Thread: HK416 production suspended due to combat failure?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score

HK416 production suspended due to combat failure?

This internet rumor has been proven to be false...

Anyone have a comment, or is able to verify?

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2...ion-suspended/

Tactical Wire claims that significant problems with the HK416 have been uncovered and production has been halted:

The Tactical Wire has learned from very reliable sources that the US military has encountered significant problems with H&K Model 416s in combat conditions. HK has suspended production pending an internal investigation and inspection of that weapon system.

Very interesting if true. I previously reported that Norwegian soldiers were having problems with their HK416s.

Thanks to Ed Friedman for alerting me to this.
    Last edited by Buck; 04-04-09 at 13:57.
    Kein Mitleid Für Die Mehrheit
    What Happened to the American dream? It came true. You're looking at it.

Feedback Score
    That is interesting hearing about problems from such a supposedly, highly reliable gun. I wonder what the significant issues are.
    For God and the soldier we adore, In time of danger, not before! The danger passed, and all things righted, God is forgotten and the soldier slighted." - Rudyard Kipling

Feedback Score
    I remember hearing that soldiers from Norway were having issues, I wonder what the deal is!
    Second Amendment Absolutist!

"Speed costs money, How fast do you want to go?"
    -seen on a speed shop in Michigan

Feedback Score
    My outfit has 4 now and 10 more on order. The initial ones have issues running on the "perfect" HK mag...The guys use USGI mags. They are waiting for the Emags to try. I cannot speak for guys behind the lines for long period in A'stan, but in my experience, these piston M16s are a solution in search of a problem. I never had a stoppage (other than that shitty Winchester or International frangible ammo) in my Commando as long as it was lubed. There were many days in training when it had 500-1000 rounds fired. I have one of mine personal guns to 2500 rds without a drop of lube or cleaning with a NP3ed BCG.

I am curious if this is true and will come out of it. For LEO purposes, I think the money can be much better spent....

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saginaw79 View Post
    I remember hearing that soldiers from Norway were having issues, I wonder what the deal is!
    The Norwegians were choking/feeling after-effects from the new "safer" lead free ammunition.

I suppose they may have had problems with the weapon as well, but the article I saw was dealing with the fumes.

ToddG Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by thopkins22 View Post
    The Norwegians were choking/feeling after-effects from the new "safer" lead free ammunition.
    I was on an agency's range today and the FI brought out a 416 for some shooting. Afterwards, he had a severe sneezing attack. He said something about allergies and the high pollen count but I think it was the 416 fumes!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by thopkins22 View Post

I suppose they may have had problems with the weapon as well, but the article I saw was dealing with the fumes.
    There was also a report of poor cold weather performance. Interesting...
    Kein Mitleid Für Die Mehrheit
    What Happened to the American dream? It came true. You're looking at it.

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    My first question is how relaible is this "tactical wire" thing? I wouldn't put too much stock in this, but that's just me.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by variablebinary View Post
    There was also a report of poor cold weather performance. Interesting...
    Yeah you bring it into the warmth and condensation happens in all the nooks and crannies. When I was in the army (finland) we'd leave our guns (Valmet/Sakos) outside in the cold and not bring them into the tent when out in the field.

Rust is ofcourse less an issue with the alu-based AR/HK models than our steel AK deriviatives but the condensation can freeze again when you bring it out if it hasn't had time to evaporate entierly, which means it can freeze your action and cause cycling problems. Our RK's where quite resiliant against the latter though, just give them a whack, bang them into the ground or whack it against a tree or just rack the bolt.