Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Blue Force Gear Vickers Combat Applications Sling - single point mod

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    If anyone has a good suggestion to ditch the carabeener for a better idea please let me know.
    Last edited by sapper36; 09-01-09 at 07:32.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Ditch the MOE Stock for a CTR and use the hole in the stock
    Kevin S. Boland
    Manager, Federal Sales
    FN America, LLC
    Office: 703.288.3500 x181 | Mobile: 407-451-4544 | Fax: 703.288.4505
    www.fnhusa.com

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sapper36 View Post
    If anyone has a good suggestion to ditch the carabeener for a better idea please let me know.
    I like you solution, as far as getting rid of the clip Tango Down has something that would work absolutely PERFECTLY for your step up its called the PR-4 sling mount
    http://www.militarymorons.com/weapons/ar.slings.html.

You need to go down the page a bit, it has a qd on the end and sides.
    Last edited by k_cheerangie; 09-01-09 at 14:35.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Interesting to see the evolution of your mod, Rob.

I noticed these pictures elsewhere and thought of your project. I use some Gear Sector products; the modularity of their attachment system presents some interesting options. Here's one that Mr. Trusty pointed out - very similar to what you're trying to accomplish. The Gear Sector two point (GS-2P) is similar to the VTAC in the sense that tightening the sling produces the same 'tail' of excess webbing. However, I understand that an improved GS-2P is on the way that captures the tail much like the Vickers VCAS. Might be an off the shelf solution without DIY mods.

Last edited by JSGlock34; 09-01-09 at 20:03.

Feedback Score
    Couple years ago, I started running my sling in this manner...

I have since gone to something like this....

The second set of pics is a different rifle with swapped furniture, so I am waiting on a QD endplate, where the sling will eventually attach. As for the ring attachment or front sling attachment, I just put my thumb behind the ring when snapping in the HK hook. FWIW, I still run my sling as a 2 point about 90% of the time.

Feedback Score
    Rob_s
    your sling seems almost perfect for me.
    I like the convertable slings.

my problems with the MS2
    narrow.
    snap shackle.
    hangs too low on my chest.
    weird uncomfortable(for me) adjustment.
    tends to rotate from the center of my chest to weapon side from the weight.

My problems with the emdom gunslinger sling:
    hangs too low on the chest.
    the floppy "D" ring.(a note on the "D" ring. its supposed to be positioned between the sling and your body. not facing outward like you might assume)although with the ring inside its easier to clip than if the ring is on the outside. its still problematic 1-in-ten times.

way to big for me(i had to take all the slack out of the fixed length adjustment and its still too big.) nothing more exercise wont fix though...or armor.

tends to rotate from the center of chest to weapon side from the weight.

having said all that....i want your sling. It fixes all the problems i have. except maybe rotating to the side from weight but i dont see how to solve that one.

great job....to the people here doing it themselves. nice work you all. thanks for the inspiration and ideas.

Steven

p.s.
    Rob_s
    sapper36

what do you not like about the ASAP plate?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Well, we got rained out last night so I didn't get to try my 1.5" ring version.

Couple of random thoughts as people post their own solutions...

One of my major goals here was simplicity. That means not a lot of extra buckles and widgets, no "free running ends", etc. Some of the slings out there on the market seem to be trying to do everything for every one, and I think that's a mistake. I find that "decent at everything" really means "sucks at everything". I wanted to avoid having plastic buckles at all if I could, limiting the number of attachment points, etc.

One of my other goals was to keep the tail as short as possible. My go-to single-point sling has always been the Wilderness version. It is what I call an "O"-style single-point. IMHO too many of the slings out today are what I call "P" and "Q" with these little tails that hang down. For me, personally, these types cause the sling to hang too low. Early on I thought of trying the ikickhippies receiver endplate and two HK hooks, but what I've found is that with a convertible sling you need at least a little bit of tail (unfortunately). So far the 2"+/- (tip to tip) tail seems to work best.

The setup also needed to be as quick as possible to switch back and forth. These types are never going to be mid-action changeovers, but I wanted it to be as fast as possible, and I think the HK hooks, fixed attachment points (front hard ring, rear inline ring) is about as fast as it's going to get.

Feedback Score
    I think we agree that no "one" sling set up will do it all. We can tailor the sling to fit what works for each of us, which is probably why I have a box full of them. Thank goodness for T&E gear. The drawback to the HK style snap hooks and even QD swivels is that they can be difficult to detach under a high stress situation, especially when gloves are involved, maybe even heavy gloves in a cold environment, or if we were to find ourselves without the use of one arm or perhaps limited use of only one arm / hand. We may find ourselves in a situation where a fast detach from our weapon with minimal effort is required, while trying to balance simplicity, durability and overall function. I find that a snap shackle or a buckle to be some of the easiest and fastest to manipulate with gloved hands, one hand, or off hand in a stress situation. I do like the idea of a non running tail on the adjustable side of things. Simplicity is a plus no doubt. Speed of transition from single to double is good, if your really gonna do such a thing in a real life situation, but it would be along the lines of a tac reload, where someone has your back so to speak. I also agree with the solid type of mount for the HK hook or similar. I am waiting on a rail set up for my work rifle and plan to use the MI front sling mount or similar. It does make it easier.

In any event we should to try and balance our gear with our own individual needs and find out what works for each of us. We should all try to spend as much time on the range validating our gear prior to its deployment, whether for military, LE, or home/personal defense.

It is good to see thinking dogs, so to speak.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I have a new KZ sling that cobverts from Two point to One point... Ill take some pics and get them posted as soon as i get a chance...

B
    MossieTactics.com ~ KMA 367

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Buck,
    Do you mean this sling, the KZ Convertible : http://www.botachtactical.com/kzs.html

How do you like the sling so far? Looks like a nice setup, even if its from "Botach".
    Last edited by Exporter; 09-30-09 at 01:17.

Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast