Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Officer Safety: Smith & Wesson M&P pistols

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    According to my associate in LA, these guns have not yet been re-approved for duty or off duty use. They will be retested with another class of recruits in October.

Smith is reported to be blaming poor quality control on the extractors. The WinClean ammo is within SAAMI spec.

The "home gunsmith" barrel is an Internet rumor. That gun was not modified by the officer carrying it.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    According to my associate in LA, these guns have not yet been re-approved for duty or off duty use. They will be retested with another class of recruits in October.

Smith is reported to be blaming poor quality control on the extractors. The WinClean ammo is within SAAMI spec.

The "home gunsmith" barrel is an Internet rumor. That gun was not modified by the officer carrying it.
    Not to start a pissing match but who is your associate and are they a verifiable source? Dr. Gary K. Roberts AKA DocGKR is about as reliable a source as they come. Hence the Industry Professional under his name.
    Last edited by Irish; 07-09-09 at 18:34.

Feedback Score
    Irish, not to match a pissing match but Doc is the top in his field. He has not represented himself as a "source" but rather has access to sources.

IF the home gunsmithing barrel split is NOT a rumor . . . I've been skeptically wondering what mod a guy would do to a barrel that would cause it to break in the manner roughly described. Polished a feed ramp?
    Maybe no barrel suffered a catastrophic failure. Maybe just a kb and a bad barrel. It hardly matters at this point. The guns are out in en masse and they'll make the grade long term (most likely) or not.
    "Whatever it's for; it wasn't possible until now!!!" - KrampusArms

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    Irish, not to match a pissing match but Doc is the top in his field. He has not represented himself as a "source" but rather has access to sources.

IF the home gunsmithing barrel split is NOT a rumor . . . I've been skeptically wondering what mod a guy would do to a barrel that would cause it to break in the manner roughly described. Polished a feed ramp?
    Maybe no barrel suffered a catastrophic failure. Maybe just a kb and a bad barrel. It hardly matters at this point. The guns are out in en masse and they'll make the grade long term (most likely) or not.

maybe the end user heard about possible extraction issues, and the fixes being reported was to polish the feedramp/chamber.

If he took TOO much material out of the chamber, that could cause extraction issues to catastrophic failures...

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    I also read Doc's quoted statement above and didn't go up and re-read his edit FWIW. The word "reportedly" makes a huge difference in this case and I don't mean that as an insult to Doc, we all make mistakes.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DrMark View Post
    Thanks DocGKR.

Unfortunately the initial news story makes a much bigger splash than the critical follow-up information such as you have provided.
    Thats usually how it goes...

The 1st story will make Page 1 then the retraction/additional information will appear ~6 months later on the last page next to used car ads.

Either way hopefully the "reported" will turn to "confirmed" here soon.
    It is not length of life, but depth of life. - Emerson
    My boy Ducks fav quote - RIP brother

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011