Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Colt 6940

Feedback Score

Colt 6940

Looking to purchase my first AR- have several Fuller AK's, but never took the the AR plunge. I did consider the 6920 before the first AK, but with ammo prices skyrocketing for the AR, I went with the AK. I see the 6940 is now available and need some informed opinions.

Feedback Score
    B65. Had one and wished I had gone with the 6920 because of the short rail that can't be changed out. I had just started to move my support hand out further on the rail, and the 6940 rail left few options. At least with the 6920 I could've gotten the FSP chopped and a longer rail. There are some others that I shoot with that have 'em and they're doing well. (They've had them about 15 months, and nothing but reliable. High count days, but good lube and cleaning.) I did end up selling the upper and kept the lower to put a VLTOR upper and BCM barrel on.

Just my $.02 worth.

Feedback Score
    41 (100%)
    If I were you I would stick with getting the 6920. It leaves you with more accessory options. Both are great carbines though. My first first AR was a 6920 and I'm actually probably gonna get another one as soon as money permits.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    It's an interesting concept.
    Monolithic rails are nice.

I would sooner get a normal 6920 and a gas block and put on a longer, contiguous rail if you felt a rail would help you.

Otherwise there are no greater "benefits" of the 6940 to the 6920.

If you were to buy a Colt rifle to use as a "base" rifle the 6920 would be cheaper and more user friendly to modify, as it were.

That's just my opinion.

Feedback Score
    41 (98%)
    I agree with the above. If the short 7" rail works for you the 6940 is a good choice. If you want a longer rail the 6920 is better.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Belmont31R View Post
    I agree with the above. If the short 7" rail works for you the 6940 is a good choice. If you want a longer rail the 6920 is better.
    I'm seeing a lot of pics on here of people stretching their support arms out straight/nearly straight, and their hand being well out on the gun (esp. with Magpul AFG, and at Magpul Dynamics classes). If this interests you, you will not be able to do that with the 6940 unless you have T-rex arms.
    That said, I bought a 6940 upper awhile back and it has so far served me well.

Feedback Score
    I liked my first 6940 so much I bought a spare. Great gun.

Feedback Score
    I bought four 6940's sequentially serial #'d and put them away for the kids when they get older.

Feedback Score
    I have sequential 6940's and 6920's for the kids when they get older. The girls get the 20's because they're older than the boys and I bought them before the 40's were being produced. They have sequential AK's too. Having four kids is tough!!!

Feedback Score
    I would like to have seen Colt ditch the integrated flip up front sight, and make the rail KAC panel compatible.

I would have preferred execution more like what was displayed in the Colt Tactical line only with a real monolithic rail

Last edited by variablebinary; 09-16-10 at 01:53.
    Kein Mitleid Für Die Mehrheit
    What Happened to the American dream? It came true. You're looking at it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast