Thread: "That Guy" in EFR class

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    He weighs 300 pounds?!

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    I crossed paths with a guy like this about a year ago. He was a large man, very book smart, very annoying, and could not stop talking about his CPR certification. He was trying to get over to Iraq as a contractor/operator with CPR certification.

Is his first name Pat/Patrick by any chance????

ToddG Guest
    Derek -- There are only six people in the class due to attrition, etc. I don't blame the instructor for cutting class short. Many of the other students were clearly agitated and she had her own issues to deal with ... she was, after all, the person who was strapped down to the board Indiana was bleeding on.

We have four more days of class and I'm confident we'll cover everything we need to.

Glock-Fu -- Names are withheld to protect the innocent and/or stupid.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Do you know a pig farmer?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBvCPTK1MmY

Feedback Score
    Sounds like the guy needs some remedial instruction regarding bloodborne pathogens and universal precautions. He either doesn't understand as well as he believes, or he thinks the rules don't apply to him. Either one is unacceptable.

Someone probably needs to get into his face and tell him unequivocally that his behavior is unacceptable and that if he wants to continue, he needs to not only demonstrate that he understands the seriousness of potential contamination via blood. He also needs to confirm and demonstrate that he understands that yes, the rules do apply to him, and that he will adhere to the standard universal precaution procedures without exception.

I'd give him one and only one more chance.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    Derek...

We have four more days of class and I'm confident we'll cover everything we need to.
    Ahhh...that does help. Hopefully the pan out to be better days..

Feedback Score
    As an instructor I give them a little heart to heart about participation and standards of conduct in my class, after that I throw them out of the course.

As a student, even though I have been through some of the most advanced training the military medical establishment has to offer I still keep my mouth shut and participate in the class as if I don't know anything more than how to put on a band-aid.

It detracts from the learning of others and also makes some people less likely to take any further training.

Sounds like your instructor is not in control of their own class, too bad.

There will be a critique form for the course at the end, please fill it out and address any concerns you have. They are reviewed by the Chapter and National Offices to determine instructors fitness.

ToddG Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by FMF_Doc View Post
    Sounds like your instructor is not in control of their own class, too bad.
    I don't feel that way, nor do any of the other students from what I can tell. As an instructor myself, I can sympathize with her situation.

Unless you have a 1:1 teacher:student ratio, you can't watch every single person every single moment. That's why you make sure your students understand the safety guidelines and you empower them to take action if someone starts to violate safety protocols. That's what we do on a hot range, and that's what she did (though I'm sure she sees it in different terms) with this class.

She's not a drill sergeant and Indiana definitely isn't a boot. While I'd love to see her eject him (or make him run laps), it's not likely to happen so long as she feels he's salvageable.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    You could recommend that he take some shooting courses with Tactical Response.

(Bad Ed, Bad Ed)