Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why Do You Build?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Why Do You Build?

Forget all the budget AR receivers and parts for this question. With the availability of almost any combo of options you could desire in the top tier ARs available like DD, BCM, LMT, and to a lesser degree to customize but a good base rifle in the Colt 6920, why do you choose to build?

Can you put a DD or BCM together cheaper than buying a factory upper and lower? Is it the "not currently available" of the top tier guns? The satisfaction of making your own from the parts of top makers? Nobody makes a rifle with the specs/options you want? Other?

I have two high quality rifles. Oe all LMT SBR and one LMT lower /BCM upper mid length 16". I could easily build a new upper and would actually enjoy it but the question still stands for me, why do you guys build your own instead of factory with warranty?
    Last edited by DWood; 08-15-11 at 09:08.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    It's easier to pick up the components a little at a time... financially.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    It's easier to pick up the components a little at a time... financially.

Ah yes, something I had thought of and forgot to list. Really, that may be one of the best answers I can see. Thanks.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I think most will tell you it's because they can get "exactly what they want", whether or not they know what it is that they want.

As an example, I was assembling a rifle for my fiance. Nobody was selling a complete gun with the exact parameters I wanted for her, and in some cases things like the CAR stock aren't available on new guns at all. The Noveske Thunder Ranch model is similar to what I was putting together for her but was still way more expensive than what I made with a DD barrel and Les Baer upper.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    If I remember that rifle you were trying to go very light?? What DD barrel did you end up using?
    Last edited by DWood; 08-15-11 at 09:49.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    14.5" lightweight carbine gas DD. the shorter gas tube weighs less and allows ms to use a shorter handguard and still cover the gas block.
    Last edited by rob_s; 08-15-11 at 10:03.

Feedback Score
    for me it was a combination of the availability of the features I wanted on a rifle to financial ability at the time. Also I really enjoyed assembling the entire rifle from parts from little things like roll pins and springs to barreling my upper, sure I had to deal with some trial and error but I think I came away with a better understanding and appreciation for the operation of this rifle, how different parts work in conjunction with each other to make this gun run. But it is addicting, now I'm in the process of building my next one. And no I dont think I can build a better rifle than BCM or DD etc. but it sure is nice to mix and match the components of the manufacturers that I do like.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    thanks

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DWood View Post
    Forget all the budget AR receivers and parts for this question. With the availability of almost any combo of options you could desire in the top tier ARs available like DD, BCM, LMT, and to a lesser degree to customize but a good base rifle in the Colt 6920, why do you choose to build?

Can you put a DD or BCM together cheaper than buying a factory upper and lower? Is it the "not currently available" of the top tier guns? The satisfaction of making your own from the parts of top makers? Nobody makes a rifle with the specs/options you want? Other?

I have two high quality rifles. Oe all LMT SBR and one LMT lower /BCM upper mid length 16". I could easily build a new upper and would actually enjoy it but the question still stands for me, why do you guys build your own instead of factory with warranty?
    The main reason is that I build a better gun than some guy making $12 an hour on an assembly line. My "give a shitter" is very high.

I can also cherry pick the best from each company.

C4

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Paying less taxes? Said jokingly but could impact someones decision.
    Pay tax on a $130 lower(not that I have anymore $130 lowers...), or tax on a $1800 rifle...

For me, it's the satisfaction of doing something myself
    an excuse to buy more tools,
    and getting the exact configuration I want.

As a plus, if I get a part I don't like or just doesn't work for me, having built said rifle, it's easier to change said part out to something that will work better.
    Last edited by kdcgrohl; 08-15-11 at 10:14.
    "A 'sporting purpose' is what we use to describe actions taken with a football." -S.W.A.T. Magazine

"...if you are cruising the ghetto looking for crack and tranny hookers and you shoot their transgender pimp for staring at you the wrong way, then yeah, you might have a problem." -Iraqgunz

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast