Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: Suppressed SBR for home/property defense??

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    i'm sure this has been said and i didnt read all the way through this thread and am by far any type of expert. that said there is a sbr with suppressor on my short list for home defense. why you say? well short so i can move around my house better and suppressor so i dont go deaf in that confined area that i need the short barrel to navigate in.
    "Unfortunately 87.26% of the quotes and statistics on the internet are lies." - Abraham Lincoln
    Stupid should hurt
    I carry a gun cuz cops are too heavy!

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by oef24 View Post
    Wouldn't you have to notify BATFE that it is not in your possession at the moment?
    I doubt I would do this unless for some reason there were issues with getting my shit back. Generally nothing good comes from involving the feds.

Wouldn't they find out and consider the SBR contraband and take over possession once the investigation/case is closed?
    I can't see this being a realistic scenario at all.
    Last edited by markm; 08-15-09 at 09:11.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Maybe some of you could shed some light on this for me regarding an SBR for HD. I have spoken to a few people (some attorneys) and some have explained to me that once an NFA item (SBR in this case) is out of your possession without proper forms being filed, it is considered contraband and probably will not make it back to you. If anyone used a legally obtained SBR to defend their life and their family in a HD scenario, it will be taken from you by the local PD for sure. Wouldn't you have to notify BATFE that it is not in your possession at the moment? Wouldn't they find out and consider the SBR contraband and take over possession once the investigation/case is closed?
    So what if all of that happened? I'm staying out of the original topic of this thread, but all this "they might take my shit" hand-wringing is pathetic.

If you think that a suppressed 10.5" M16 is the best tool to use for defending your family, then use that tool.
    Last edited by rob_s; 08-15-09 at 10:40.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Maybe some of you could shed some light on this for me regarding an SBR for HD. I have spoken to a few people (some attorneys) and some have explained to me that once an NFA item (SBR in this case) is out of your possession without proper forms being filed, it is considered contraband and probably will not make it back to you. If anyone used a legally obtained SBR to defend their life and their family in a HD scenario, it will be taken from you by the local PD for sure. Wouldn't you have to notify BATFE that it is not in your possession at the moment? Wouldn't they find out and consider the SBR contraband and take over possession once the investigation/case is closed?
    If that is truly the way it works and you and your loved ones are ok, it is money well spent.
    No, they wouldnt consider it contraband. The gun would be returned to you once the case was resolved (if the shooting was ruled justified).

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I agree with you Rob 100%. Use the best tool available to defend yourself and your loved ones.

NCPatrolAR, thanks for your input.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I see no reason to run a suppressor for HD.. If I do have to use my AR to defend myself and my family, the last thing I'm worrying about is the loud noise. It would be a once in a life time moment and everyone 's hearing would survive just fine.

Some would say the DA might not be thrilled, but a righteous shoot is just that. The fact that you win the day to argue that point in court is enough for me, vs the opposite outcome..

Just my $.02

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Maybe some of you could shed some light on this for me regarding an SBR for HD. I have spoken to a few people (some attorneys) and some have explained to me that once an NFA item (SBR in this case) is out of your possession without proper forms being filed, it is considered contraband and probably will not make it back to you. If anyone used a legally obtained SBR to defend their life and their family in a HD scenario, it will be taken from you by the local PD for sure.

This actually isn't as ridiculous an issue as one might think.

I did only a very quick look and I couldn't find any exception in the NFA for local LE taking NFA weapons/devices as evidence without doing a transfer. Maybe there's one there and I missed it. There is, however, a provision that requires you to report any lost or stolen NFA items to the ATF, including a description of the circumstances.

In the event that any of my NFA items were ever taken in such a scenario, I would report them as "stolen" by the officer or agency who took them and let the ATF decide what to do. Not my problem at that point.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterWilson View Post

What makes you so sure about that? He could have turned as you shot him, making it look like you shot him in the back. You could have shot him too well and suddenly you executed him. Or maybe he's the delinquent son of a police chief or someone else important and you're just going to be found in the wrong no matter what you do.

While you may think I'm grasping at straws, there's always a fair likelihood that despite being 110% justified in your actions, you will NOT be treated as such.

This changes once your justifiable homicide is brought up as manslaughter, attempted murder, or whatever else they try to hang your "vigilantism" on.
    My point was that you wouldn't be in FEDERAL court for a home defense shooting, unless you happen to live on federal property. I'm sure about that because I'm a practicing trial attorney who works in both systems. The sentencing enhancements you're referring to don't apply in state court, where you would be.

In addition, they don't even come in until you're actually convicted and at that point you're screwed anyway.

Feedback Score
    I think the only thing better than the SBR/suppressor combo would be an MP5SD 'cause that is one compact gun.

For those that are saying they would rather have the added velocity of a 16" gun than have the suppressed SBR, have you ever shot a carbine indoors w/o ear pro? It is not a fun experience, even with a full rifle length M16A4 it sucks.
    If enough rds are fired it can be dissorienting too. Now if you're like me and live in a non free state, you're stuck with no option.
    If I had the option, I would run a SBR/suppressor combo and maybe subsonic ammo( I saw maybe bc I know NOTHING about the stuff)

Shooting indoors unsuppressed if you have the option is not a good ideaIMO. Think multiple intruders, so you get BG#1 with your 16" and now your hearing is gone, you don't hear BG#2 coming from behind you etc.

I really see no advantage to shooting usuppressed in a HD situ.

And Grant that is one Sexy effin gun!
    Men acquire a particular quality by constantly acting a particular way. We become just by performing just actions, temperate by performing temperate actions, brave by performing brave actions-Aristotle

The wise man sees in the misfortune of others what he should avoid-Marcus Aurelius

For these things give thanks at nightfall:
    The day gone, a guttered torch,
    A sword tested, the troth of a maid,
    Ice crossed, ale drunk- Havamal

Feedback Score
    90 (97%)
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post
    Right you are. The county prosecutor is a customer/friend so I am most likely pretty safe (unless I do something really bad).

I have to wonder if the people that are going to use an AR for HD, have ANY clue what it will do to their hearing.

C4

I have a pretty good idea, as my 10.5in SBR is LOUD AS HELL. I had a dumbass attack last week at my home range (have 300yrd rifle and 50yr pistol range, at my home as I own 1500acres) and forgot to put my ear plugs in......last time I ever forget that as my ears are still ringing from the single round I fired
    JF Arms Company - Owner
    07/02 FFL/SOT

Sword & Shield Training Group - SSTG
    - Be the Sword & Shield for your community thru knowledge and skills.

----------------------
    EMT - Parkview DeKalb EMS

13 years of serving Northeast Indiana's citizens.
    ----------------------
    Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast