Page 11 of 27 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: GO SHOOT THE GUN!

Feedback Score
    I fell victim to the same line of thinking with my (so far) only AR. I have a DD lite rail and a railed gas block to go with my CTR stock, BAD lever and MOE grip. Looking back, I probably don't need a free-float rail, and I could have saved money and weight by just using a MOE forearm.

So now, I've got more accessories than I really need. I could send them back. But, I'm officially done agonizing over what is the perfect setup. It's a perfectly good rifle, even a nice one, so I'm going to run with it. The greatest priority for yours truly is to focus on becoming a better shooter.

My next purchase: Ammo. After that, ammo. And some more ammo to go with it. Somewhere in there I may replace the buffer spring and get a new mag or two.

Feedback Score
    I'm probably as guilty as anyone in that my first and only AR as of right now was sort of decked out from the get go.

However it was a journey in itself to get my carbine setup. I spent hours upon hours looking at various gun forums, reading, looking and dreaming.

When the time came to purchase the various parts to my carbine I went with a complete lower with Sopmod. The upper I decided to go with the 14.5" barrel and thus needed a longer flashhider pinned and welded. That decision meant either go with a standard handguard or quad rail. I went with a LaRue. The quad rail has served its purpose just as I had hoped. I have mounted my sling to it, a QD flashlight mount and maybe a bipod down the road. See the rail does its job. Why a bipod, because I have small children that I let shoot and it will help them gain confidence. The flashlight can be moved from 3 o'clock to 9 o'clock position, I shoot left handed and if my older chidren want to shoot at night it takes all of a few seconds to switch around. I'm still shooting the iron sights but that is just because I don't have the funds yet for a RDS.

So yes I added the extras before I shot it but it was also setup with much thought. The biggest reason as stated earlier was the 14.5" barrel which in my opinion mandated some of the goodies from the get go.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by LRB45 View Post
    I'm probably as guilty as anyone in that my first and only AR as of right now was sort of decked out from the get go.
    I don't think you are guilty of anything, you did your research and made an informed decision and it appears from your post that you have a great crabine. I wish I had known better before buying my first AR.

Cameron
    Last edited by Cameron; 12-27-10 at 18:19.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Cameron View Post
    I don't think you are guilty of anything, you did your research and made an informed decision and it appears from your post ghat you have a great crabine. I wish I had known better before buying my first AR.

Cameron
    Thanks for the kind words! Your rifles also are well thought out also, you just have alot more than me.

Feedback Score
    The OP's point is somewhat analogous to the yuppie Harley rider. You know the guy, drops 15K + on his new "HOG", and before it leaves the showroom, he has put 2K worth of bolt on chrome. Nothing done to the engine, carg/fuel inj, brakes, i.e., nothing functional. Go out and ride the damn thing, but if it don't run, chrome it!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Coleslaw View Post
    The OP's point is somewhat analogous to the yuppie Harley rider. You know the guy, drops 15K + on his new "HOG", and before it leaves the showroom, he has put 2K worth of bolt on chrome. Nothing done to the engine, carg/fuel inj, brakes, i.e., nothing functional. Go out and ride the damn thing, but if it don't run, chrome it!
    Hey, there is nothing wrong with safety chrome dude! Although I did do the big bore kit, induction, and carb, and I put 50,000 miles on it in four years.

Cameron

Feedback Score
    "Chrome don't bring you home..."

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    I have collected quite a coection of add ons that seemed like something I had to have at the time. Things like BAD levers and vert grips have only turned out to be bargains for my friends when I sell them off. There have only been a few things that I have found to be worth spending my ammo funds on. A longer rail, because carbine handguards are way too cramped. A MOE pistol grip to allow me a proper grip on the weapon, and p-mags because they work.
    So, beside the obvious additions of good iron sights and a way to attach a sling, I havn't found too much that is worth spending my ammo money on.

Feedback Score
    31 (100%)
    Likewise. After countless hours and dollars rigging stuff up, there are 2 rifles that I pack up every time I go to the club--a stock KAC SR15 and an M4-style carbine that I built. I do have a RDS on that SR but sometimes I just take it off and shoot irons. I confess that I commit the sacrilege of using a carry handle sight on the M4. Maybe I'm trying to purify myself or something.

I have other rifles and I do have interest in them, but for simple shooting pleasure, I prefer to keep it simple.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Quiet-Matt View Post
    I have collected quite a coection of add ons that seemed like something I had to have at the time. .......There have only been a few things that I have found to be worth spending my ammo funds on. ...........I havn't found too much that is worth spending my ammo money on.
    As I was reading this resurrection, this ^^ is what I started thinking. I too have suffered the loss of funds to things I thought would bring a little more usefulness to the gun. I wont specify which items, but I will say that in two instances I uninstalled the "widget" quickly when I tried to run the gun. Not low quality russian or redneck kitchen made stuff mind you, these were legit items that were well made... but they just didn't work for me.

I can see where this would be exponential for new entries into the AR world. Like the man said, GO SHOOT THE GUN. Great advice. For current owners, spend it on training and ammo unless you shoot your partner's rig with "X" item before you purchase and it works for you.
    Last edited by Appalachian; 12-28-10 at 13:08.

Page 11 of 27 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast