his RDS is not his primary optic, it is an "Oh Shit - BOOM!" optic designed for engaging targets at extremely close CQB ranges.

That being said thanks to Derek and Molon for the graphs. They are very insightful and I have already used them to convert a few Army 25m zero die-hards here at my work.
Deco, how does this change? I run this set-up on one of my rifles and have the red dot on for 25yards, and the cross hairs at 100 yards. I wanted to change the red dot for 50, for flatter shots regardless-out to 200 yards. I know the scope is intended for long shots and RDS for CQB, however, if a target (enemy or yote) is running at 100 yards, I may prefer the RDS for better periphery vision and quicker acquisition.

Isnt 50 yards the best deal there? I see the RDS on top as more than just CQB, I see it as FAST!

How does distance with "Sight over bore" effect zero. Zero is zero I'm a little cornfused.

pb