Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sutures what's a good all around type?

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    If you don't know how to suture, don't. Basic wound management.

Feedback Score
    I would also ditto the comment about not suturing if you are not trained to. I also have to agree that knowing when not to suture is of primary importance.

For instance, most animal bites into the skin and subdermal fat should not be close with suture. Don't close wounds over 6 hrs old without very good surgical cleaning and probably debridement first. Never close a wound involving muscle in the field, period, end of story. Stay away from Gut for more reasons than I plan to discuss here. Don't get me wrong, it has it's uses.

I think the skin staplers are as technical a closure as most people should try. They work great, easy to use with little practice and with practice can be done quickly enough the anesthesia is not usually needed. I have seen them at REI.

Just so you know, I have been teaching advanced suture techniques and skin flaps to other physicians at medical conferences and to Med students and residents for 10 years. I know what I am talking about.

Feedback Score
    I suture people closed quite often, both in civilian practice and the army side of medicine.

And even though I carry sutures in my Aid Bag, I will almost never use them, especially in the field. It's too dirty and chaotic to try to tie the required knots and make sure that the wound stays clean.

In combat, however, I'll staple you shut until you can get back to the CSH and the surgeons can do a good cleaning. But even then, still in very limited situations.

If I were you, I'd invest in some good bandaging stuff that won't come off with use. Kerlix, 4x4's, Coban, and ACE wraps come to mind.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jakeb View Post
    Hey All,

I'm putting together a kit for when we go camping and wanted to put in a few suture kits.

What's an all around good type and size to work with? For general lacerations?

Also what's a good type/size for finer work? Like smaller cuts or places that would scar easier?

Thanks,

Jake
    If you're asking this bro, you may not try and do it. Jus sayn
    This line is useless and only takes up space. Im suppose to insert something here to validate my post on this site and/or to make myself look cooool. Rubbish. Im a nobody who loves shooting shit.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Don't suture in the field/woods/camping. It's just bad business. And, you can be sued. The good samaritan act only covers basic BLS..... If you have never had any formal training by and MD, I'd stay away from the sutures totally.

Feedback Score
    I use 3-0 or 4-0 prolene for most lacs in the ER.... Deep layers get 3-0/4-0 monocryl or vicryl...

If you're asking about scarring... don't be sewing. Scaring has more to do with lines of tension than anything else... and on top of that the duration that the suture is in needs to be considered if scarring is a concern.

Healing by secondary intention (doing nothing other than covering) is better for 'dirty' wounds that you can't 'sterilize'...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12