Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The Effects of Phoria When Using the ACOG as an Occluded-Eye Gunsight

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by dfsutton View Post
    I think this post has enlightened me to something that I have known about and have always had and could not put a name to.

While, I have never seen an opthamologist regarding this, I believe myself to have a very bad case of it. Because of this, shooting with two eyes open is difficult and shooting with an occluded front cap on a trijicon reflex is impossible for me. At 10 feet I noticed a POA shift of feet on the target. Not good.
    You would be better off seeing a good optometrist for this. General ophthalmology doesn't really specialize in binocular vision disorders.
    Last edited by uwe1; 02-06-11 at 22:10.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Muddyboots View Post
    When I pop up my Troy rear buis and flip to the small app. my little spider obligingly pulls his legs in and I have a round 2moa dot.
    Muddyboots
    Sorry for resurrecting this thread, but I wanted to clear this one point up.

When you use the small aperture to view the dot, you are increasing the depth of focus which allows you to see a greater range of things in focus. The smaller aperture reduces the effects of your astigmatism.

Search how decreasing the aperture size on a camera helps with this in photography.

Feedback Score
    I have noticed while experimenting with my ACOG as an OEG is that if your eyes focus on the reticle it will drift off of the target. However if I focus on the target with the other eye, the reticle will remain lined up with the target.

I need to try this at the range using duct tape or some other means of obscuring the objective, but there appear to be ways to trick your mind into minimizing the effects of phoria.

Feedback Score
    29 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GreyOps View Post
    To back this up, we would cover the front lens with tape. Again, to familiarize shooters with the bindon aiming concept and force them to shoot with both eyes open. I have used a covered front lens to reduce the time to acquire a target but only at 10yds and in.
    This is how I shoot my ACOG 90% of the time. It works for really close in, but I offset by distance to the target. Right lung for 10-15 yards, right armpit for 15-20 yards, right shoulder for 25 yards. After that, it is just a split second to flip the cap down and then you are getting solid hits again. I am slightly excited about getting another RDS for my other carbine though. It is a light weight suppressor host and the H-1 would sit perfectly on top of it.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123