Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: $1200 Max Home Protection

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by panzerr View Post
    Well, we're not talking about swat here. We're talking about home defense. If you are worried about taking the fight outside your house and into the streets you had better worry about some jail time as well. If the intruder is outside your house, getting the heck out of dodge, why would you want to gun him down in the street? This is not a scenario from the movies, this could be the real deal.
    Interesting. Can you tell me what the difference is with a SWAT team killing a guy in your home and you doing it???

If the guy has a gun on my property and is shooting at me, I can defensd myself (always better to be judged by 12). If the person is leaving (and not shooting at me), I will not engage him.

I have no idea why you assumed I would have a gun fight in the street. I made no mention of it.

Over-penetration is a liability.
    Sure is! This is why you should stay away from pistol ammo and a lot of shotgun ammo!

If you are like the majority of Americans and live in an urban area and decide it is a good idea to use an M4 inside your house you are a fool. You will put your family and everyone near your house in danger because you will shoot through your walls. Half an inch of sheetrock, a little insulation and 7/16" plywood will not stop a high velocity round.
    Negative. Do some ballistics reading (we have a forum just for that on here). You are VERY un-educated about what high velocity bullets (like the .223) do when they hit a wall.

Aside from that, it is much easier to retain control of a pistol than an AR.
    You can keep your pistol tucked to your side with your hand out to fend off an intruder, while still being able to pump rounds into his gut if need be. Inside close quarters, when it is just you to defend yourself with no back-up it would be much easier for a perp to hide around a corner, wait for that muzzle to come around and get you tangle****ed up with your weapon. This is an easy scenario to imagine, especially if the perp has had any martial arts training that works on close-in fighting, like kenpo.
    I have really no idea why you think any of this. Have you ever been through any CQB shooting schools???

I have had quite a bit. The first thing I realized when I went through my first one is to NEVER go looking through your house for a bad guy! This is a LAST resort kind of thing. Get your ass in your safe room, block the door and call 911 and point weapon at the door.

And I am interested in wounding and incompacitation. Anyone that would say they want to kill is a sociopath or a fool. Would you want to live with that on your conscious? Not an easy thing to do, no matter how justified.

Bird shot is for birds. Do you want to get shot with it? It would ruin your day.
    No problems killing a bad guy. I am putting an end to them EVER hurting someone else again.

Sure. You shoot me with bird shot and I will shoot you with a 75gr TAP. Want to bet who loses that fight??

C4
    Last edited by C4IGrant; 03-21-09 at 16:23.

Feedback Score
    And I am interested in wounding and incompacitation. Anyone that would say they want to kill is a sociopath or a fool.
    If you are interested in wounding you shouldn't be using a gun. Everytime that you pull that trigger it should be center mass.

You may want to invest in a non lethal weapon.

Feedback Score
    And I am interested in wounding and incompacitation. Anyone that would say they want to kill is a sociopath or a fool. Would you want to live with that on your conscious? Not an easy thing to do, no matter how justified.

Bird shot is for birds. Do you want to get shot with it? It would ruin your day.
    If you are using a gun, that means your life is threatened, they probably have a weapon. If you wound them, are they too wounded to use the weapon or did you get them "just enough." That wouldn't be a gamble I would want to take. There are alot of highly knowledgeable people in this thread and I would take their advice

Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant
    Sure. You shoot me with bird shot and I will shoot you with a 75gr TAP. Want to bet who loses that fight??
    now that is funny.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Why do you want an AR to protect your home? I've always considered a pistol with low velocity rounds or a shotgun with bird shot better for protecting the house. If you have any neighbors every squeeze of the trigger on an AR can be a liability.
    Actually, I think that an AR is the perfect HD weapon, and is even better if you have an SBR.

Low recoil and collapsible stock means anybody can use it, plus the low recoil makes it easier to stay on target for followup shots
    Short weapon, even with a 16" bbl.
    RDS easily mounted securely
    Quick reloading
    Has the range if you are fighting outside. Important consideration for me, as I live out in the country.
    Last edited by Avenger29; 03-20-09 at 10:03.
    I'm no expert, but I took my CCW course at a Holiday Inn Express

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Avenger29 View Post
    Actually, I think that an AR is the perfect HD weapon, and is even better if you have an SBR.

Correct.

C4

Feedback Score
    I'd say look for a Charles Daly Defense D-M4, it is set up with proper staking and ready to go. They should be able to be found for around $1,000 plus tax and background check, that will be near $1,100. Get 4 P-Mags for it to start, you can find them for around $15-$18 each. That takes you to your $1200 once you pay shipping.

Wait a paycheck or 3 and get yourself a Streamlight TLR-1 light and you can get an inexpensive front site side mount rail to put it on. That should total out at about $150 plus shipping.

Then, above and beyond your cost for hardware, you need to find ammo and spend some hours getting to know your new tool. Ammo is hard to find currently for just about everything.

This is my Charle Daly D-M4 with the light as I described. The light was crooked, I have since loosened the bolt and adjusted it to be parrallel to the barrel. Also, the scope is from another rifle, it was on there for short term playing. I keep a red dot on it.

I save money using AMSOIL full synthetic lubricants. Do you?
    http://www.lubedealer.com/DiscountPowerParts/home.aspx

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Why do you want an AR to protect your home? I've always considered a pistol with low velocity rounds or a shotgun with bird shot better for protecting the house. If you have any neighbors every squeeze of the trigger on an AR can be a liability.

hahaha, good one! you almost had me.

hahahha...
    never push a wrench...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ra2bach View Post
    hahaha, good one! you almost had me.

hahahha...
    Didn't someone post that crap in the "Dumbest Things You have Heard in a Gun Store" Thread?

...keep your bird shot, I'll keep my AR.
    Last edited by Dave L.; 03-20-09 at 15:26. Reason: wording
    Praise be to the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Owner of MI-TAC, LLC .

@MichiganTactical

Feedback Score
    32 (97%)
    birdshot is for birds
    I must study politics and war, that our sons may have liberty to study mathematics and philosophy. - John Adams

The AK guys are all about the reach around. - Garand Thumb.

Feedback Score
    + 1 Daly M4

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast